721 users online (82 members and 639 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VT - Nathan Currie, 18, West Charleston, 23 July 2006

Nathan Currie

Nathan Currie typically stopped by his family's house daily. His new apartment is just down the road. After he was reported missing, Currie's car was found abandoned at the village cemetery. The keys were still in the ignition and the license plate was removed.
    news link

That's a strange place for a car to be found. Keys in the car but the license plate missing. I wonder if the plate is on someone elses car? Not much info in the article. Had he been depressed or having any kind of problems I wonder. I wonder if LE searched the area around the cemetery? Sometime they don't see what is right in front of them. I hope this young man is found and is alright.

Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    That's a strange place for a car to be found. Keys in the car but the license plate missing. I wonder if the plate is on someone elses car? Not much info in the article. Had he been depressed or having any kind of problems I wonder. I wonder if LE searched the area around the cemetery? Sometime they don't see what is right in front of them. I hope this young man is found and is alright.
    Another New England person missing........Just way too many in Vermont and NH. There is not much information out about him. At least finding the car is a start. Laura Mac's (NH) car has yet to be found.

An update from our honored Vermont State Police;
    link

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Vermont again and no arrests after a full year. It doesn't sound to me that they are making much headway on the case if nothing has happened in a years time.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...ie_nathan.html

You don't know that nothing was found. Just because the police aren't splashing their evidence all over the news doesn't mean they haven't found anything. A lot of times I've seen criminal arrests in cold cases, arrests that came as a surprise to everyone, because the cops were just quietly working and not revealing their dealings to the press.

http://www.bartonchronicle.com/html/currie_gone.HTM

Currie family friends help with search

by Joseph Gresser

WEST CHARLESTON — If you’re in a bad jam, you want good friends. Michael and Kathy Currie of West Charleston are surrounded by very good friends — friends who have given up days of work to help search the woods for signs of their missing son, Nathan — friends who drop off pies, and bread and whole meals for the family — friends who drop by to ask for news and just sit and wait with them.

On Tuesday evening, as the last light faded, a group of men stood around a pickup truck beating the heat with a beer or two and discussing what they should do next in their search for Nathan Currie.

Nathan is an 18-year-old who has lived his whole life in West Charleston. Mr. Currie, his father, said he hardly ventured much farther afield than Brownington. Although he recently moved to an apartment nearby, Mr. Currie said, he dropped by every day to see his mother.

The family was alarmed when Nathan disappeared. He was last seen on Sunday, July 23, say the police. Mr. Currie said the last definite sighting of his son was the day before that.

Nathan’s car was found abandoned in a West Charleston cemetery, Mr. Currie said. The plates had been ripped off, he said, and thrown 80 or so feet away. Mr. Currie said the place where the car was abandoned would only have been known to a West Charleston resident, an opinion vigorously seconded by the men gathered around the pickup.

When the car was found the driver’s seat was pulled up close to the wheel, Mr. Currie said, suggesting that the person who left it there was short. Nathan, he said, always kept the seat pushed all the way back. The keys, too, were left in the ignition, something Mr. Currie said his son would never do.

The car was found on Monday, Mr. Currie said, but he didn’t learn of its discovery until Wednesday, July 26. Mr. Currie and his friends deeply resent that delay. The first 48 hours, they said, are crucial in a search.

Mr. Currie said he brought dogs to the place where the car was found to try and catch scent of his son, but they didn’t pick up a trail. A logger himself, Mr. Currie asked for help, and four logging jobs were closed down as men volunteered to help search the West Charleston woods.

He said that his friends know their way around the woods and that they really searched.

“We know where he’s not,” Mr. Currie said. “You couldn’t hide a mouse turd where we searched.”

The search party, he said, included experienced trappers and woodsmen. They can tell by the way a twig is bent which way to look, he said. The men around the pickup agreed.

One said he hadn’t been in those woods for ten years since they’d been posted.

A group also searched nearby streams with canoes. Nathan, Mr. Currie said, “was like a muskrat. If he is in trouble he’d head for water.”

They found no sign of him anywhere they looked.

Mr. Currie is a big man, an active man. He does not appear to be a person who handles waiting well. “What will I do tomorrow?” he asked again and again.

He is impatient with the police and the police, may be a bit impatient with him.

“Leo Bachand says I have to stop intimidating witnesses,” Mr. Currie said. It is not clear that he regards the State Police detective lieutenant’s statement as a reasonable request.

