MD MD - Thomas Francis Edwards, 1970's-80's

debbie9703

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the murder of Sherry Kennedy in 1970? It happened in Bethesda Md. From what I remember she was killed with an icepick. I never hear anything about it now, after all these years. I was about the same age she was and I remember how scary it was hearing about this happening so close to my home.

debbie9703 said:
Does anyone remember the murder of Sherry Kennedy in 1970? It happened in Bethesda Md. From what I remember she was killed with an icepick. I never hear anything about it now, after all these years. I was about the same age she was and I remember how scary it was hearing about this happening so close to my home.
I have never heard of her, I will look and see if I can find anything. Here is a link http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewblog.asp?AuthorID=9995

Apparentely there were 3 girls/women murdered:

Sherry Bristol Kennedy, 14, dumped in a snowy ravine and stabbed with an icepick in her skull.

Catherine O'Brien Kalberer, 33, stabbed 124 times

Donna Sue Oglesby, 18, stabbed with scissors

Mrs. Kalberer and Sherry Kennedy lived in the same apartment building. Donna Sue was killed in a nearby Virginia apartment. In the article I found it says that it is similar to another murder in 1968 of another 23-year-old woman stabbed 80 times.

Hollow said:
Apparentely there were 3 girls/women murdered:

Sherry Bristol Kennedy, 14, dumped in a snowy ravine and stabbed with an icepick in her skull.

Catherine O'Brien Kalberer, 33, stabbed 124 times

Donna Sue Oglesby, 18, stabbed with scissors

Mrs. Kalberer and Sherry Kennedy lived in the same apartment building. Donna Sue was killed in a nearby Virginia apartment. In the article I found it says that it is similar to another murder in 1968 of another 23-year-old woman stabbed 80 times.
Where did you find an article about this?

Michelle, the link you sent me seems to be the only thing I ever found online while searching.

debbie9703 said:
Where did you find an article about this?

Michelle, the link you sent me seems to be the only thing I ever found online while searching.
I know I cannot find anything else, I would like to see a pic...

I don't know how to post pictures on here (still) or I'd put them up, there's a really great picture of all three victims in 1970.

Looks like you have to join the newspaper archive. Is there anyway you can email me the article and/or pictures? debbie9703 at yahoo.com

Hollow said:
I don't know how to post pictures on here (still) or I'd put them up, there's a really great picture of all three victims in 1970.
Oh, I dont know how either....:banghead:

debbie9703 said:
Looks like you have to join the newspaper archive. Is there anyway you can email me the article and/or pictures? debbie9703 at yahoo.com
Yes, I will, you have to open it with adobe reader, ok ???

http://home.earthlink.net/~white_nationalist_lady/2005.01.01_arch.html
Disturbing, but informative.

I'm guessing that whoever did this was a stranger, and was possibly either incarcerated or institutionalized after these murders since they were all within such a short time, if they are all the same perpetrator and seem so disorganized. I wonder if they were psychotic because of drugs or mental illness? If it was truly random/opportunistic, I doubt they will be identified unless someone confesses.

Were the killer(s) ever found for any/all of these three women? Were any suspects ever announced or even mentioned?

I've not found the cases on any of the cold case listings in the area, and there's very little about them on the web. I obtained a Washington Post article which had a picture of Mrs. Kalberer, and mentioned her estranged husband worked for the NHI.

It sounds like the FBI was involved in the search for Donna Sue Oglesby's killer (if this is the same woman), but I've not been able to find anything indicating resolution.

I came across these cases while looking for information - and specifically a picture which I've yet to find - of a Montgomery Co, MD man who was active in the area off and on through the 1970s/1980s. Looking at his case he may have been in prison when the murders took place - or if he wasn't, he was shortly afterwards. I've not found the exact date he was sent away, so am backtracking from six months served info, and if his release month is correct (and it seems to be), these murders seem to have happened before he went away.

But the little I've found indicates these women were NOT raped -- which probably rules him out. Regardless, it would seem the MCPD would have looked at him...

So I'm curious if any of these cases were solved.

TYIA!

I lived in that area in the 70's. I am not familiar with the case you are talking about? There was a rapsit in that area that was finally put in jail?

I believe that there is a thread about these murders in the Websleuths Cold Case files. Try doing a word search on it. If not a subject on its own, it may have been discussed on another thread.

http://boards.aetv.com/thread.jspa?threadID=700012302

I wonder if these murders are related to the Lyons sisters case? The details don't really correlate, but there seem to have been a disproportionately large number of sex murders of young women in the Washington area in the early '70s.

I do not think that this particular murder was related to the 25 March 1975 disappearance of the Lyon Sisters (See Featured Case section of Websleuths). It is possible, of course, but not probable in my opinion.

However, you are absolutly correct about there being quite a number of sex murders of young women in the early 1970's. There was a serial rapist known as the "Green Vega", and also a serial rapist/killer known as the Freeway Phantom. At one time (1975) police thought that the two were linked and that possibly several persons were involved in the crimes.

September 13, 2009

Good Afternoon:

Does anyone have any information that the murder of Donna Sue Oglesby was solved? I worked with Donna years ago in Washington, D.C. Over the years, I have thought about her and did not know if her killer or killers were brought to justice.

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Shepherd 1

September 13, 2009
...Does anyone have any information that the murder of Donna Sue Oglesby was solved? I worked with Donna years ago in Washington, D.C. Over the years, I have thought about her and did not know if her killer or killers were brought to justice. ...Shepherd 1

I do not have any information to indicate that her murder was ever solved and anyone brought to justice.

As you can see by the sparse information in this thread, it is possible that her murder may have been connected with some others of that time frame, but perhaps not.

You might try contacting the Maryland State Police or Virginia State Police Cold Case Units (I am not sure who would have jurisdiction) to ask if the case is solved, unsolved, or even still open.

its about the time of year when Sherry passed. i was with her the last few minutes before she left my babysitting job - a little angry and to walk and meet her boyfriend 1/2 way. some of what is written by others is correct some is not, but let me first say that even after all of these years... i remember her as you would sunlight on a cloudy day. Truth - we were babysitting at my babysitting job - she did not live in those appts. we lived across the street from each other in the potomac area. We went to Cabin John Jr. High - and she would have gone on to Churchill.. I did - in those days the montgomery mall area was consider upscale so the idea of a murder let along two was unheard of. January 17 - or 18 of this year will be 31 years...Sherry left the house the night of the 17... about 10:00

there is some lady lake or something or other that tells the story and speaks as if she knows me - i have absolutely no clue who this person is and her tales and thats exactly what they are - are not correct - the truth she tells in them appear to be corrections after reading my response to previous messages on this subject. there was someone arrested with circumstantial evidence... but released and killed again in the california area and was in jail the last i heard which was some 20+ years ago.

Sherry was my best friend and it took years for the pain and feeling of being responsible to leave. Remember if you have children...a partner - a husband -tell them no fight in the world is worth walking out into the strange world alone in the dark... pray for those that are still unfound and missing people. Wilma - (sherry's mom) Mike - (her brother) - i cant for the life of me remember her sisters name - ?Dottie? you see when Sherry passed - her mom found out she was unexpectly pregnant and blessed with a beautiful girl... my name remains the same find me ... i would still love to see you and know how you are... my heart has never forgotten you and Wilma how you put your own pain to the side to morn and care for me... nor have i forgotten the loss of my friend. Especially at this time of year...

Lisa L

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back