LA - Unsolved deaths of 22 young men puzzle families, authorities, Houma, 2006

Toby

Rest in Peace
Reaction score
HOUMA -- They roamed the streets at night. If they were lucky, they traveled on bicycles or caught rides with friends.

Almost all had addresses but most of them called the street home. They lived on the fringe, and now all are dead.

Their deaths remain unsolved more than a year after a southeast Louisiana police chief speculated openly that the slayings of five Houma-area men were probably the work of a serial killer.

link:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/police/3406161.html?c=y&hid=-1031613388

I tried to keep a thread going about this. Managed until 18-19 bodies but I am sure it is well buried by now.

Honestly, the area is not that populated and if LE would devote some resources and get some press then it would have saved some, maybe.I find it abhorrent that an obvious serial killer is operating and continuing to pluck young men from the area and it is barely noticed.

The same thing happened in Baton Rouge. 60 missing and murdered women over a 20 year time.They caught 2 serials with a total of prox 15 between them, could be more. But, the point is who is the serial(s) responsible for the rest?

I think Houston inherited one of them.Speculation on my part but it fits since Katrina hit and they let sex offenders out and they didn't register. Too many murders with the same MO.

Question - does anyone else think the "success" of serial killers is directly related to LE's refusal to admit one is in their midst? Seems to me LE puts their hands over their eyes and pretends as long as possible that a serial killer doesn't exist until one smacks them in the face.

bykerladi said:
Question - does anyone else think the "success" of serial killers is directly related to LE's refusal to admit one is in their midst? Seems to me LE puts their hands over their eyes and pretends as long as possible that a serial killer doesn't exist until one smacks them in the face.

I don't know about LE everywhere, but in Louisiana I would say yes that is the operational mode.

If you read the article even a family member says no serial killer. It seems like it is a sin to admit there is a serial killer or they don't fully understand what that means.

I agree bykerladi!

I live in the Phoenix Metro area, and we have 2 serial killers around right now. Terrifies the daylights out of me! They have been active for almost a year each, however, the police are JUST NOW making task forces, and handing out flyers, and having press conferences. They're JUST NOW releasing miniscule details about the crimes, especially in the case of the rapist where he actually makes contact verbally with most of his victims prior to attacking and burglarizing/raping/murdering them. A lot of victims could have been saved if they had known what to look for. Now everyone knows, the killers are scared (they haven't attacked in a week or so - both of them even) and people are safe(er)...I hope, at least.

The other guy is a big huge ?? because there doesn't seem to be an MO, besides shooting people who stand alone or are walking by themselves. There is no 'type' of victim - he'll shoot males, females, black, white, hispanic, asian, old, young, and even animals. Heck! There are speculations that he may drive different cars and use different guns! How the heck do we protect ourselves from that??

bykerladi said:
I have found that LE is always resistant to admit that their is a serial killer in their midst. It is a nightmare for them because of the public unrest. How can so many men go missing in a certain area and that not be a possibility that must be explored? If these young men knew there was a predator that was targeting them, then maybe they could have taken precautions...so very sad!

Serial killers operate in a different mode, lilsister. The MO varies from one to another but for the most part they don't want to be caught. So, precautons are always in place for any event.

Its pretty obvivous its a gay serial killer, one who preys on male prostitutes much the way the straight ones prey on female hookers. A lot of families don't want to admit their children were gay, much less selling themselves on the street, so you're going to get reluctance on several levels in acknowledging a problem.

I know that the typical response to LE not wanting to admit to a serial killer is that they don't want to cause a panic. What I don't get is why not??? Isn't knowledge the best weapon? Do people really start shooting their teenagers when they go to the bathroom in the middle of the night because they think/ know that a serial killer is on the loose? Are there actual records of this kind of thing? Vigilantes? What??? I really don't understand. I want to know what is going on, and I resent not being "trusted" enough to be told. Does anybody out there have an answer for LE's logic on this?

No details out yet, but a special report on TV said there has ben a break in the case. There is no story on the local websites yet. I will look after the news tonight though and get back to you all.

This is my hometown...they've arrested someone in connection with only 2 of the 22 murders; it's on the MSN news website.

I moved away about 6 years ago but my family is still there... I have to say NO ONE from home was concerned about this!! Even after it came out that there was a possible SK (not until 6 or so months ago) still no one was concerned...I guess since most/all of the victims were from a "risky" lifestyle...I don't know.

I think since most of the victims were found along several parishes no one put the pieces together that it was a possible SK.

I actually know someone that was supposed to have been questioned about the murders...now that hits close to home!!

http://www.houmatoday.com is the local newspaper website...they will be updating the story as they receive info.

Thanks all for the info. I am glad an arrest has been made in this case as it has been a long time in catching this SK.

concernedperson said:
Thanks all for the info. I am glad an arrest has been made in this case as it has been a long time in catching this SK.
I think since the bodies were scattered throughout 3 or 4 different parishes they didn't have a *connection* until several months ago. But I have to tell you, even after they announced a SK could possibly be in their midst it wasn't concerning to many people. Now I wonder how many of these twenty something murders are really connected...

Hopefully they will release why the victims were shoeless and if indeed the killer washed their feet like a religious ritual.

I am so glad they have made an arrest!

http://www.houmatoday.com

An updated article says he's admitted to killing at least 11 men so far...also, that he has serious heart problems <~~:loser:

The sheriff will hold a news conference Monday to "offically" report news.

December 04. 2006 3:34PM

Serial-killer suspect confessed to 23 murders

Latest update: 2:55 p.m. Monday
The serial-killer suspect is being charged with nine additional counts of murder, all in Terrebonne.

At a news conference that started at 2 p.m. today, authorities detailed additional allegations against Ronald Joseph Dominique, 42, of Bayou Blue.

He was arrested Friday and initially charged with the murders of two Jefferson Parish men, and additionally charged with the rape of one.

Police investigating the unsolved murders of 23 men from south Louisiana have questioned Dominique throughout the weekend. They say he confessed to killing all of them........

You can go to the website on the previous post for the entire story....

czechmate7 said:
http://www.houmatoday.com

An updated article says he's admitted to killing at least 11 men so far...also, that he has serious heart problems <~~:loser:

The sheriff will hold a news conference Monday to "offically" report news.

With reference to the arrest charge of rape some years ago that was dropped.The victim couldn't be found to testify....I wonder if he killed that person too.

This perp is exactly what I pictured him to be. Loner and underemployed with a temper. The shoes were probably more of a trophy than any religious ritual. He must have a stack of them hidden somewhere.

Serial-killer suspect tells police why he did it
Latest update: 4:10 p.m. Monday

The man who allegedly admitted to murdering nearly two dozen men told authorities he did so to keep them quiet after raping them.

Ronald Joseph Dominique, 42, of Bayou Blue, is formally charged with killing 11 men over a period spanning nearly a decade. Police say he’s admitted to killing 23, and there may be others whose deaths haven’t been discovered yet.

He targeted men with a transient life-style, those who walked or relied on a bicycle for transportation and may have had drug or alcohol problems.

Some of those men were gay, others performed sex acts with men or women for money, authorities have said.

Dominique told police he lured the men by promising them money in exchange for sex. Sometimes the men agreed to have sex with him, other times they agreed to have sex with Dominique’s “wife” after he showed them a photograph of an attractive woman. Police say Dominique had no wife and made that story up.
http://houmatoday.com

I heard a news report today and it said that the creep was living in a homeless shelther. I wonder what he did with the shoes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pinkfloyd44!
Back