Mr. Currie said that Nathan “was the golden boy in West Charleston.” A friend quickly corrected him — “Is,” he said, “is the golden boy.”

Nathan was popular with all the old ladies in town, Mr. Currie said. West Charleston, he continued, is a close knit community and most people in it are related to each other.

Mr. Currie doesn’t try to hide Nathan’s problems. He was thrown out of North Country Union High School, he said, for fighting. “He is the fightingest son-of-a-***** you ever saw,” Mr. Currie said with a kind of exasperated pride.

Lately Nathan’s problems became more severe, Mr. Currie said, as he started using cocaine and smoking crack and taking ecstasy.

“This is West Charleston,” Mr. Currie said, “we drink beer. Maybe we smoke a little grass. We don’t smoke crack or do ecstasy.”

He admits to missing the signs of Nathan’s drug problem, but he has learned quickly as he searches for his son.

“I found the biggest coke dealer in Newport in 20 minutes,” he said, “in 20 minutes. Why can’t the police do that?”

Mostly Mr. Currie and his friends have spent the days since Nathan disappeared looking for him wherever they think he might be.

When someone suggests that Nathan might be hiding, Mr. Currie gets quiet. “I’d hope he would have enough sense to call his mother in that case.”

Kathy Currie, Nathan’s mother, is amazed by the outpouring of support from the community. She produces a picture of Nathan, that she likes better than the one provided by the police. He is sitting on a couch with his two elder brothers.

“I have three sons,” Ms. Currie said, with quiet emphasis on the word “have.”

Outside Mr. Currie is still speaking with his friends. Ms. Currie brings out a telephone saying that Lieutenant Bachand wants to speak with him to let him know how things are going with their investigation.

In the deepening shadows Mr. Currie listens to what the detective has to say.

“What will I do tomorrow?” he asks.

Earlier, around the pickup truck, Mr. Currie admitted that he is both eager to know where his son is and fearful of what he may find out. Ultimately, he says, he wants to know for the sake of his wife.

The men around the pickup share Mr. Currie’s fears and but have hopes of their own.

Here’s the last line for your story, one of them said: “I hope Nathan’s in Daytona Beach with a big-titted woman.”

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs....55/1003/NEWS02

Police launch search for missing teenager

August 3, 2006

By Carla Occaso Times Argus Staff

Nathan Currie

WEST CHARLESTON – Police and family members have been searching for Nathan Currie, 18, missing since July 23.

His ex-girlfriend, Tabethia Smith-Bryce, 17, made headlines last month when she went missing on the Fourth of July, and was classified by police as a runaway. She returned home Sunday, July 9. Meanwhile, Nathan Currie allegedly turned to drugs, according to his father, Michael Currie.

Detective Sgt. Jason LeTourneau, lead investigator on this case, said searches have been conducted daily by land, air and water. Lyndonville Police Chief Jack Harris has been using his two-dog K-9 unit to help search as well, LeTourneau said.

Helicopter searches and scuba dives in area waters, especially at the West Charleston Dam have been conducted, but still no leads have turned up as of Wednesday afternoon.

Police said Nathan Currie was last seen in the Dane Hill area of West Charleston wearing a black tee shirt and jeans. He is 6 feet tall and weighs 170 pounds. His car, a blue Chevy sedan, was found at a nearby cemetery with the keys in it, according to police.

Currie lived at home until the beginning of July, when family say he broke up with his girlfriend and his behavior changed. Police say they are not releasing information related to Currie's drug use, though, saying it may hamper the investigation.

Neighbors in this close-knit small town located just south of Derby have been bringing over hot dishes for the Currie family as they search for their teenage son, who worked for Austin's Rubbish and Rolloff, owned by his uncle.

Asked what his son was last seen doing, his father responded bluntly, "Crack cocaine. I didn't have a clue they had that s—t here."

Currie said he found a glass pipe and an ounce of cocaine in his son's car. Currie also said his son's friends are reluctant to cooperate with law enforcement.

"I'm hoping he's in Daytona Beach," said Michael Currie, adding that Nathan's mother, Kathy Currie, is frantic. "The kid was born in West Charleston. He barely left town."

"He was a really good kid, then he got heartbroken by his girlfriend. He was depressed; did some drugs … this is very hard on them (the family)," said Giselle Dion, who identified herself as the girlfriend of a family member. She characterized Currie's disappearance as unusual behavior. "We always knew where he was," she said.

Police said they have no hard evidence to link Currie's disappearance with girlfriend troubles or with drugs.

