1371 users online (305 members and 1066 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 697
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    22

    NC - Tim Hennis on trial in the '85 Eastburn murders, Fort Bragg

    Hello. This is my first post so please take it easy on me if anything is done incorrectly . This crime took place in Fayetteville NC in May 1985. The mother (Katie) and two of their three daughters were killed in their home. Tim Hennis was tried and convicted of the murders but after a new trial a few years later was released. I haven't heard if there have been any new developments, arrests or anything have come about in the years since. There is a book written about the case called "Innocent Victims" by Scott Whisnant San

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,005

    Fort Bragg...

    Quote Originally Posted by crimson3
    Hello. This is my first post so please take it easy on me if anything is done incorrectly . This crime took place in Fayetteville NC in May 1985. The mother (Katie) and two of their three daughters were killed in their home. Tim Hennis was tried and convicted of the murders but after a new trial a few years later was released. I haven't heard if there have been any new developments, arrests or anything have come about in the years since. There is a book written about the case called "Innocent Victims" by Scott Whisnant San
    Did this crime occur on an Army Base, or out in the civilian community? Were the victims or suspects military persons? What details do you have?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,356

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    22
    The crime did not take place on a military base but in the civilian area of Fayetteville but very close to Fort Bragg. The victims' husband was in the military. The man accused but later released was also in the army stationed at that time, at Fort Bragg. Just as Hollow posted, all I was able to find online was that trivia game relating to this case. I read the book several years ago and just thought I would look to see if anything was ever discovered about the case. I thought someone here at websleuths may have more current info (the book was published in 1993). I couldn't find anything on the North Carolina websites involving unsolved crimes about this case.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,005

    Cold vs Solved Case...

    Quote Originally Posted by crimson3
    The crime did not take place on a military base but in the civilian area of Fayetteville but very close to Fort Bragg. The victims' husband was in the military. The man accused but later released was also in the army stationed at that time, at Fort Bragg. Just as Hollow posted, all I was able to find online was that trivia game relating to this case. I read the book several years ago and just thought I would look to see if anything was ever discovered about the case. I thought someone here at websleuths may have more current info (the book was published in 1993). I couldn't find anything on the North Carolina websites involving unsolved crimes about this case.
    The link features the story of this case mainly from the position of the Defense Lawyers as they presented their case. It is quit obvious, however, that the Prosecutors believed strongly in the case against him. In their minds and the minds of the police investigators, this was a SOLVED case, never a COLD one. Even though the suspect was found Not Guilty in a subsequent trial, it would seem that there is no official incentive to pursue the case further.

    The story is a fascinating one, and there are some interesting theories presented in the end. It would be interesting to see what DNA would say about the case today.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    22

    21 year old Fort Bragg murders

    They read your mind Richard.


    November 10, 2006


    RALEIGH, N.C. -- A retired soldier recalled to duty so he could be prosecuted for a 21-year-old murder and rape of an Air Force officer's wife and daughters says he didn't do it. That's according to his attorney.

    Timothy Hennis, charged yesterday with three counts of premeditated murder and one count of rape, was acquitted in a civilian retrial held after being convicted and sentenced to death in 1986 by a Cumberland County Superior Court jury. www.nbc17.com/news/10292049/detail.html
    Last edited by crimson3; 11-10-2006 at 10:42 PM. Reason: too much of page transferred

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    3,642
    Military officials on Thursday charged Master Sgt. Timothy Hennis with murder and rape in connection with the May 12, 1985, slayings of Kathryn Eastburn and her daughters -- Kara, 5, and Erin, 3. All three were stabbed to death in their Summer Hill Road home near Fort Bragg, and Kathryn Eastburn was sexually assaulted before being killed, authorities said.



    Hennis was convicted of the crimes in 1986 and was sentenced to die. But he won an appeal of the conviction and was acquitted in his 1989 retrial.



    Cumberland County investigators said in September that DNA evidence unavailable for testing in 1989 connected Hennis to the murders.



    Because double jeopardy prevents the state from retrying Hennis in the case after his acquittal, the Army recalled him to duty and ordered him back to Fort Bragg so a military court could examine the case.

    more at the link http://www.wral.com/news/10293562/detail.html
    Retired 08/03/03

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    JBPHH HONOLULU, HAWAII
    Posts
    70

    Whoa!

    Geez..... I don't know what to think after that little tidbit! Gosh this story is amazing! Usually I can pick out the murderer at least on tv in the first five minutes but this ones got me stumped! I would really like to see this DNA evidence that they have. How do you explain all the witnesses, finderprints, and the shoe size difference? Maybe the dude had sex with her and then left with the dog. I just can't get past the van and this Cone guy ...... something just isn't gelling right for me. Oh and the post card code and the winn dixie guy giving two different stories about his scratches. And what about the freaky babysitter? And why leave the baby untouched? BUT-I loves me a mystery!

