Mel Gibson

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
This second apology does appear to have at last started to make some sort of sense - not least, to my mind, that he has taken all doubt he made anti-semetic remarks at the time of his arrest away.

“This is finally an apology,” said Abraham H. Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League. “We’re glad that he owned up that what he said was not only offensive, but bigoted. When he’s finished with alcohol rehabilitation, we will be ready and willing to meet with him and to help him get rid of his other addiction, which is prejudice.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/02/a...&en=2070e0fe65d5a1d1&ei=5094&partner=homepage

(anyone not able to see this article at the link may like to try Bug Me Not if they don't want to register for the New York Times: http://www.bugmenot.com/ )

a vitriolic commentary appears in my next link, which takes Mr Gibson (and his father) apart for the writer's perceived view of anti-semetism; not only during the arrest, but also for the film The Passion of the Christ.

Let this be the last we hear from Mel Gibson

At the time when The Passion of the Christ was being released, many nervous evangelical Christians tried to get the more horrifying bits of anti-Semitic incitement toned down. (The crazy scene where the rabbis demand the blood of Jesus on their own heads was taken out of subtitles, for example, but left as it was in Aramaic.) Many conservative Jews, from David Horowitz to rabbi Daniel Lapin, stuck up for Gibson as a man who defended family values against secular nihilism.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,19985849-5006003,00.html

i don't align myself with the author's views in the above article: however, i post it to show how many may view Mel Gibson at present. and why i believe there is no way back for the artist.

this is not a run of the mill celebrity arrest for DUI. it will follow Mel Gibson to the end of his days, IMO.

Floh said:
So the following picture (with thanks to Todd Hausberger - wonder how much he got paid for it! :rolleyes: ) is from British rag, The Sun. it shows Mel at Moonshadows restaurant in Malibu before he got in his car.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2006350391,00.html

is the video out yet, BTW?
Gee, I'll bet his wife and family are proud of him now, NOT!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mel's remarks seem to be anti-semitic. I don't see how he can backtrack and expect to be believed that he didn't mean it. Poor old Mel must think that he is above the law by speeding, driving drunk, making lewd comments to a woman, disrespecting the police, and making remarks about Jewish people.

Agree that this will follow Mel for the rest of his life--Obviously his ignorant father has planted somethng in Mel that will not go away--Perhaps Mel should donate 5 million bucks to a Jewish Charity or the Anti-defamation League--but the damage is done--you can't unring a bell

He looks pretty wasted in that picture. He looks like he may not even be able to hardly walk much less drive.

LinasK said:
Gee, I'll bet his wife and family are proud of him now, NOT!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
The article quotes the girls as saying he wasn't flirting or being inappropriate. A group of people were "chatting him up" and getting their pictures taken with him.

...and the picking apart continues. I wonder when people in the media, etc. will be satisfied they have gotten their pound of flesh?

Kind of makes me wonder what's wrong with those that aren't satisfied yet? Also, where was all the indignation and furor in the press when the innocent Jewish women in Seattle were shot? :rolleyes: :waitasec:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/9600949/detail.html

You would think Mel Gibson had murdered someone!!

He was posing for pictures at fans' requests and mingling with a group of people...including men. They said he wasn't flirting or inappropriate.

RelishJars.jpg

IdahoMom said:
He was posing for pictures at fans' requests and mingling with a group of people...including men. They said he wasn't flirting or inappropriate.

RelishJars.jpg
I have heard the same thing.Is it being said he was inappropriate?

JBean said:
I have heard the same thing.Is it being said he was inappropriate?
Clearly, the implication is that he was.....otherwise, some wouldn't gloat at the pictures taken with women. InTouch is front row, center with their pictures, now, aren't they? Now, I am sure InTouch will be COY and say that wasn't their motivation. People need to be more sincere....if they put the crap out there, they should own their motivation for doing so.

IdahoMom said:
Clearly, the implication is that he was.....otherwise, some wouldn't gloat at the pictures taken with women. InStyle is front row, center with their pictures, now, aren't they?
Didn't even occur to me.Personally,, I was looking at the fact he was drunk just prior to driving, which these women say was true. I wasn't even considering he was flirting, as he is a star and they pose with people all the time. So I don't think "clearly the implication is" is accurate.

ETA: I haven't heard one news report saying he was flirting or inappropriate with any of these people. In fact, just the opposite.

JBean said:
Didn't even occur to me.Personally,, I was looking at the fact he was drunk just prior to driving, which these women say was true. I wasn't even considering he was flirting, as he is a star and they pose with people all the time. So I don't think "clearly the implication is" is accurate.
We see it differently I guess.

InTouch:
vulture.gif

OK...this horse has been beaten to death. Maybe InTouch will make mega millions off their story and go merrily on their way.

Idaho, since Mel is outspoken and a controversial character this comes with the territory. Even Mel knows that. That's why he is working so hard to redeem himself. he knows he has some personal atonement to do and a career to salvage. Otherwise he wouldn't be going public with all his apologies etc.

I mean we are both here on this thread discussing it, people are interested.

JBean said:
Idaho, since Mel is outspoken and a controversial character this comes with the territory. Even Mel knows that. That's why he is working so hard to redeem himself. he knows he has some personal atonement to do and a career to salvage. Otherwise he wouldn't be going public with all his apologies etc.

I mean we are both here on this thread discussing it, people are interested.
Yep.

JBean said:

ETA: I haven't heard one news report saying he was flirting or inappropriate with any of these people. In fact, just the opposite.

That's what i was looking at - the appearance of 'woozyness'. i saw he was posing for pics with fans and didn't think he was being 'inappropriate' at all as far as flirting and the like with females.

he simply looks plastered, to me. not in any shape ready to take the wheel.

I admire Mel for accepting responsibility for his inappropriate behavior. Alcoholism always makes people do things they regret. He's just a man. A person who did something he isn't proud of. And he's getting help for his addiction. I'm not sure what more could be expected of him.

:blowkiss: Bravo and best wishes, Mel.

Ntegrity said:
I admire Mel for accepting responsibility for his inappropriate behavior. Alcoholism always makes people do things they regret. He's just a man. A person who did something he isn't proud of. And he's getting help for his addiction. I'm not sure what more could be expected of him.

:blowkiss: Bravo and best wishes, Mel.
I know what you mean Ntegrity. Stepping up is a good thing.You have to start somewhere with something like this.
ETA: Our morning news reported that there was something deeply troubling mel that night,prior to the arrest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back