GUILTY Canada - Melonie Biddersingh, 17, found dead in suitcase, Vaughan, ON, 31 Aug 1994

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://doenetwork.us/cases/153ufon.htmlhttp://doenetwork.org/cases/153ufon.html

Unidentified Black Female

• The victim was discovered on September 1, 1994 in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
  • Cause of Death: Homicide
  • Extensively Burned Remains

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 17-18 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5’5”; 85-100 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: She was probably of North African descent and may have been of mixed race; she was originally thought to have been of East Indian or Nilotic origin (of the Nile region). This would include such countries such as Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Egypt. By definition this person would be a dark skinned Caucasian. Dark, curly hair, which may have been dyed red. She had suffered many broken bones in a car accident or fall in the weeks or months before she was killed: her pelvis had been broken in four places and she had suffered bone breaks to her ribs, vertebrae, left knee and right ankle — injuries like those of "somebody jumping over a balcony trying to get away from somebody." Because she'd received no medical attention, the girl was probably immobile and in excruciating pain in the weeks before her death.
  • Dentals: The girl had a smaller lower jaw, making her front teeth protrude. Her teeth were in good condition. Her only dental work was a single resin filling.
  • Clothing: Three pieces of clothing were salvaged from the suitcase; a black dress with a sheer hem at the bottom, a floral white top and purple nylon track pants.
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • DNA: Available Soon

Case History
The victim was located in an industrial area in the City of Vaughan on September 1, 1994.
The body had been placed in a forest-green suitcase and then set on fire. The remains were extensively burned. All her fingerprints, handprints and footprints were burned off. In her stomach, pathologists found grains that originated in the Nile basin, possibly Ethiopia, Somalia or Sudan. She may have been a newly arrived local member of the North African / East Indian community and a victim of an "honour killing".

I was going to read about honor killings but was having a hard time getting through the info. Maybe someone already knows:

If this were an honor killing, why would they put her body in a suitcase?

jeez, I don't think i heard of this case before, thanks for posting it. Its actually very disturbing, I mean all these cases are of course , but this one has very bizare elements to it. One thing I don't understand is in the description it says a "dark skinned caucasian" yet on the other hand is says "unidentified black female''?
Anyways they seem to think she may be the victim of an honour killing? That makes sense esp with the injuries she was already suffering from and no medical treatment for them. How awful for her. But then like the member above said, does the suitcase fit in with an honour killing? And that whole thing about the foreign grains found in the stomach? This case is very baffling to say the least. Does anyone happen to know of any other suspected honour killings happening around the same area?

coco said:
One thing I don't understand is in the description it says a "dark skinned caucasian" yet on the other hand is says "unidentified black female''?
People from northeastern Africa often have a combination of very dark skin and Caucasian features such as a long narrow face, prominent nose and thinner lips not typical of black Africans. More simply put, they look like Arabs or Persians but have darker skin. These features are not very common in North America so that may explain the somewhat confusing description.

Anyways they seem to think she may be the victim of an honour killing? That makes sense esp with the injuries she was already suffering from and no medical treatment for them. How awful for her. But then like the member above said, does the suitcase fit in with an honour killing? And that whole thing about the foreign grains found in the stomach? This case is very baffling to say the least.
Baffling indeed. Another possibility that comes to mind is illegal immigration as there is evidence that the victim had not been in Canada for long. I'm sure Canadian authorities sifted through all entry visas and other legal Immigration documents in order to ID her but came up empty handed, that's one reason why I'd suspect illegal immigration rather than honor killing in this case. Poor girl, what a horrible agony she must have suffered. Illegal or not, no one deserves such a fate.

I remember seeing this on the news at the time. I think the best chance of solving it was in the beginning, when any memories people might have had of "those strange, quiet neighbours" were fresh. I'm sure, though, that if the woman is identified, so will be her killer(s), as they are almost certainly her family.

I would not put too much importance on the grains originating abroad; if she was an immigrant it is not uncommon to get "care packages" of foods from home. Not knowing anything about the area, they could also have been procured at an ethnic grocer, or a restaurant. Regardless, unless she was fresh off of the boat and had not met anyone, she likely was known in her own ethnic community. Someone in the community has heard a story. They just need to get someone to talk. In addition to being an honor killing, it should be kept in mind that slavery is still an issue, whether chattel slavery (brought over to be someone's maid) or sex slavery (prostitution). Either way, I could see attempting to flee and then being denied medical attention so that she would go unreported. It seems less likely than if her family had killed her - why would they wait long enough for her to partially heal before killing her?

Please help identifiy this young woman/girl who died a horrible death. If wwe can identify her then that will help in finding the horrid person who did this to her. God Bless her soul.

http://www.police.york.on.ca/cold_cases/YRPAG104.HTM

Unidentified female, 14 to 23 years (examination of the skeleton) but closer to 17 to 18 years of age.

The victim had protruding front upper teeth, which were food stained, was approximately 5'5", very slim build, weighed between 85 and 100 lbs, and had dark curly hair, which may have been dyed a reddish colour.