    After reading this stuff and in allof the forums it just makes me wonder how in the world do some of these people get so far gone and so messed up? Some days I just can't get back on this website because of the terrible things that people can do to each other. I am so freaked out sometimes when I take my children out into the world. It just saddens and sickens me so at the same time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,090
    The movie "Innocent Victims" is replaying today on Lifetime. The movie, of course was made before the new DNA showed Hennis connected to the murders.
    This is one of the most interesting cases to come along in awhile. Hennis was first convicted and spent 2 years on Death Row. His conviction over turned and he was aquitted on a second trial.
    Now after all this time and this case being used by the anti death penalty advocates, it seems Hennis indeed could very well be guilty.

    His article 32 hearing was delayed in March and should be happening in April or May..2007.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    2,090
    Court Martial has been recommended.

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,918

    Tim Hennis/Eastburn Murders

    Hennis now is 49. He remains the only suspect in the May 9, 1985, murders of Kathryn Eastburn, 31, and two of her three daughters 5-year-old Kara Sue and 3-year-old Erin Nicole in their Summer Hill Road home. A 22-month-old was found alive in her crib.

    http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=270086

    Does anyone have any insight or opinions on this case?

    I've seen the movie and I'm trying to hunt down the book.

    This is a very interesting turn of events. I can't find much on the internet. I wonder what DNA evidence they have.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,918
    Another article

    A Fort Bragg soldier is facing a capital murder court martial for a triple murder more than 20 years ago.


    http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=5580009

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMom2003 View Post
    Hennis now is 49. He remains the only suspect in the May 9, 1985, murders of Kathryn Eastburn, 31, and two of her three daughters 5-year-old Kara Sue and 3-year-old Erin Nicole in their Summer Hill Road home. A 22-month-old was found alive in her crib.

    http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=270086

    Does anyone have any insight or opinions on this case?

    I've seen the movie and I'm trying to hunt down the book.

    This is a very interesting turn of events. I can't find much on the internet. I wonder what DNA evidence they have.
    Hi,
    I actually own this book (it's somewhere in a box in my garage) and read it quite awhile ago. I remember thinking that there were an awful lot of coincidences involved in this case. Tim Hennis got the dog from this woman, and a few days later, she and her children are brutally murdered (and I have to warn you, the crime scene descriptions are seriously disturbing--especially the descriptions about the children). Tim was seen burning items in a barrel in his backyard the day after the murders, and someone ID'd him as looking very similar to person seen leaving the Eastburn residence in the very early morning hours after the murders. I wish I could remember more about this case--maybe I'll go fish the book out and read it again. I remember there was some catch in the book about a neighborhood woman who was delivering the papers and passed a van parked at the Eastburn residence and a man (whom she said was NOT Tim Hennis) carrying a full garbage bag out of the house before daylight around the time of the murders. Apparently, while Tim Hennis was under investigation (and possibly already in jail), this woman (who remained quiet out of fear) was being stalked by someone who kept calling her & saying that he knew where she lived and that he'd be right over. Apparently Katie Eastburn had received some calls similar to this before her death. Half-way through the book, I was convinced that Tim Hennis committed this murder, and then the last half of the book I started thinking maybe it was a case of mistaken prosecution. I think of this case once in awhile, and I still flop back and forth on whether I think Tim Hennis had anything to do with it.
    Anyways, I'll go try to find the book and see if there was any potential DNA evidence left at the scene and get back to you.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,050
    I remember reading and hearing about this case....I think they even made a movie about it if I remember right.

    I found this article http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/674587.html

    I have a question they aquitted him.....so doesnt that mean they can't retry him? Or is that only if you are found "not guilty" is not guilty the same as being aquitted?
    Misty

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyGirl View Post
    I remember reading and hearing about this case....I think they even made a movie about it if I remember right.

    I found this article http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/674587.html

    I have a question they aquitted him.....so doesnt that mean they can't retry him? Or is that only if you are found "not guilty" is not guilty the same as being aquitted?
    I am under the impression that Hennis cannot be retried in the civilian court system, but he can be tried under the military court system (sounds like they are trying to court martial him--I don't know if this will result in jail time or just a loss of military retirement benefits). If it is his DNA, I feel like he deserves a huge amount of jail time for the pain he inflicted onto that poor family.

    In another case that occurred in Fort Bragg, Jeffrey MacDonald was initially pursued and acquitted under the military justice system, but years later was tried and convicted in the civilian court system. I hope I have this info right, but it's what my recollection is--that double jeopardy applies within either the civilian or military courts but not across the two.

Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Deceased CA - Stephen Pease, 57, Fort Bragg, 28 Oct 2013
    By nikb in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 09-06-2016, 12:46 PM
  2. NC - MacDonald family murders at Fort Bragg, 1970 - Jeffrey MacDonald innocent?
    By hockeymom in forum Past Trial Discussion Threads
    Replies: 1367
    Last Post: 04-26-2016, 05:36 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 06:15 PM
  4. conditions in a barracks at Fort Bragg
    By Linda7NJ in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 09:07 PM

Tags for this Thread