TX - Mariah Puga, 3, mauled to death by dogs, Hargill, 25 July 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
HARGILL -- A toddler in South Texas has died after being mauled by at least one of the family’s pit bulls, the Hidalgo County sheriff’s department said Wednesday.

The victim was identified as 3-year-old Mariah Puga of Hargill, who died early Tuesday at an Edinburg hospital.

As many as three dogs may have been involved in Monday night’s attack, when the child was in the family’s yard, investigators said.

The two pit bulls and a rottweiler have been quarantined, officials said. Authorities also said one of the pit bulls had her puppies with her in the yard.

Hargill is about 60 miles northwest of Brownsville.
http://www.khou.com/news/state/stories/khou060726_mh_dogattack.702eccc.html

And the parents? Was the child out there unsupervised? I don't even leave a little one around my poodle without supervision...

Pit bulls and Rotweillers are so aggressive. It is poor judgement for a family with children to have one. Some breeds are much more docile, and we even had our Golden Retriever "temperament tested" before we purchased him for our young son.

why why OH WHY would you EVER let a child that small be with a dog that NO ONE knows the temperment of??!! The uncle had just brought home one of the dogs a couple days earlier, yet they are ok letting the little girl be out there alone with them?! That is ridiculous, sorry but its just plain neglect!

southerngirl said:
Pit bulls and Rotweillers are so aggressive. It is poor judgement for a family with children to have one. Some breeds are much more docile, and we even had our Golden Retriever "temperment tested" before we purchased him for our young son.
You know, it's interesting. My 5-year old son goes to school with a little boy and I know the parents from birthday parties, school events, etc... The parents are bright - both of them are chemists - and, by all accounts, seem like terrific parents. The mom is a real "dog" person...she has 4 pit bulls and her son has been raised around them.

Like most pit bull fans, she posits persuasive arguements that they are really a great breed and they've just gotten a bad rap, etc...and maybe she's right, I don't know. But I know I wouldn't have them in MY house with young children! To a certain degree, bad reputations and prejudices are earned. I've never read a story about a Golden or a Lab attacking a child.

We have a big old mutt who is gentle as a lamb - and always has been - with my boys. That said, an adult is usually present when our dog is with the kids and I usually put him up for some quiet time when other kids come over. I love him and he's been a true, blue member of our family, but why take any chances?

A good friend of mine - also a big dog lover - once told me that all dogs, without exception, have the potential to bite. I've alwasy remembered that. Young kids just don't have a clue - they are too unpredictable to be left alone with dogs.

My heart goes out to this family. So sad.

Angels_Not_Forgotten said:
why why OH WHY would you EVER let a child that small be with a dog that NO ONE knows the temperment of??!! The uncle had just brought home one of the dogs a couple days earlier, yet they are ok letting the little girl be out there alone with them?! That is ridiculous, sorry but its just plain neglect!
I agree with you about young kids and not knowing the dog's tempermant.

From the article, it does sound like there were some crossed wires and the uncle thought the mother was aware that he was leaving but the mother didn't hear him.

southcitymom said:
Like most pit bull fans, she posits persuasive arguements that they are really a great breed and they've just gotten a bad rap, etc...and maybe she's right, I don't know. But I know I wouldn't have them in MY house with young children! To a certain degree, bad reputations and prejudices are earned. I've never read a story about a Golden or a Lab attacking a child.
Actually Labs have the second highest bite rate after pit pulls with pit bulls accounting for the highest percentage. The highest bite rate comes from male dogs who are not neutered, and not chained. The single best thing yo ucan do to help prevent biting is getting your dog fixed.

Unfortunately, while I don't believe pit bulls are bad I think they've been very badly breeed and anyone who choses to have a pit bull in their house should go to a quality breeder with a long history of breeding even tempered, non aggressive pit bulls. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of those out there and a lot of pits come from backyard breeders who don't scren their dogs for temperment or from people who are purposely breeding aggressive dogs. I've known some lovely pit bulls and I've seen some that I'd never want to be around-much less my child. I've also seen Collies, Shitzu's, and Labs who fall into both of those categories.

