Identified! Canada - Casselman, Ont, 'Nation River Lady' WhtFem 239UFON, 25-50, May'75 *POI charged* - Jewell Parchman Langford

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/cases/239ufon.html

239UFON3.jpg

Unidentified White Female
  • Located on May 3, 1975 in Casselman, Ontario, Canada.
  • Cause of death was homicide by strangulation.
  • Estimated date of death: possibly as early as the summer or early fall of 1974.

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 25 - 50 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3" (160 cm); 100 lbs. (45 kg)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder-length brown hair (recently dyed reddish-blond); blue eyes. Slight build; she had no prior pregnancies. Her appendix had been removed previously and she had bright pink or red enamel on her finger & toe nails that was manicured.
  • Dentals: Available. Extensive dental work. The victim wore partial dentures with porcelain teeth in her upper and lower jaws. Many of her natural teeth had required fillings.
  • Clothing: She was naked except for a blue body suit that had been pulled up over her shoulders.
  • Fingerprints: Available

Case History
On the morning of May 3, 1975, this victim was located floating face down in the Nation River about 100 yards from the Highway 417 bridge. The Nation River is west of Casselman, Ontario and just thirty five miles east of Ottawa.
After recovering the body, it was discovered that the victim's wrists were bound together in front using a man's necktie. Two other neckties had been used to secure the ankles.
The victim's head was wrapped in 2 fringed green cloths. Upon removal of the cloths, investigators found that a kitchen towel had been knotted in the back to form a ligature around her neck. A television cable wire had also been wrapped around the victim's neck, over top of the kitchen towel.
Blood evidence found on the bridge suggested that the victim had been killed 1 to 4 weeks prior to discovery. After a recent (2005) re-examination of the case, experts have suggested that the victim may have entered the Nation River as early as the summer of 1974.

The police recovered the following items with the victim's body:
  • "Irish Toast" towel: This item was manufactured in Ireland, exported to Toronto, Ontario and distributed to stores in Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal. They were sold at $1.39 (Canadian) each and had been stocked in stores for some time. The towel had Irish Gaelic printing on it, spelling out a traditional Irish toast.
  • A decorative necktie known as a 'Canadian Tie' and bearing three Canadian emblems on a navy blue background. The necktie was manufactured in Montreal and had been sold by various stores in the province of Quebec and in the eastern part of Ontario.
  • Partial dentures: Initially, it was believed that the woman's dentures had been manufactured abroad. However, it has now been suggested that the dentures were fairly common in Southern Ontario and Canada in terms of quality and materials.
  • A blue and gray necktie.
  • A red and white necktie.
  • 2 fringed green cloths: each 70 inches long and 48 inches in width.
  • Flat black plastic-covered wire: This was the typical wire used in cable television hook-ups. The plastic wire had a slight splattering of gray paint. Subsequent investigation revealed that the cable was manufactured in Renfrew, Ontario and distributed in the Ottawa, Hull, Montreal and Brockville areas.

• The only real clue was a vague report from a store clerk in Marmora who remembered selling a provincial necktie to a man and woman couple. The woman matched the victim's description, but the store clerk could not remember a date for the sale.

The male with the woman at that time could only be described as possibly 5'4"-5'6" and about 35 years of age.

I read that and thought of this:

http://doenetwork.us/cases/93ufct.html

•Discovered on August 16, 1975 in East Haven, New Haven County, Connecticut.
•Estimated date of death: August 11, 1975.

Vital Statistics
•Estimated age: 18 - 28 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'6"; 125 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, parted in center. Brown/hazel eyes. She had pierced ears. She may have had a small mole under the chin. She possibly had comestic surgery to reduce the size of the nose.
•Dentals: Not Available. Probable orthodontic care.
•Clothing: No clothing located.
Case History
The woman’s strangled body was found by a truck driver on a rainy August 16, 1975, floating in a drainage ditch behind the former Bradlees department store on Frontage Road. She was wrapped in a canvas tarpaulin and she was gagged and bound by black antenna wire around her neck, waist and knees. Police believe she was killed somewhere else and dumped on Frontage Road. She died of asphyxiation by suffocation at least five days prior to discovery.
Dried white paint spots on the tarpaulin might indicate the murderer had connections with the painting trade.

Here's a map showing Casselman ONT, CA to East Haven CT

MAP

Could these be related?

I remember reading about these cases before but not in the same thread, good work, there's similarities between the two definently. Under another thread I think some members came up with the possibility that the lady in the paint tarp could have been a victim of Frank Delano Floyd. I am not sure if anything more came of it or if it was just a theory being tossed around...

It would seem that this Jane Doe was probably killed inside a home because of the types of evidence obtained.

