Elizabeth Smart updates

Anngelique

Reaction score
http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1220083,00.html?cid=recirc-top5-4-1220083

Elizabeth Smart, who was just 14 when she was abducted from her Utah home in 2002, says her ordeal changed her life forever.

"It will never be the same as it used to be," Smart, now 18, told PEOPLE on Thursday, "but it's good." She added that she's in a healthy place these days. "I have a wonderful family, good friends. … I have a lot to look forward to."

Smart and her father, Ed, were in Washington, D.C., along with America's Most Wanted host John Walsh and other parents of abducted children, for the passing of the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2006.

President Bush signed the bill in the Rose Garden earlier in the day, extending a personal greeting to Smart during the ceremony.

The bill requires, among other provisions, that a standardized sex-offender registry be established in each state and that all adoptive and foster parents undergo background checks.

At a reception honoring the bill, Smart told reporters, "Anyone who hurts a child, in my opinion, doesn't deserve to live."

There is much more at the link.

thanku for that post-it warms my heart to see her say that-she is wise beyond her years..anyone who harms a child doesnt deserve anything imo.

newtv said:
thanku for that post-it warms my heart to see her say that-she is wise beyond her years..anyone who harms a child doesnt deserve anything imo.

I agree! Child molesters are the worst of the worst in my opinion!

Anngelique said:
I agree! Child molesters are the worst of the worst in my opinion!
they sure are-it doesnt get worse than what she was put thru -short of death by torture on top of it..she was one of the lucky ones and has the support to bounce back from this-so many others lives are over - they just cant get past it and I understand why- I am so happy that EL. is doing this well.

newtv said:
they sure are-it doesnt get worse than what she was put thru -short of death by torture on top of it..she was one of the lucky ones and has the support to bounce back from this-so many others lives are over - they just cant get past it and I understand why- I am so happy that EL. is doing this well.

My husband just made a profound statement in my opinion. I 'm sure it's a no brainer but I didn't really connect the dots. He said that if she's saying this at 18 it gives you a peak at what her ordeal must have been like. How horrible it was. I think he's 100% right. I think most of us older folks feel so strongly about someone hurting a child because we've had a child. But for an 18 year old saying it, it speaks volumes.

Did anybody see Elizabeth on Nancy Grace's show about a week or so ago? Nancy was ignoring the topic of the Adam Walsh bill -- the whole reason for the interview -- and kept trying to get Elizabeth to talk about details of her kidnapping. Elizabeth said that she did not want to talk about that, but was there to promote the bill. Nancy said ok, but then went right on to ask about what it was like to wear a burka. Elizabeth responded by saing that she did not appreciate being asked these questions and would not continue if Nancy persisted. I was so proud of Elizabeth for standing up for herself in that way. She tried to be polite but Nancy was going to try to get something scandalous out of her no matter what. I don't think Nancy expected the 18 year old to stand up to her. After that Elizabeth's father came on and pretty much filled his daughter's shoes for the rest of the hour. Eiizabeth finally came back on at the end and only talked about the importance of the bill. Good for you, Elizabeth!!

When Elizabeth was first found, details were revealed about some of her ordeal. What little I heard was enough to make my hair stand up on end. The very first night she was abducted, she was raped by this man. Naturally, the disgusting, nasty, dirty pervert didn't call it rape. He decided at that point she was his wife. But if that happened the first night, it's a miracle of all miracles that Elizabeth can form full sentences. My hat's off to her for pursuing justice for children of unspeakable crimes. I know... I was one of them, and I didn't have family support or the benefit of love or religion or therapy or anything else that might have helped. It made life much harder than it ever needed to be, and I've always regretted that. I wish Elizabeth the very best as she grows into adulthood.

Question: WTH states have NOT been doing background checks on adoptive parents/foster parents???

She's one incredible young woman--tough beyond her years-for months-everyone thought she was longtime dead,yet she survived--the trial of the lowlife who kidnapped her keeps getting delayed because of his "incompetency"---so absurd,he was competent enough to sneak into her bedroom at night and abduct her--put 'em on trial and get it over with,and then Elizabeth can truly put this behind her...hopefully

She is such a pretty girl. I pray for the best with her. I cried when they found her, I remember DH saying "They found Elizabeth Smart" and I said "Oh how said, now her parents have closure" and it did not click she was alive. I remember staying up watching TV all night. I was s glad. I mean how often do we have this kind of ending? Hardly never.

michelle said:
She is such a pretty girl. I pray for the best with her. I cried when they found her, I remember DH saying "They found Elizabeth Smart" and I said "Oh how said, now her parents have closure" and it did not click she was alive. I remember staying up watching TV all night. I was s glad. I mean how often do we have this kind of ending? Hardly never.
You are so right - as terrible as what happened to her was (and I am not underplaying the hell she went through for one second), I just assumed she was dead and was dumbfounded when they found her alive. But so happy for her family and for her chance to recover.

southcitymom said:
You are so right - as terrible as what happened to her was (and I am not underplaying the hell she went through for one second), I just assumed she was dead and was dumbfounded when they found her alive. But so happy for her family and for her chance to recover.
I know it truly was a miracle, I really believe that.

