Tropical Storm Chris Has Formed

And you were all wondering where the storms where!

I was going to go camping this weekend... so evacuating, camping?? same thing right?

Chris is up to 60 mph,expected to be a category 1 hurricane in a few days---latest guess is that it will pass just south of Florida

I dont know if my Mother in law was trying to scare me or what, but she said that she was watching the news the other night and they said a hurricane like katrina was going to hit us this season??

I wonder if anything can match the mess katrina left in New Orleans. The levi's were a unique situation.

Beyond Belief said:
I wonder if anything can match the mess katrina left in New Orleans. The levi's were a unique situation.
I know. I think my mother in law trys to freak me out. Although my hubby did say he heard this season was going to be really bad!!!

Beyond Belief said:
Why is everyone forgetting the Mississippi coast. There were 6 times the number of houses destroyed in Mississippi than in NO, yet NO gets all the attention. Katrina would have been the most devestating hurricane hitting the USA even if the levy's in NO did not breached. Just drive along US 90 from Waveland to Pascagoula and still see the damage. The two main bridges are down.

Curious J said:
Why is everyone forgetting the Mississippi coast. There were 6 times the number of houses destroyed in Mississippi than in NO, yet NO gets all the attention. Katrina would have been the most devestating hurricane hitting the USA even if the levy's in NO did not breached. Just drive along US 90 from Waveland to Pascagoula and still see the damage. The two main bridges are down.
No worries, folks forget Alabama too. Though we had nothing like Mississippi this time, we did have 32 foot storm surge and lesser winds and little towns nearly totally washed away. I have pictures where the friggin asphalt was just peeled off of roadways headed into Mobile bay. I guess the flooding and the major f up made New Orleans bigger news. (As an aside, I felt like slapping some folks during the coverage when they'd try to pronounce words. Its BULL UX E. I mean you're there, ask someone! I always ask if I don't know!) Mini rant over lol

Dh asked if I wanted to drive to Pascagoula when we were down that way and I said no. Just seeing the trees still bent and broke off halfway along the highway was enough to make me upset. I still email with a sweet lady named Mary down in Mississippi when I saw her post on a blog in the weeks afterwards and just wrote to offer help and prayers. She shared some pics with me that still make me cry. I'm still not sure I want to see the damage from my childhood haunts in person. Slidell and New Orleans were tough enough, but I spent much more time in Biloxi and Pascagoula than the others.

Plus, I don't think people realize just how big Katrina was and whats the dirty side and whats the clean side and what being on the dirty side means. I don't really expect them to know that. I know I don't have a clue about snow storms or white outs and the like.

There is a Hurricane with my name on it this year so watch out lol!!!

Peter Hamilton said:
Chris is up to 60 mph,expected to be a category 1 hurricane in a few days---latest guess is that it will pass just south of Florida
South of Florida into the Gulf? UGH! My sister and her family live in Biloxi! Not sure they can handle much more of hurricanes down there! Recovery is still long coming from Katrina!! She works at a credit union that is right on the same property as a refinery--it's always so nerve-wracking when one heads their way!

UHAC_2.GIF

Chris appears to be consolidating, becoming better organized, and gaining strength. The environment around the storm is favorable for further strengthening. The waters around the storm are warm and warm to substantial depth. The winds aloft are light, so there is little shear to be concerned with. So, the trend toward strengthening should continue in the near term, and Chris could easily be a hurricane by Wednesday morning.

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/regions.asp?partner=accuweather&site=atl

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! Yuck! Thanks for the update though! :)

LOL Florida all my friends keep saying they aleady doubled their insurance coverage.

tybee204 said:
LOL Florida all my friends keep saying they aleady doubled their insurance coverage.
My insurance price doubled. Allstate backed out last year because of the all the damge a couple years back. Same coverage twice the price.

Dark Knight said:
UHAC_2.GIF

Chris appears to be consolidating, becoming better organized, and gaining strength. The environment around the storm is favorable for further strengthening. The waters around the storm are warm and warm to substantial depth. The winds aloft are light, so there is little shear to be concerned with. So, the trend toward strengthening should continue in the near term, and Chris could easily be a hurricane by Wednesday morning.

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/regions.asp?partner=accuweather&site=atl
It's a lot hotter then last year, soooooo think south Florida should start getting there supplies ready....don't think chris is going to fizzle..

Curious J said:

It's the horror of watching people waving from their roof tops, the horror of watching bodies floating by on your TV screen--the fiasco with the superdome--New Orleans just stole the show. I've driven through coastal Mississippi recently, and believe me, the devastation is on a scale that is mind boggling. Truly mind boggling. Almost NOTHING of what I remember remains, for mile after mile.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alicialynne
Back