Marlin Catches Fisherman . . . Strange Twist

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
HAMILTON, Bermuda (AP) -- A fisherman was recovering from surgery after he was speared in the chest and knocked into the Atlantic Ocean by a blue marlin during a fishing competition off Bermuda's coast.

Ian Card, 32, was in stable condition at King Edward VII Hospital in the British Island territory from a wound that his doctor said could have been fatal.

"He was very lucky," said Dr. Christian Wilmsmeier. "It was a very serious injury."

Card and his father, Alan, both operators of a charter fishing boat and experienced marlin fishermen, had just hooked the fish Saturday when it suddenly leapt out of the water, impaled Ian Card just below his collar bone and knocked him into the ocean.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/07/24/bermuda.fisherman.ap/index.html

Paybacks are heck.

Jeana (DP) said:
HAMILTON, Bermuda (AP) -- A fisherman was recovering from surgery after he was speared in the chest and knocked into the Atlantic Ocean by a blue marlin during a fishing competition off Bermuda's coast.

Ian Card, 32, was in stable condition at King Edward VII Hospital in the British Island territory from a wound that his doctor said could have been fatal.

"He was very lucky," said Dr. Christian Wilmsmeier. "It was a very serious injury."

Card and his father, Alan, both operators of a charter fishing boat and experienced marlin fishermen, had just hooked the fish Saturday when it suddenly leapt out of the water, impaled Ian Card just below his collar bone and knocked him into the ocean.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/07/24/bermuda.fisherman.ap/index.html

Truly the one that got away!

More here:

"The fish was airborne going across the full width of the boat and my son was standing up about eight feet from the stern," said Mr. Card. "It impaled him with its bill, a bill of about two-and-a-half or three feet long. All in one motion the fish flew across the cockpit and took him out of the boat. He landed about 15ft away. The fish was on top of him. He was underwater and he had his arms wrapped round the fish and the fish was pushing him under.
"I lost sight of him for a few seconds. As a father looking at a son that's just been impaled it's quite an experience. That's a sight I'll never forget. I knew there was no good going to come out of it."
He said his son emerged alone surrounded by a pool of blood some 50ft behind the boat. "He put his hand up to his chest and his fingers disappeared," said Mr. Card, 58. "He had a wound in his chest about as big as your fist."

http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060724/NEWS/107240112

The blue marlin has returned to base and is in the process of discussing tactics with his fishy friends!

I certainly can not beat that story, but have discovered over the years that getting to be an old fisherman is no fun either.
For 40 years I have blue fished in the Long Island Sound with a friend on his boat. Now the Sea Bass are starting to come back. (Looking at the condition of the sound it would astound you as to why any fish would want to be there.)
Sorry, I wandered! End of the story is that for the last two years we have been fishing deeper reefs (130 feet) catching bigger fish, and I have cracked a rib with my pole both times.
The catching is good, but the pain ain't. Puca

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back