782 users online (111 members and 671 guests)  

Websleuths News

Boy exposed to West Nile dies, cause unknown

BOISE -- A 12-year-old Idaho camper visiting from the eastern U.S. is dead.

Test results confirm he had West Nile virus, an illness spread by mosquitoes that has never caused a death in Idaho state history.

But health officials are quick to point out, they don't know if that's what killed him. In fact, he may have been the victim of another insect-related disease.

This little camper tested positive for West Nile virus and preliminary screenings indicate he may have also contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever from a tick.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...s.4453fea.html

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    BOISE -- A 12-year-old Idaho camper visiting from the eastern U.S. is dead.

Test results confirm he had West Nile virus, an illness spread by mosquitoes that has never caused a death in Idaho state history.

But health officials are quick to point out, they don't know if that's what killed him. In fact, he may have been the victim of another insect-related disease.

This little camper tested positive for West Nile virus and preliminary screenings indicate he may have also contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever from a tick.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...s.4453fea.html
    I think this article is a bit misleading. West Nile may never have killed anyone in Idaho, but it certainly can be fatal. In GA I know there have been multiple deaths definitively linked to the virus, plus many more cases of people getting seriously ill and recovering.

Of course, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is no picnic either.

This is such a sad case. This boy's parents sent him to this camp to help him through issues he was having with having been adopted.

I read somewhere that his Mother said he had really worked through things while at camp, and had written something just before his death that was very poignant about his adoptive family.

They keep expanding the spraying area for West Nile Virus bearing mosquitos in thsi area. First they sprayed from trucks driving around at night, and after that didn't help, they have now switched to spraying from the air.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...60/detail.html

This is so sad.......RIP Rocco.

snip

"I wanted Rocco to have peace and I wanted him to be successful in life and to have an inner calmness that I knew he was struggling with," said Teresa Magliozzi. "And we sent him to a great camp and who could have predicted that he would have gotten bit by a bug?"

Rocco's parents searched for a camp where he could go to reconcile lifelong issues he had over being an adopted child....

"His whole life we told him how special he was," said Teresa Magliozzi.

"He played big and he had a big heart. He had a lot of interests. He loved to read, he loved archery, football, baseball, he loved being on a team," said Teresa Magliozzi.

At the Idaho camp, the boy wrote about his struggles in a journal.

"My mother always said God wanted me to be in this family and I believe her now. And I have a warm feeling inside. And that was his gift to us," Teresa Magliozzi read from the journal.....