- The two green, fringed cloths (4'X6') are probably table cloths taken from a table and/or linen cabinet.

- The Irish "toast" towell would have been something from the kitchen or bathroom.

- The TV cable with spackles of gray paint could be from a TV in the house/room and could have been still attatched to the wall outlet when the room was painted.

- The use of neckties to bind the victim indicates that the killer used what was available in the house at the time. They probably did not belong to the killer, because he did not care if they were found with the body.

All of the items were available at various towns and areas, but the common one in all of them (and probably the closest) was Ottowa.

The fact that the body was found near a bridge indicates that she was hastily dumped, rather than carefully buried or hidden. She was probably from Ottowa, Canada and abducted by an intruder to her home.

Here is an updated LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/239ufon.html

This unidentified girl was murdered 35 years ago...

This unidentified girl was murdered 35 years ago...
* * * * * * * UPDATE * * * * * * *

2991442.bin

_______________________________________________________________________________________
The latest drawing shows the face of a white woman between 25 and 50 years old. She was 160 centimetres (five-foot-three) tall, weighed 45 kilograms (100 pounds) and had extensive dental work and partial dentures. Her hair was dark brown, shoulder-length and dyed reddish-blonde and she had manicured fingernails painted red.
Photograph by: OPP, .
________________________________________________________________________________________
Nation River Lady remains a mystery

An updated sketch by police is the latest attempt to spark clues that would solve a homicide from 1975, Ian MacLeod reports.

By Ian Mac Leod, The Ottawa Citizen May 6, 2010
OTTAWA — Thirty-five years after her body was pulled from the Nation River near Casselman, Ont., police Wednesday issued a new composite sketch of the Ottawa Valley's most infamous unsolved homicide victim.

After decades of digging, police don't know her name and that anonymity only compounds the crime against her. She may forever be Jane Doe, Plot No. 1654 in Toronto's Mount Pleasant Cemetery. Was she somebody's girlfriend? Wife?

That she apparently was never reported missing suggests the killer was someone close to her. Identify her and the killer may come into focus, too.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Nation+River+Lady+remains+mystery/2991435/story.html

The latest drawing shows the face of a:
  • white woman
  • Height: 160 centimetres (five-foot-three) tall
  • Weight: 45 kilograms (100 pounds)
  • Hair: dark brown, shoulder-length, and dyed reddish-blonde
  • Teeth: extensive dental work and partial dentures
  • Nails: manicured fingernails painted red

For those with strong stomaches, a post-mortem photograph of the woman is posted on the Ontario Provincial Police website (opp.ca) under unsolved criminal investigation branch (CIB) cases. ***WARNING, the content might be disturbing to some viewers)*** Link (select 1975) http://www.opp.ca/cibui/html/displaycase.php?id=105.

Police know virtually nothing about her death, except that she was strangled. Why the killer chose the Nation River along Highway 417 as a dumping ground, the motive and just about every other aspect of the case are pure speculation.

There’s one bit of revealing evidence: a 24-inch piece of television coaxial cable was around her neck. It was manufactured by a Renfrew firm for only a short period in the early 1970s.

Almost two million feet of it was shipped to cablevision firms in Ottawa, Hull, Montreal and Brockville — nowhere else.

That suggests the unidentified woman was attacked in the Ottawa-Brockville-Montreal triangle.

The mystery began about 9:30 a.m. on May 3, 1975.

That was the day that Claude Legault, working the south section of his farm just north of Highway 17, spotted a decomposing corpse face down in the sluggish river, 40 minutes east of Ottawa.

Police retrieved the body and a collection of strange clues led detectives down dead-end paths for years.

Clad only in a long-sleeved, dark blue leotard top bunched up around her neck, the woman was bound hand and foot. Her hands were tied in front with a distinctive navy blue necktie with three small Canadian emblems, possibly flags. Her legs were bound at the ankles by two more ties.

Her head was hooded in an odd array of layered cloth: two pieces of bloodied, green textile, a disposable hand towel and a distinctive Irish linen tea towel.

Loosely wrapped around her neck was the television cable. In her left armpit was a small piece of a curtain rod runner with an attached plastic wheel.

On the bridge railing, police found drops of blood, but not enough to establish a blood type and a link to the victim.

The victim had high-quality upper and lower partial dentures, suggesting a middle-class background. There were 10 fillings in her teeth.

Her appendix had been removed. She had not borne a child. Her larynx was fractured in two places, but there were no other signs of injury. She had eaten a short time before her death and was bound before she was killed.

Because of decomposition, it was impossible to tell if she was sexually assaulted.

