Tour De France Winner Floyd Landis Fails Doping Test

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Floyd Landis' stunning Tour de France victory just four days earlier was thrown into question Thursday when his team said he tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race.

The Phonak team suspended Landis, pending results of the backup "B" sample of his drug test. If Landis is found guilty of doping, he could be stripped of the Tour title, and Spain's Oscar Pereiro would become champion.

It wasn't immediately known when the backup sample will be tested.

Efforts to reach Landis were not immediately successful. But Arlene Landis said her son called Thursday from Europe and told her he had not done anything wrong.

"He said, 'There's no way,'" she said in an interview with The Associated Press at her home in Farmersville, Pa. "I really believe him. I don't think he did anything wrong."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060727/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_floyd_landis_18&printer=1

There is a Tour De France thread in the Jury Room where Buzz has posted this unfortunate news. I surely hope that Floyd is cleared. I want to believe that he did nothing wrong. I guess that we will have to wait and see what the results of the tests are on his backup sample.

nanandjim said:
There is a Tour De France thread in the Jury Room where Buzz has posted this unfortunate news. I surely hope that Floyd is cleared. I want to believe that he did nothing wrong. I guess that we will have to wait and see what the results of the tests are on his backup sample.
That thread should be moved here, as this is where sports news goes. Maybe a Mod can do it?

Dark Knight said:
Floyd Landis' stunning Tour de France victory just four days earlier was thrown into question Thursday when his team said he tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race.

The Phonak team suspended Landis, pending results of the backup "B" sample of his drug test. If Landis is found guilty of doping, he could be stripped of the Tour title, and Spain's Oscar Pereiro would become champion.

It wasn't immediately known when the backup sample will be tested.

Efforts to reach Landis were not immediately successful. But Arlene Landis said her son called Thursday from Europe and told her he had not done anything wrong.

"He said, 'There's no way,'" she said in an interview with The Associated Press at her home in Farmersville, Pa. "I really believe him. I don't think he did anything wrong."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060727/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_floyd_landis_18&printer=1

Lol, maybe he just has big balls:innocent:

Seriously, do the French go about and spike the American urine samples every time someone from the United States wins?

Landis himself has probably seen all of the crap that Lance has gone through. Do you think he would actually be stupid enough to dope for the biggest race of the year, when they would be extremely tight with their drug testing?

Dark Knight said:
That thread should be moved here, as this is where sports news goes. Maybe a Mod can do it?
I beg to differ with you DK. I started the Tour de France thread and put it in the Jury Room as it was going to last a month; it wasn't just a one day event. I sincerely believe that the Jury Room was the right place for it, and I don't want it moved. The Up to the Minute place isn't necessarily where sports automatically goes. For me, it depends on what the subject is, and the time period it is going to last.

Buzzm1 said:
I beg to differ with you DK. I started the Tour de France thread and put it in the Jury Room as it was going to last a month; it wasn't just a one day event. I sincerely believe that the Jury Room was the right place for it, and I don't want it moved. The Up to the Minute place isn't necessarily where sports automatically goes. For me, it depends on what the subject is, and the time period it is going to last.
This forum's header says "news, sports, weather and entertainment" so I am going by that. A hurricane thread in the JR was moved here for the exact same reason a few weeks ago by Tybee, iirc. I don't really care one way or another, lol.

Any recent news on Landis regarding whether he gets to keep his title? TIA!

Monday, July 31, 2006

MADRID, Spain *—*Tour de France champion Floyd Landis officially requested the testing of his backup urine sample Monday in an effort to clear his name of doping allegations.

~snip~

Buxeda said he's not sure when the "B" test will be carried out at the Paris doping laboratory, though it could be sometime this week.

If his the B test is negative, Landis would be cleared. If it's positive, the 30-year-old American would face formal doping charges and could be stripped of his Tour victory and banned for two years.

-> more at link ->

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206449,00.html

cripes I thought this thread meant the second sample came back positive..don't scare me like that!

JBean said:
cripes I thought this thread meant the second sample came back positive..don't scare me like that!

So did I Jelly! Whew!

Buzzm1 said:

i agree with this statement, that the thread belongs in the jury room.

that is where we had the "dancing with stars" and American Idol thread if i am not mistaken, and i look at the Tour de France as the same type of event.

NEW YORK - Tests show that some of the testosterone in Floyd Landis' system at the Tour de France was synthetic and not naturally produced by his body as he claimed, according to a newspaper report.

link

But after determining that Landis's ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone was more than twice the limit of 4:1, the lab performed a carbon isotope ratio test on the first of Landis's two urine samples to determine whether it's natural or synthetic, the person told the Times

"The rules say that it is a violation, but if you can show that the athlete had no fault or no significant fault, there could be a mitigation of the sanction," Wadler told the Times. "No matter how it got there, the athlete has to show how it got into his or her body. It could have been sabotage or contaminated dietary supplements, or something else, but they have to prove how the testosterone got there."

Sure hope Landis can prove how this high level of testosterone got into his system!

Becba said:
Do they only test the winners?

ONLY IF they are American!

J/K :D

Associated Press
Next Landis Test Result Due Saturday
By JAMEY KEATEN , 08.01.2006, 06:28 PM

Tour de France champion Floyd Landis, whose initial doping tests turned up positive, gets another chance to clear his name when a second set is expected to be released on Saturday.

However, the 30-year-old cyclist and his lawyer have previously acknowledged that they expect the "B" sample to show the same elevated ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone found in the "A" sample last week.

Michael Henson, a spokesman for the cyclist, confirmed Tuesday that a urine test on Landis after the tour's 17th stage turned up an 11:1 ratio - far above the 4:1 limit allowed. A 1:1 ratio is average.

The "A" sample was provided July 20 by the cyclist after he zoomed his way back into contention by winning a tough Alpine leg with an epic ride that will long be remembered by race fans.

Landis has insisted that his body's natural metabolism - not doping - caused the elevated result, and said he would undergo further tests to prove it.

-> more at link:
http://www.forbes.com/business/energy/feeds/ap/2006/08/01/ap2920392.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong