1355 users online (292 members and 1063 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

School Starts For Seminole County Students, Florida

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. -- It's back to class Monday morning for public school students in Seminole County and they are the first in the state.

It seemed like classes just let out for the summer, but for 64,000 Seminole County kids, it's back to the books Monday morning. It is the earliest start for any district in the state, at least for this year. In 2007, a new state law will forbid any school board from starting up classes more than two weeks before Labor Day.

“We like the
    http://www.wftv.com/news/9599777/detail.html

Well, we're not too far behind... Bay County starts on Wednesday!! Although, I must say, I am looking forward to a quiet house!

Quote Originally Posted by ipswitch
    Well, we're not too far behind... Bay County starts on Wednesday!! Although, I must say, I am looking forward to a quiet house!
    We are in the same county! Next year schools will be starting in late August. They say it has cut into tourism money and time divorced parents get to spend with their kids.

Wow that is early! Mine start in a couple weeks....and they are more excited than I am for sure!

Wow! The kids here don't start until the last week of August.

Yeah, mine start in a week, and I was not too happy about it, it caused problems with our plans. We recently moved to where we live now and last year my kids started at the very end of August, and got out of school at the same time they would have if we had not moved, but yet are starting back 3 weeks earlier, since we were unaware and planned our vacation months ago, we now get to cancel it, thanks to the ridiculously early start back time. We are getting a whole sum total of 2 1/2 months for summer vacation, and no actual "vacation" at all now. Stinks, because we had all very much been looking forward to it, and are all dissappointed and out some money anyway, so next week when we would have been leaving for a much needed vacation, we will instead be packing backpacks and lunch money and missing out on our trip.

Our schools here start August 14 and then my college classes start August 28. I have to say, I am SO looking forward to two weeks of peace and quiet! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Becba
    We are in the same county! Next year schools will be starting in late August. They say it has cut into tourism money and time divorced parents get to spend with their kids.
    Now that's just sad. Adjusting the school year because of the divorce rate.

Why do they start so dang early? Our schools start the day after Labor Day and get out about mid June. August is a huge vacation month here...in fact if we can figure out where to go, we will be there next week!

I hate it that Target pulls all of their summer products right after the 4th of July. Out west we are just starting summer then!

Lynie

Florida schools get out very early that is why they go back so early.

They normally get out in May.

Wow! This is early! Michigan law (new this year) forbids schools from starting until after Labor Day. We used to start the week before Labor Day but the the state legislature mandated the Friday before Labor Day is a holiday so schools were starting two weeks before Labor Day. Their reasoning for all this is tourism. They thought if families had a four day holiday, they'd take one last beach trip or whatever. They forgot 1) that the parents STILL had to work the Friday before and 2) fall sports schedules start in late August.

Many schools are adding 10 minutes or so to each day so kids will still get out in early June. I just can't imagine starting this early. IF we had air conditioning, perhaps.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

I think it's crazy for schools to start in August because of the heat. It's much worse in August than in any other month (usually anyway). I live in PA and my kids don't go back until after Labor Day. I would hate to send them back to school right now. My kids don't get out of school until the middle of June, which really isn't too bad. It's usually not super hot here in June.
    Just my opinion of course!!

Florida schools have A/C.

They have to the humidity down here ruins everything without a/c.
    Electronics, drywall you name it.

Talking

I need that school down-time as much as my children do-I'm glad we don't start for a few weeks here. In some cases, summer camp is still going on!

What to do what to do..... This year will be the first year that all of my children are in school for the whole day!

I can barely contain myself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom
    I need that school down-time as much as my children do-I'm glad we don't start for a few weeks here. In some cases, summer camp is still going on!

What to do what to do..... This year will be the first year that all of my children are in school for the whole day!

I can barely contain myself!!!
    Woo Hoo!! A new life for you!!! Have some fun!

Lynie