It would be difficult for any 18 YO to be in the public spotlight but she seems to handle it with ease and grace.

Her family despite this awful obstical have done an amazing job helping her through this. It hardly seems like 4 years have gone by.

michelle said:
Yep, hardly ever.
Good for her, but what an ordeal to live with.
I wish it could have been the same for a kidnapping that happened here a couple of years ago of a 12 year old boy.
He was a twin and such a darling boy, brother, son...
I remember thinking, well they found Elizabeth Smart and having hope.
But it's been over two years now, I doubt there is any hope.

Cypros said:
Did anybody see Elizabeth on Nancy Grace's show about a week or so ago? Nancy was ignoring the topic of the Adam Walsh bill -- the whole reason for the interview -- and kept trying to get Elizabeth to talk about details of her kidnapping. Elizabeth said that she did not want to talk about that, but was there to promote the bill. Nancy said ok, but then went right on to ask about what it was like to wear a burka. Elizabeth responded by saing that she did not appreciate being asked these questions and would not continue if Nancy persisted. I was so proud of Elizabeth for standing up for herself in that way. She tried to be polite but Nancy was going to try to get something scandalous out of her no matter what. I don't think Nancy expected the 18 year old to stand up to her. After that Elizabeth's father came on and pretty much filled his daughter's shoes for the rest of the hour. Eiizabeth finally came back on at the end and only talked about the importance of the bill. Good for you, Elizabeth!!
Yes, I saw that. Nancy was beyond rude and condescending. She kept ignoring Elizabeth's statements that she was there to talk about the bill and NOT what happened to her.

What is Nancy's problem? Other women don't like being called "dear" by someone of her age.

I really can't stand to watch Nancy anymore. Used to be able to tolerate her most of the time, but now...no way.

She stooped to an all time low with Elizabeth Smart.

LNL said:
Yes, I saw that. Nancy was beyond
rude and condescending. She kept ignoring Elizabeth's statements that she was there to talk about the bill and NOT what happened to her.

What is Nancy's problem? Other women don't like being called "dear" by someone of her age.

I really can't stand to watch Nancy anymore. Used to be able to tolerate her most of the time, but now...no way.

She stooped to an all time low with Elizabeth Smart.

i stopped watching NG about a year ago. could no longer stomach her attitude toward her guests. i have seen her be more than nasty on more than one occasion and finally, i had had enough. she can beat up other people if it makes her feel better, but i do not have to watch, and considering her HN show has lost viewers over the past year, i would say others have the same opinion i do.

izzyB said:
i stopped watching NG about a year ago. could no longer stomach her attitude toward her guests. i have seen her be more than nasty on more than one occasion and finally, i had had enough. she can beat up other people if it makes her feel better, but i do not have to watch, and considering her HN show has lost viewers over the past year, i would say others have the same opinion i do.

Yes, well she lost one more viewer here. I've been trying to ignore the attitude since I like that her show focuses on missing/lost, etc., but really she goes too far.

I believe all pedophiles and sex offenders should be paced on a guarded island, to live amongst themselves forever. They cannot be rehabilitated and have a compulsion to offend time and time again. It is society's right to be protected from predators, and that translates to placing our well-being and safety over the rights of the perpetrators.

IMO

izzyB said:
You are right Izzy. I remember someone posted her viewer stats recently and they were way down. You'd think she would get the hint and try to get back on track, but she just seems to be getting worse. It's kinda sad because she could be really good if she would get ahold of herself. As soon as the HN took off, she really changed, for the worse.

And, as long as I'm on my soapbox, I couldn't stand that insipid "internet" reporter she had...a guy...and when she would scream at her producer..."Elizabeth, where's that picture? Elizabeth! Elizabeth!" Gag me.
She needs to forget about her spread in PEOPLE magazine and come back to earth.

Alllllrighty...I'm done.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back