Jockey Head-butts Horse

Pharlap

Former Member
Reaction score
City Affair was being unruly in the parade ring, ultimately throwing O'Neill. The jockey got to his feet and grabbed the reins, pulling the horse to him, before lowering the butt of his helmet into it.

"When I got to the start he headed straight for a car with me, stopped five feet from the car, whipped round and dropped me," O'Neill said. "I landed on my feet, but a bit awkwardly for my knee and I was a little bit angry then, but I've never done anything like this before and I'm glad to say the horse is OK after it."

What a nasty person.....
He couldn't control his horse so took it out on him........:furious:

http://www.comcast.net/sports/others/index.jsp?cat=OTHERSPORTS&fn=/2006/07/25/441609.html

I saw this on the news, I think some one should headbutt him with a helmet on and see what he thinks....this kind of things really pi$$*$ me off....:furious:

IM really glad the horse is ok and in no way am I condoning animal cruelity, lol but man I wish I would have saw that! Im surprised the horse didnt headbutt him back lol the guy would have been in a world of hurt then!

I am an absolute animal lover and at first I thought this story was actually amusing, but....as I read the article I realized there were other issues. He was 'given a caution by stewards for his use of the whip in the race' and something about his handling of a horse earlier in the year doing hurdles. Sounds like he might not be the best guy for this kind of job.

More than likely this is not the first time he has mistreated this horse, he just got caught this time.

Hate folks who are animal abusers, it hurts my heart.

He ought to be horse whipped.... honestly he obviously can't control his emotions let alone a horse..must not be a very good jockey.

I think this is horrid...creepy little man.... :sick: :sick: :sick:

Lynie

Pharlap said:
Found the vidio link to this....
Scoll down to the headbutt.....
http://www.cnn.com/

Hi Pharlap! How'd I know you'd be on this thread. lol

I couldn't find the video. I probably looked too late.

What's wrong with people? If they can't deal with animals without losing control then they should stay away from them!

montana_16 said:
Hi Pharlap! How'd I know you'd be on this thread. lol

I couldn't find the video. I probably looked too late.

What's wrong with people? If they can't deal with animals without losing control then they should stay away from them!

I changed the link, this one works......:blushing:
When you watch it, this jockey is a real bad rider.
I've stayed on much worse bucks then that....

http://wcbstv.com/sports/local_story_207092319.html

The owner of the horse needs to fire this jockey, pronto.

Pharlap.......you are wearing the hat of a true champion....I gather you know what I mean by your choice of nics.

I noticed his "apology" was more along the lines of being sorry that people had to see him head-butt the horse, not for actually doing it. Of course, that's just how I read it. He is indeed a sad little man. And like many of you pointed out, he has a history of not being able to control the horse he's riding. Perhaps that's natures way of telling him he stinks at his chosen profession!
:loser:

The horse threw him. In reality he stood more of a chance of being hurt/killed than the horse. If you don't reassert your dominance with the animal immediately after such an incident it will continue to fight and possibly even try and stomp you to death. There's a reason taming a animal that huge is called "breaking".

Ever work around horses? We owned one, until my father realized how dangerous a willful horse can be around children after I was repeatedly bitten and had the horse step on my foot and it kick my younger sister. If a horse takes a dislike to you, they can do some real damage.

Horses are pretty to look at but I'll never get close enough to one for it to reach over and take a bite out of my forearm again.

BillyGoatGruff said:
The horse threw him. In reality he stood more of a chance of being hurt/killed than the horse. If you don't reassert your dominance with the animal immediately after such an incident it will continue to fight and possibly even try and stomp you to death. There's a reason taming a animal that huge is called "breaking".

Ever work around horses? We owned one, until my father realized how dangerous a willful horse can be around children after I was repeatedly bitten and had the horse step on my foot and it kick my younger sister. If a horse takes a dislike to you, they can do some real damage.

Horses are pretty to look at but I'll never get close enough to one for it to reach over and take a bite out of my forearm again.
Wow, I ABSOLUTELY can't let this one go without a comment. The BarnGod and I raise horses. We breed them. We just lost a beautiful Suffolk Punch Draft stallion. You know what, he was a pussycat! I now have a two year old quarter horse stallion from a fabulous line. He also is gentle and definitely my "stud-muffin". I even checked, by hand, the other day to see if his testicles were dropping. Absolutely no problem. We have just gathered 4 babies in for GENTLING. True we did have to rope one of the colts to get a halter on him. His mother is a Nervous Nellie, and we didn't get him in earlier. He was born in the pasture and we let it go for a while. But, you know what? It took me 10 minutes of easy, gentle work. I was able by then to reach under his tail and scratch his little butt cheeks. Now that's a sign of trust. Nipping? Real easy to stop. Horses play nip mommas, each other. Nothing wrong, They also teach each other lessons if the nipping gets out of hand. So, if the nip looks like it's going to come, I just grab his upper lip and squeeze. I then get my fingers under the lip and rub his gums. I am playing back. This quick and gentle response lets him know his behavior is not acceptable. I (LOL) "nip" it in the bud.

