FL - John Brannaman, 81, dies after pit bull attack, Kissimmee, 28 July 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- An 81-year-old man was watering shrubs Friday in Kissimmee when two pit bulls came out of nowhere and attacked him. Two neighbors saw the attack happen along West Tropicana Court.

According to eyewitnesses, one neighbor grabbed a shovel and another grabbed a shotgun. One of them hit one of the two dogs with a shovel, while the other shot the other dog.

The wounded dog ran away and then came back. The man who was armed with the shotgun fought the dog off with butt of gun and that dog died.

The other dog was taken into Animal Control custody
http://www.wftv.com/news/9593193/detail.html

I hope he pulls through...I'm not going to comment on the breed - because I remember owning two dobies (rotties and pits were obscure then). Dobies had such an awful reputation that the city was going to ban ownership unless they were kept behind a 6 ft enclosure. So we enclosed our "business" with a security fence. They ran loose in the yard at night and were brought into the business during opening hours. We lived behind the business in those days and began to notice cars pulling into the parking lot at all hours. It took us forever before we realized that they were there to watch the dogs ---who spent their leisure hours sitting on the beer kegs watching traffic. Kids would buy dried pork skins to feed them and even wrote them letters. One little boy would run up to the fence, shout "boo" and the red dobie would jump up, spin in place then prop back down on the keg.

Any animal can be vicious...and any animal (especially humans) can attack for no reason. But it is the owner's responsiblity to keep them confined - no excuse!

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The 81-year-old Kissimmee man who was attacked by a pair of pit bulls last week died Monday morning.

John Brannaman was attacked outside his home on Tropicana Court on Friday. Two neighbors, armed with a shovel and a shotgun, killed one dog and chased the second off.

The dog that survived was taken into custody by Animal Control.

Charges were not been filed against the dogs' owner because deputies did not suspect the owner had been negligent.

http://www.wftv.com/news/9602136/detail.html

Sorry to say, but whatever kind of dog or dogs are running loose, the owner should be held responsible for there actions......Give me a break.....:twocents:

The dog's owner was not facing charges because the sheriff's office said there was no indication of any negligence on his part and because he turned over the surviving dog. The dogs' owner also turned over the female dog's five puppies, which appeared to be only a few weeks old. As cute as they are, there is a good chance they will be put to sleep because of their aggressive mother.

There should be a decision on the puppies in the next few days. The health department is also testing the dog who died to determine if he had rabies.
http://www.wftv.com/news/9593193/detail.html

Jeana (DP) said:
I would think that they're going to loose big time in a civil suit.
Did I miss something, is there a civil suit now?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back