Her body is believed to have been in the water for as long as six months before it was discovered.

With the clues and autopsy, police pieced together a sketchy murder theory:

After eating a large meal, the woman, who seemed to take good care of her appearance, was attacked by a man inside a room where the cloths would have been close at hand.

During the attack, she or her assailant pulled down a curtain and, in the ensuing struggle, the chunk of curtain rod lodged in her armpit.

After being overpowered, she was tied up, killed and dumped off the bridge.

There’s no record of the woman’s fingerprints anywhere in the world.

Police combed through more than 700 missing person files — one led them on a fruitless hunt to Switzerland — and ruled out all of them.

Denturists and dental laboratories from Toronto to Halifax couldn’t identify the woman’s elaborate dentures, leading to speculation she might have been a foreigner, but checks outside the country also turned up nothing.

Police knocked on every door within a 25-kilometre radius of the bridge and came up with nothing.

Teams of officers searched dozens of Ottawa-area homes, hotels and motels where the TV cable might have been installed, but found no missing 24-inch strands or places where the cable had been mysteriously replaced. No damaged curtain rods were found in area motels.

The neckties that bound her hands and feet had been made in Montreal and sold in large quantities throughout Ontario and Quebec.

The distinctive linen tea towel had been imported from Ireland by a Toronto company and was sold in large numbers until 1972, making it untraceable, too.

On Jan. 16, 1987, after more than a decade inside Drawer No. 34 at the provincial morgue in Toronto, the woman was finally buried.

A $50,000 reward offered by police remains uncollected. Anyone with information is asked to call the OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health...ains+mystery/2991435/story.html#ixzz0nCKEjCQO

Did they say what types of knots were found-preahps a clue to killer's profession-there was one case where a killer was identifed by this type of clue.
Also were they able to setermine what type of food she' eaten-maybe norrow it down-ethic food=ethic conclaves?

Did they say what types of knots were found-preahps a clue to killer's profession-there was one case where a killer was identifed by this type of clue.
Also were they able to setermine what type of food she' eaten-maybe norrow it down-ethic food=ethic conclaves?
IDK PFF, I haven't read anything about types of knots nor what she had for her last meal :(

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Found this article that contains some more bits and pieces:
The police believe she was thrown into the river from the west bound Highway 417 lane bridge at the Nation River.
"The evidence at what was left at what is believed to be where The Nation River Lady was dropped into the river points to the victim being killed in another location," Faucher said, "We believe that she was in the river for about four weeks but if she had been frozen she could have been dead longer than that prior to her discovery."
Faucher and his team have recovered over 300 missing persons reports from that time period and come up empty.
"We hope that people will view the updated composite picture and give us a tip," Fauncher stressed, "None of our cases are ever closed until we have the answers."
The Government of Ontario is offering a $50,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the murderer of the "Nation River Lady"
locationmurder.jpg

OPP handout
Location of where The Nation River Lady was found
murdermap.jpg

*****WARNING***** The news article contains post-mortem photograph, which might be disturbing to some viewers
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/291603

Nation+River+Lady+Ontario+1975+a.jpg

Nation+River+Lady+Ontario+1975.jpg

They call me “The Nation River Lady” and “one of Canada's most enduring mysteries” - but I would rather just be ME. Thirty-five years is too long to have gone without my own name! Can you help authorities finally figure out who I am?​

On May 3, 1975, I was found floating face down in the Nation River about 100 yards from the Highway 417 bridge. The Nation River is west of Casselman, Ontario and just thirty five miles east of Ottawa. I was wearing only a light blue undershirt or body suit, pulled up to my shoulders. A man's necktie had been used to tie my wrists and two more to tie my ankles. One of these ties was known as a ‘Canadian Tie’ and had three Canadian emblems on a navy blue background.

239UFONtie.jpg

The necktie was made in Montreal and sold by various stores in the province of Quebec and in the eastern part of Ontario.​

There were two fringed, green cloths around my head (one of them a tea towel printed with an old Irish/Gaelic blessing),​
Nation+River+Lady+Ontario++-Tea+Towel.jpg

and a distinctive black plastic-covered co-axial cable had been tightened around my neck. This cable was the type used in cable television hook-ups and there was a splatter of gray paint on it. Investigators learned that the cable was manufactured in Renfrew, Ontario and distributed in the Ottawa, Hull, Montreal and Brockville areas. They estimate that I may have been strangled as early as the summer or early fall of 1974 and thrown into the river.​

The OPP link I posted above contains pdf files that show pictures of items found on the Nation River Lady; will post a few links here:

Photos of Neckties found at the scene
= http://www.opp.ca/cibui/html/cases/1975/955101990098/b1c9e9339983ffb60ab37cd5b40d6474.pdf

Photos of Tea Towels and Cloths found at the scene = http://www.opp.ca/cibui/html/cases/1975/955101990098/950c616c43be232b3327f9a8d9f1320e.pdf

Photos of Victims Dental Plate = http://www.opp.ca/cibui/html/cases/1975/955101990098/cfc74b2294d8c7e11a5c4bdd84293319.pdf

Actual Photo (Cropped) = wont post the link here in case someone doesn't want to see it, and clicks on link my mistake.
The link to the big size photo is @ link below (scroll all the way down, where pdf files links are (view at your own discretion).