When asked if police found any drug paraphernalia or other evidence in the car, LeTourneau said he would not comment further.

"His ex-girlfriend was reported as missing, or runaway," LeTourneau said, but "there is nothing indicating that case was implicated in this."

Anyone with information on the case may call Detective Sgt. Jason LeTourneau at 334-8881.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US

http://www.caledonianrecord.com/page...tory/7a1faa288

Local News Back

Police Influence Him During His Early Years

Trooper Comes Back To Northeast Kingdom

BY GARY E. LINDSLEY Staff Writer
    Thursday September 28, 2006

Ed Ledo has come full circle in his 20-year career as a Vermont state trooper - he's back at Troop B.

Ledo is a detective lieutenant and the new commander of the troop's Bureau of Criminal Investigation unit. He started out as a road trooper at the St. Johnsbury barracks in May 1986.

"I had really good experiences when I was a kid," Ledo said in explaining why he chose law enforcement as a career.

There was one police officer in particular, a canine officer who lived in his neighborhood in Fair Haven, who left an indelible impression on Ledo.

Even when he was 15 years old and a trooper pulled him over, he was impressed.

"The trooper was very professional," Ledo said. "He got his point across."

It was an experience like that which made him believe he wanted to become a trooper.

Ledo attended Castleton College and received an associate in science degree. From there, it was straight to the Vermont Police Academy and the St. Johnsbury barracks after graduating.

Five years after becoming a trooper, he was promoted to detective sergeant in Troop B's BCI unit.

Ledo then "opted out" to become a road sergeant in 1996.

After that, he spent time in Middlesex and Derby before going to Waterbury where he was the assistant director of the forensics lab in Waterbury.

While in Waterbury, Ledo handled evidence from 92 law enforcement agencies across the state, including federal agencies.

"I responded to all crime scenes [in the state]," he said.

After Waterbury, Ledo was transferred to Williston before finally returning to Troop B as the new BCI commander on Aug. 20. He replaced Detective Lt. Leo Bachand who transferred to Waterbury.

During Ledo's career, he has enjoyed being a road trooper and doing shift work, including vehicle enforcement, assaults and robberies.

"I wore a lot of hats," he said. "It was a very hectic schedule."

Ledo has also enjoyed being with the BCI because it has allowed him to work on major cases.

"You are always on call and you are dealing with higher profile cases," he said.

When he was with the road patrol, he also worked criminal cases and helped victims as well.

There was nothing more he wanted to do when he was a youngster than become a trooper. But then he began to gravitate toward the BCI unit.

"Becoming [part of the] BCI was like hitting the lottery," Ledo said. "I like to be where it's happening."

His experience has included working on the Russ Bovit case. Bovit disappeared on May 6, 1986, in the Walden area and has not been seen since. His parents believe he was murdered.

Ledo recalls that case. It was one of his first as a trooper. He can remember riding all-terrain four-wheelers searching for Bovit.

"I had no clue where I was," he said. That was his first experience in being exposed to detective work.

Then, there was the case involving a shooting in Vernon, a double homicide in Montgomery and major burglaries along the state line with New Hampshire.

"The satisfaction is solving some of these cases," Ledo said.

He also said it is nice being back in an area he is familiar with.

"I want to continue to contribute to the department," Ledo said. "We have a great group of detectives. I don't see any need to make any drastic changes."

Regarding the rash of pharmacy robberies which have occurred this year in the St. Johnsbury and Lyndon areas, Ledo is hoping to make some headway.

"Hopefully, something will break," he said. "And we are still actively following the Nathan Currie case. It is a top priority for us."

Currie, 18, of West Charleston, has not been seen since July 23 and was reported missing July 26.

His family and friends are offering a $10,000 reward for any information which leads to his discovery or whereabouts.

In late August, BCI made a big push to find out what happened. Ledo said it was very productive, but nothing concrete was turned up.

"Our hearts go out to his family," he said.

Here is a video from my news tonight about Nathan;
    http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8262982

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Another article about Nathan from WCAX today.
    http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8262982

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Question

I heard today that human remains were found by a hunter in the last couple of days in the area near where Nathan Currie went missing. Anyone else read anything about this? Gosh, I hope this means the family will get some answers.

Link

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp...menu183_2_3_10

Doesn't say much, planning to search for further evidence on Sat.
    Brianna Maitland could be a possibilty as well. The location makes me suspect its Nathan however.

TBH = Doting Father, Loving & Faithful Husband, Volunteer FF/EMT, Steward of the Land, Patriot, Athiest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast