Snake River's rage turned float trip tragic

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
This is quite a long article.

Moose, Wyo.

Not long after the first golden rays of the morning sun had sparkled on the water June 2, guests at the Jackson Lake Lodge roused themselves from their rustic cabins, devoured breakfast and headed out for the day's activities.

Tourists who'd signed up for a scenic, 10-mile float trip through Grand Teton National Park climbed into vans and were taken to Deadmans Bar - the site where their rafts would be put into the rushing Snake River.

The passengers, who'd paid $45 each, were briefed on safety. They signed liability waivers, though it's not clear how many, if any, actually read them. After all, this was not a wild white-water ride like 30 miles downstream in the Snake River Canyon. This was a float. Only the guide had oars.

They joked and bonded the way tourists do when they're tossed together on an out-of-the-ordinary adventure. About one hour into the scheduled 90-minute trip, a bald eagle lifted off from the top of a tree and circled above the raft. The group gazed at the majestic bird against the blue sky. When they looked back downstream, the laughing stopped

http://www.denverpost.com/ranger/ci_4084446

Well, that cures me of taking anymore float trips. I wonder why this wasn't publicized more? Very sad story.

Holy cow, your right long read...
I always wanted to try that, won't now...
And for not being publicized more, probably didn't want the industry to down the tubes.....:eek:

Great article very very well written. You don't see too many columnist that write that well these days. It was informative and it made the people real, they were not just victims, they were real people.

My daughter and I are taking our first tubing trip next Sunday. I feel SOOO much better now. :-(

curious1 said:
Great article very very well written. You don't see too many columnist that write that well these days. It was informative and it made the people real, they were not just victims, they were real people.

You will be find Glitch....sarcasm floats. :crazy:

Aww porr Glitch!

This story was so sad! Full of "if onlys"......

As for your float trip Glitch I hope you are going down a slow peaceful river here in Fla.!

Seems the fast current was the death dealing element for those poor folks in the story. The raft wouldnt have flipped up in the air if it hadnt rammed the cottonwood at a pretty high rate of speed.

I agree. You need a slow, laaazy river. Best of luck and I hope you have a good time Glitch.

And feel free to :slap: me for the sarcasm remark.

My God, what a horrible thing this was to happen. Those poor people. Can you imagine looking up and seeing that tree coming closer and closer? Heart attack city for sure!

And the article was more like a short book, wasn't it? Very interesting though. 2 years ago I went with our family white water rafting on the Snake River, but it was where the Snake flows south between Oregon and Idaho in Hells Canyon. We even had a couple of #5 rapids. So it kind of hit home with me. Thanks BeyondBelief for the article.

:blowkiss: Scandi

Maybe the companies should check out the river every day before they start out - is that possible? With a park helicopter or something?

It's too bad that resources are so low everywhere; even National Park areas have been cut back on funds the past few years.

Thanks! I always prefer consent when I :slap: someone. :)

I don't know what the river is like, but the highest rapids here in Florida are class three, and that is on the Suwannee River, somewhere around White Shoals in case I am completely off. We kayak South of that, so far, until we get the cajones to kayak the white water. :)

curious1 said:
I agree. You need a slow, laaazy river. Best of luck and I hope you have a good time Glitch.

And feel free to :slap: me for the sarcasm remark.

I cannot imagine you being afraid of anything Glitch.

That was a heartbreaking article. I agree - the writer did a wonderful job with that story.

These poor people! I took a rafting trip one time about 4 years ago on the Kern River in Calif. and I have never been so scared! Our raft ended up tipping up on a rock and me and 3 others were thrown from it. The guide said that it was a Class III rapid that I basically went through, pretty much from the very begining of it.

I just remember thinking that this was the end, I was so scared that when I finally ended up in calm water, I went to the side and insisted on walking back to the camp. My husband (then boy friend) made me get back into the raft. The rest of the river was pretty calm, but I will NOT get back into a raft ever again (unless it is very calm).

My husband had scratches all over his back and I lost my flip flop, he lost his ring that I gave him. I just remember pulling my feet into my chest so I was like a ball floating. My husband and his friend ended up getting the crap beat out of them because they were trying to grab on to branches and rocks. I feel so much for these people....

We go on float trips every labor day weekend. We are not experts at all and the river we go on is nothing compared to the river in the article. When I first caught this thread I was trying to figure out what happened, then I realized they were all in one big raft. When we go we are in our own canoes and have paddles. The river we go on is not as wide or very deep, but still a potential for accidents. I am not blaming the guide at all but you do have to watch for rocks and trees, even in a small river. I am also sure with the current of that river probably they didn't have a chance. Sad Story :/

River rafting is a blast. We love it! I would still do it again....I think!!

Thats so sad for those people. OMG, the horror they must have felt, scary indeed.

curious1 said:
I cannot imagine you being afraid of anything Glitch.
My daughter is recovering from a head injury. I am afraid if we get into rapids too much for her to handle, she will re-injure herself and that can be fatal. It's taking time to wean her up to being able to handle it. You are correct to assume I'd jump in head first if I were only taking myself into consideration. Life is too short to hang on to the edges of it. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back