Link to OPP page *warning* small size photo of the Nation River Lady at link: http://www.opp.ca/cibui/html/displaycase.php?id=105

I feel almost certain this happened in the woman's home.

I feel almost certain this happened in the woman's home.
Me too Ruby, I feel like she had finished dinner, and was doing the dishes or cleaning up the kitchen. Those towels look more like old-fashion kitchen curtains than tablecloth to me, JMO.
That's why I think something happened in the kitchen (maybe husband, boyfriend) or she went to put the garbage out, and a stranger surprised her on her way back, JMO.

I was cruising around the OPP link and saw this... I clicked on the link and saw what looked like a shrunken head. I enlarged it and WTF! They showed this lady's actual photograph and it was so creepy looking. Anyway, she looks younger than in those sketches to me, the sketches make her look older.

I was cruising around the OPP link and saw this... I clicked on the link and saw what looked like a shrunken head. I enlarged it and WTF! They showed this lady's actual photograph and it was so creepy looking. Anyway, she looks younger than in those sketches to me, the sketches make her look older.

Danaya, I'm sorry you missed the warning signs that are posted right where the post mortem photo link is :(

***WARNING, the content might be disturbing to some viewers)***

also,

*****WARNING***** The news article contains post-mortem photograph, which might be disturbing to some viewers

as well as,

Actual Photo (Cropped) = wont post the link here in case someone doesn't want to see it, and clicks on link my mistake.
The link to the big size photo is @ link below (scroll all the way down, where pdf files links are (view at your own discretion).

Link to OPP page *warning* small size photo of the Nation River Lady at link:

------------

ITA, that she looks older in those sketches, maybe it is the hair style. So sad that after all this time she hasn't been identified. If she was not from the area, and didn't have any family to report her missing, perhaps her neighbours and friends were told by the perp that she went back to her town, province, country?

Hazel

Noooo, I was cruising the OPP website (I do every few months) in the unsolved cases section. It had nothing to do with what you posted. Instead, the OPP didn't post any type of warning. I then typed it in at websleuths here to see if anyone had been discussing this case. I should have been more clear. :blushing:

It's possible she was an immigrant, yeah.

Here are some old news articles about this victim. I couldn't find any from 1975. the earliest one I found was this one from October 1977.

http://http://news.google.com/newsp...866&dq=unidentified+female+nation-river&hl=en

January 17, 1983 article

http://http://news.google.com/newsp...799&dq=unidentified+female+nation-river&hl=en

2008 article about an unrelated case in which the Nation River Lady's case is mentioned.

http://http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/cnw/article.jsp?content=20081023_130502_3_cnw_cnw

Here are some old news articles about this victim. I couldn't find any from 1975. the earliest one I found was this one from October 1977.

http://http://news.google.com/newsp...866&dq=unidentified+female+nation-river&hl=en

January 17, 1983 article

http://http://news.google.com/newsp...799&dq=unidentified+female+nation-river&hl=en

2008 article about an unrelated case in which the Nation River Lady's case is mentioned.

http://http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/cnw/article.jsp?content=20081023_130502_3_cnw_cnw
Thank you Bobby. Will try those links again later or tomorrow; none of them are working for me at this time :/

Nation River slaying victim had webbed feet: police

Last Updated: Friday, November 3, 2006 | 1:32 PM ET

Police have released an intriguing detail in an effort to identify a slain woman in a 30-year-old cold case — the victim had webbed feet.
OPP Det. Insp. Phil George, who is in charge of the case, said someone who was afraid to speak 30 years ago may now be able to do so.

He said he finds it hard to believe that someone didn't know the victim.

"Maybe we just didn't reach out to the right people or they did contact us and we didn't listen," he said this week. "Maybe we just missed it somehow."
ot-nation-river.jpg

Police believe the woman's body was thrown into the Nation River from Highway 417.
Those captivated by her story still search the river banks for clues. (CBC)

RSBM

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/11/03/nation-river.html

Note: info about "webbed feet" = http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Webbed-feet

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back