Every dog can bite given the right (or should I say wrong) circumstances-it's why you should never leave your child alone with a dog.

Hmmm....ok, I reread my post and want to apologize if it comes across as a little preachy. I get really passionate about this subject and it seems to flip me into stern schoolteacher mode. I promise I didn't mean to come across like that. :truce:

THANK YOU THANK YOU....I have been around pit bulls my entire life. The first thing that is said in each book is these are not guard dogs. They are very gentle. I could go on and on but I wont. It is not the breed but the breeders if thats what you want to call them. Its the people who make them mean, as I said mean isnt their nature. I feel terrible for any child who goes through this. And another thing why in the world would you have a young kid near any dog while she has her puppies. JMO

beakiebean said:
Actually Labs have the second highest bite rate after pit pulls with pit bulls accounting for the highest percentage. The highest bite rate comes from male dogs who are not neutered, and not chained. The single best thing yo ucan do to help prevent biting is getting your dog fixed.

I've been here at Websleuths for more years than I can remember. In all that time, I don't remember ever seeing an article or thread about a toddler, baby or an adult, being killed by a Labrador. There are at least 10 a year though, where the person was killed by a Pit Bull. I don't honestly care whether the problem is breeding, stupid lazy adults who don't know how to train them, or the ones who just think they're sooooooo cute, they would NEVER hurt anyone. This is the ONLY breed of dog that will not stop fighting no matter what you do to it. The only way to get them to stop is to kill them. Now, you may get a Rottie, a Lab or a GSD that may bite, but they'll stop if you hit them with a shovel or a baseball bat. We've seen time and time again when a pit bull didn't even stop then.

beakiebean said:
Actually Labs have the second highest bite rate after pit pulls with pit bulls accounting for the highest percentage.
You might be right - I have just never read about it. Of all the "dog kills child" stories I have read (and they happen often enough), every single case except one has involved a pit bull. The one that didn't involve a pit bull involved a rottweiler.

Now when I was 2, our family dalmation bit me when I toddled over and sat on him and had to be given away...so that's my only personal experience with dog bites.

What kind of dog(s) was it that killed that woman in San Fran some years ago...the animal belonged to an attorney couple who had adopted a death row inmate or something...can't recall all the details but I think someone went to jail.

southcitymom said:
What kind of dog(s) was it that killed that woman in San Fran some years ago...the animal belonged to an attorney couple who had adopted a death row inmate or something...can't recall all the details but I think someone went to jail.

Pressa Canario (but I don't think I spelled it right).

I cannot stand these dogs, I dont care what anyone says. Jeana, you are absolutly right about them not stopping even being beat with a bat or a shovel. My hubby used to work for Comcast cable and a good friend of his there had pit bulls, well one got ticked and attacked him. He beat him in the face and the dog NEVER let loose of his jaws. They had to basically half kill the dog to get him away! They scare the crap out of me..

Jeana (DP) said:
I've been here at Websleuths for more years than I can remember. In all that time, I don't remember ever seeing an article or thread about a toddler, baby or an adult, being killed by a Labrador. There are at least 10 a year though, where the person was killed by a Pit Bull. I don't honestly care whether the problem is breeding, stupid lazy adults who don't know how to train them, or the ones who just think they're sooooooo cute, they would NEVER hurt anyone. This is the ONLY breed of dog that will not stop fighting no matter what you do to it. The only way to get them to stop is to kill them. Now, you may get a Rottie, a Lab or a GSD that may bite, but they'll stop if you hit them with a shovel or a baseball bat. We've seen time and time again when a pit bull didn't even stop then.

Labs, golden rereivers, etc., are very protective of children. A great choice for parents with kids.

Wudge said:
Labs, golden rereivers, etc., are very protective of children. A great choice for parents with kids.

As opposed to parents without kids? :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back