Experts believe that victim was likely of North African origin, was light skinned, was of mixed race, had a single resin filling in the upper left lateral incisor, a class two overbite, and an untreated cavity on the upper right 1st molar. A cause of death was determined as a result of forensic testing, but this information is being withheld by investigators because the cause of death could be known only by the persons responsible for the death of this young girl, and would compromise the investigation. In September 2004 a Forensic Anthropologist, examined the skeleton of the girl found in a suitcase. It was found that this young girl had sustained numberous injuries, believed to be as a result of a fall from a height, or a result of a motor vehicle accident, which resulted in fractures in the lower back, including a number of vertebrae and ribs, the pelvic area, the left knee, and right ankle. This young woman would have been immobile, and as a result would not be able to walk, and was in pain all of the time. Due to the apparent lack of any medical intervention, this young woman was not given treatment for these injuries. These healing fractures were reported to have taken place 3 weeks to 6 months prior to this teen's death. The photographs above are of four different facial reconstructions done by various forensic artists over the past 10 years. If you who this young women is, please call one of the numbers at the top of the page, or submit a tip online to Crimestoppers of York Region.

So sad that this young person has not been identified. I am suprised at the amount of very young adults/ older teenagers who are not able to be identified. Maybe if she was an immigrant and her parents are in their home country, they unaware that she has met an unfortunate end. How sad in every aspect.

Well it states that she had some sort of accident that she would not be able to walk and no one got her any help, maybe her parents were abusive or maybe a husband and none are comming forward because they are responsible, how sad.

The link in the OP goes to a generic error page but she is still unidentified.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/153ufon.html

The thread title "Africa- Female-14-23 yrs., found Sept./1994" is a bit confusing, IMO She is thought to be of North African descent but she was found in CANADA, Ontario. I suggest that the thread is retitled "CANADA Vaughan, Ontario Female of North African descent, 14-23 yrs, September 1994" or something similar.

There are several reconstructions on the DN page.

The victim was discovered on September 1, 1994 in Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
Cause of Death: Homicide
Extensively Burned Remains

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 17-18 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 85-100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark, curly hair, which may have been dyed red. She was probably of North African descent and may have been of mixed race; she was originally thought to have been of East Indian or Nilotic origin (of the Nile region). This would include such countries such as Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia and Egypt. By definition this person would be a dark skinned Caucasian.
Skeletal Findings: She had suffered many broken bones in a car accident or fall in the weeks or months before she was killed: her pelvis had been broken in four places and she had suffered bone breaks to her ribs, vertebrae, left knee and right ankle. Injuries like those of "somebody jumping over a balcony trying to get away from somebody." Because she'd received no medical attention, the girl was probably immobile and in excruciating pain in the weeks before her death.
Clothing: Three pieces of clothing were salvaged from the suitcase; a black dress with a sheer hem at the bottom, a floral white top and purple nylon track pants.
Fingerprints: Not Available
Dentals: The girl had a smaller lower jaw, making her front teeth protrude. Her teeth were in good condition. Her only dental work was a single resin filling.
DNA: Available Soon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was located in an industrial area in the City of Vaughan on September 1, 1994.
The body had been placed in a forest-green suitcase and then set on fire. The remains were extensively burned. All her fingerprints, handprints and footprints were burned off. In her stomach, pathologists found grains that originated in the Nile basin, possibly Ethiopia, Somalia or Sudan. She may have been a newly arrived local member of the North African / East Indian community and a victim of an "honour killing".

There are two listings for this uid, possibly they could be merged? I don't think that it would be possible for her to travel with all of those injuries. If she was, in fact, running from someone and she did jump off of a balcony trying to run from someone, wouldn't there have been witnesses?

There is another listing for this uid, I wonder if they can be merged. I am wondering if this girl was brought to Canada in a situation similar to how a girl was brought to Irvine, CA and worked as a virtual slave for a family?
http://articles.ocregister.com/2006-06-30/cities/24745620_1_egyptian-girl-girl-s-parents-human-trafficking
Possibly, the girl in Canada was in a similar situation and she tried to escape and that is how she got hurt so bad prior to her death. The problem with that is, wouldn't someone have seen and reported it to the authorities?

This thread was started in July 2006 and the DN listing said, "DNA available soon". Well, it's now five years later and it still says the same. I wonder if there is ever going to be any. Maybe there is and the page just hasn't been updated?

I hope that LE looked into it at the time, but I wonder if they spoke with the consulates in the area? Also, it is possible that she drove across the border from the US.

Suitcase murder: Dad, stepmom charged in 1994 slaying of 17-year-old Toronto girl

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...1994-slaying-of-17-year-old-toronto-girl?bn=1

Police have charged a Toronto teen’s biological father and stepmother with first-degree murder in a homicide that’s remained unsolved for almost two decades.

The remains of 17-year-old Melonie Biddersingh were found Sept. 1, 1994 in a suitcase that had been set on fire behind a Vaughan industrial plaza.

The victim had never been publicly identified until this morning, when Toronto police said they had arrested the girl’s father, Everton Biddersingh, 56, and stepmother, Elaine Biddersingh, 50, on March 5 in Welland, Ont.

The decedent has been identified as Melanie Biddersingh, 17. Her father, Everton Biddersingh, 56, and stepmother, Elaine Biddersingh, 50, were arrested in Welland and charged with first degree murder.

2260675890045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

2014116080045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/1321023--murder-charges-in-1994-vaughan-cold-case

Wow! That is totally amazing that they were able to solve this case. I have looked at that case before and wondered if it would ever be solved without a person reported as missing. How did you find out? I am speechless!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back