I caught my step-daughter smacking one of the colts we were STARTING (not BREAKING). She claimed the cold was going to come at her with two front feet. Nope, just trying to flee, as is their nature. I told here she would be banned from my ranch if she ever smacked or hit or bullied a horse. She's an adult, but doesn't believe in the newer methods. She says she doesn't have the patience or time.

The BarnGod and I have gone to several Pat Parelli seminars and have taken the courses. We also imprint the foals at birth.

I can walk out into my pasture, in the middle of the herd, of huge Belgians, large Suffolks, Quarter Horses, Standardbred, Apaloosa, and even a BLM mustang, and a donkey, and have absolutely no fear. We are partners and friends. I will admit that I'm the "alpha" horse when I am among them. I may be the dominant critter at the moment, but it's an attitude of confidence, not brutal, whip carrying arrogance. Each horse gets a rub, a scratch and probably a treat.

Horses are large animals who can hurt you, but they're domesticated and have been our work partners for thousands of years. To get the most from your horse, you need to be a partner and establish a mutual trust.

Ok, I'll get back off my soapbox. Billy, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I would bet the horse you got was older and had been mistreated. I'm sure you would have a different attitude if the horse you had was gently started and had been given love and respect.

BarnGoddess said:
Wow, I ABSOLUTELY can't let this one go without a comment. The BarnGod and I raise horses. We breed them. We just lost a beautiful Suffolk Punch Draft stallion. You know what, he was a pussycat! I now have a two year old quarter horse stallion from a fabulous line. He also is gentle and definitely my "stud-muffin". I even checked, by hand, the other day to see if his testicles were dropping. Absolutely no problem. We have just gathered 4 babies in for GENTLING. True we did have to rope one of the colts to get a halter on him. His mother is a Nervous Nellie, and we didn't get him in earlier. He was born in the pasture and we let it go for a while. But, you know what? It took me 10 minutes of easy, gentle work. I was able by then to reach under his tail and scratch his little butt cheeks. Now that's a sign of trust. Nipping? Real easy to stop. Horses play nip mommas, each other. Nothing wrong, They also teach each other lessons if the nipping gets out of hand. So, if the nip looks like it's going to come, I just grab his upper lip and squeeze. I then get my fingers under the lip and rub his gums. I am playing back. This quick and gentle response lets him know his behavior is not acceptable. I (LOL) "nip" it in the bud.

I caught my step-daughter smacking one of the colts we were STARTING (not BREAKING). She claimed the cold was going to come at her with two front feet. Nope, just trying to flee, as is their nature. I told here she would be banned from my ranch if she ever smacked or hit or bullied a horse. She's an adult, but doesn't believe in the newer methods. She says she doesn't have the patience or time.

The BarnGod and I have gone to several Pat Parelli seminars and have taken the courses. We also imprint the foals at birth.

I can walk out into my pasture, in the middle of the herd, of huge Belgians, large Suffolks, Quarter Horses, Standardbred, Apaloosa, and even a BLM mustang, and a donkey, and have absolutely no fear. We are partners and friends. I will admit that I'm the "alpha" horse when I am among them. I may be the dominant critter at the moment, but it's an attitude of confidence, not brutal, whip carrying arrogance. Each horse gets a rub, a scratch and probably a treat.

Horses are large animals who can hurt you, but they're domesticated and have been our work partners for thousands of years. To get the most from your horse, you need to be a partner and establish a mutual trust.

Ok, I'll get back off my soapbox. Billy, I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I would bet the horse you got was older and had been mistreated. I'm sure you would have a different attitude if the horse you had was gently started and had been given love and respect.
It was a mustang, which my father got from a government conservation program in the early 60s, when they were trying to keep the herds from ending up in dog food cans. Meaning it was a horse as nature makes a horse.
It didn't calm down enough to have children around it until my uncle, who was half-indian, came over and broke it in. He finally had to take it off out hands and put it on the rez in Oklahoma. The thing nearly killed my sister, charging at her and kicking her in the head. The ancient humans who first decided they could tame those things had balls the size of boulders.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back