799 users online (71 members and 728 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

NJ - Turnersville, 'Baby Christine' Newborn 53UFNJ, in dumpster, Dec'86

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/53ufnj.html

Unidentified White Female Newborn Located on December 4, 1986 in Washington Township, New Jersey
    <LI>Cause of death was asphyxia (suffocation).

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: The child was born the same day as she died and was discovered.
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 7 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark hair and brown eyes.
    • Clothing: She was found inside of a gray plastic kitchen bag wrapped in a multi-colored beach towel (pictured below). The towel is called the Serenghetti Beach Towel and depicts an African plain scene.

Case History
    The victim was discovered in a trash dumpster behind a pizzeria in Washington Township in Gloucester County, New Jersey on December 4, 1986. The coroner determined that the infant had been born, suffocated and located on the same day.
    Her mother is believed to be White as well; she would have been physically showing her pregnancy in the later summer and autumn months of 1986. The mother of the child has never been located.

Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-08-2013 at 02:21 AM. Reason: updated doe network link

Wow thats amazing how they could come up with a sketch of the mother as well. Does it sound a bit strange though how the baby was white but born with brown eyes? I didn't think that really happened until at least a month or so after birth. Maybe they are on the wrong track describing the baby as caucasian? i don't know much on this sort of thing, just going on experience.

tennessee is offline Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .
    I am a caucasian born with brown eyes and so was my brother. Maybe we are oddballs though.

Interesting they did a sketch of what they mother might look like.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one. This one is mine.

I'm still baffled as to how they were able to do a sketch of what the mother possibly looks like and they are still unable to identify the child

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee
    I am a caucasian born with brown eyes and so was my brother. Maybe we are oddballs though.
    Well there you go, LOL! Sorry, I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else by saying that, I don't know much about eye colors at birth to do with races and all that

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    I'm really curious as to how they got the scetch of the mother so I've been researching some newspaper articles. Here's a few bits from various articles (though nothing about the sketch - I think maybe they did an age progression from the baby?):

Baby Christine:

The dead baby girl was found in a silver-colored plastic bag behind Paisano's Restaurant in the Towne Center Shopping Center on Black Horse Pike by a farmer searching for garbage for his pigs - she was dumped there sometime between 1a - 8:30a. The baby was born alive, full term, and only hours old when she died of suffocation. The child is described as a caucasian with a dark complexion. She was a perfect baby girl with black hair.

The child's umbilical cord had been cut, but not in a manner that a doctor would have done. Blood tests confirm that the mother was white. A group of anti-abortion activists associated with the Catholic Diocese of Camden arranged a burial for the infant. Calvary Cemetery in Cherry Hill provided a free plot. The group gave the child a name, ''Christine."

The towel has a picture of a leopard looking down on African plains animals under a purple sky with white clouds. The towel is marked "Copyright 1985 Miller Gilbert Publishing" along the margin. The manufacturer's tag was faded and unreadable. Investigators are checking with the U.S. Patent Office in Washington to see whether the towel was distributed only in this area or sold nationwide.

The Police Benevolent Association Local 318, Washington Township, for the first time ever, offered a $500 reward for anyone able to identify who left left the baby. A local businessman has added $1,000.

Washington Township has a group that offers pregnant young teens and women free counseling as well as free housing, medical care, and support.

I can't believe that someone would not notice that a girl who was previously pregnant was suddenly no longer pregnant and there was no sign of the baby.

Sometimes it is very hard to tell that a teen girl is pregnant. I've had teens in my classes who wear baggy clothes and hide their pregnancies very well. I knew a girl who never bought maternity clothes -- she just needed to wear her jeans unbuttoned in the last couple months of pregnancy. With a big ol' baggy sweatshirt on top of that, unless you knew she was pregnant, you would never guess.

Is the baby mixed race? White mother, but born with dark complexion, dark hair, and brown eyes -- maybe the father was African American, and that's why the mother did what she did.

There must be more information that police have about this which led them to make the picture of the mother. How else could they do it??

mjak

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E
    Is the baby mixed race? White mother, but born with dark complexion, dark hair, and brown eyes -- maybe the father was African American, and that's why the mother did what she did.
    I was thinking mixed race, too. Maybe hispanic. It really saddens me that the mother had all that free help available, but chose instead to kill her little girl.

Didi anyone see all the babies on the Doe's update page? Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters
    Didi anyone see all the babies on the Doe's update page? Sad.
    I know, it's really sad. I think there are at least 1 or 2 abandoned babies across the US every day, some alive, some not.

Baby Christine

Bumping for Baby Christine.

The pic below is the Composite depicting what the mother might have looked like.

From the Doe Network webite Profile

and a picture of the beach towel she was found wrapped in.

Maybe someones memory will be jogged by the photos.

I'm most curious about the photo of what the mom may have looked like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    I'm most curious about the photo of what the mom may have looked like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    There is a composite picture of Baby Christine on the Doe Network website and I think they have taken much of what they think the mother looks like from Baby Christine. There are similarities in the eyes and the face shape.

Im not sure when the composite of the mothers photo was done - it maybe around the time soon after Baby Christine was found.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast