FL - Melissa Samoraj & Raymond LaFountain for starving, abusing 9-yo girl, 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
ST. PETERSBURG - A woman and her roommate were arrested Wednesday, accused of withholding food from the woman's 9-year-old daughter to the point where her weight dropped by more than a third, authorities said.

Melissa Samoraj, 27, and Raymond LaFountain, 31, also are accused of forcing the girl to wear a soiled diaper and of locking her in her room at least once, with her hands tied behind her back, for an extended period of time, St. Petersburg police Detective J.P. DeLuca said.

Each was charged with one count of aggravated child abuse and booked into Pinellas County Jail, with bail set at $50,000 each. Specifically, they unlawfully and intentionally caused great bodily harm to a child younger than 12, police spokesman Bill Proffitt said.

Samoraj works as a secretary in a doctor's office, said a woman who answered the door to her apartment Wednesday. LaFountain is unemployed, DeLuca said.

LaFountain told DeLuca he was
http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGB7XMJLEQE.html

in another little twist it was first reported that the roommate was her B/F until they did the strip search at the Jail.

I am rather disturbed that this little girl was placed with her grandparents.
Where were they while she was being starved??

Amraann said:
in another little twist it was first reported that the roommate was her B/F until they did the strip search at the Jail.

The grandmother is the one who reported it.

"LaFountain's mother was visiting the couple and the girl at their St. Petersburg apartment when she was taken aback by the girl's physical appearance and reported it, DeLuca said. The girl seemed unusually thin, "as though she hasn't been eating," DeLuca quoted LaFountain's mother as saying.

"When the girl was removed by the state Department of Children & Families on June 30, she weighed 41 1/2 pounds, and her spine and rib cage showed, DeLuca said. At that time police began investigating the case. By the time DeLuca interviewed the girl July 28 at her grandparents' home in Citrus County, where she now lives, she had regained weight and now weighs between 65 and 70 pounds, the detective said."

Amraann said:

LaFountain's mother was visiting the couple and the girl at their St. Petersburg apartment when she was taken aback by the girl's physical appearance and reported it, DeLuca said. The girl seemed unusually thin, "as though she hasn't been eating," DeLuca quoted LaFountain's mother as saying.

Gained About 25 To 30 Pounds
When the girl was removed by the state Department of Children & Families on June 30, she weighed 41 1/2 pounds, and her spine and rib cage showed, DeLuca said. At that time police began investigating the case. By the time DeLuca interviewed the girl July 28 at her grandparents' home in Citrus County, where she now lives, she had regained weight and now weighs between 65 and 70 pounds, the detective said.

From reading this it sounds like the grandmother acted quickly to get help.

OB

:confused: Why must grown people insist on hurting,abusing,humiliating the young? Does this kind of abuse give them some kind of gratification? Make them feel like they hold some kind of power? This he/she thing was obviously messed up in the head to begin with and whyyyyyy was a 9 year old wearing a diaper?

Mygirlsadie said:
:confused: Why must grown people insist on hurting,abusing,humiliating the young? Does this kind of abuse give them some kind of gratification? Make them feel like they hold some kind of power? This he/she thing was obviously messed up in the head to begin with and whyyyyyy was a 9 year old wearing a diaper?
It's possible the 9 year old was disabled in one way or another.

Hope they throw the key away on both of them........FOREVER...:furious:

ST PETERSBURG, Florida (AP) -- A woman and her roommate were charged with starving the woman's 9-year-old daughter, who weighed just 42 pounds when she was found, authorities said.

The child also was locked up all day and was forced to wear a filthy diaper, police said.

Melissa Samoraj, 27, and Raymond LaFountain, 31, were arrested Wednesday and charged with aggravated child abuse.

The girl was so emaciated that her spine and ribcage were showing when state child welfare officials took her June 30, police said.

The girl also had her hands bound behind her, was locked in a bedroom all day and wore a diaper that went unchanged for hours, officials said. She told police it was punishment for bad behavior.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/03/starved.girl.ap/index.html

I'M SO VERY SICK OF THESE CASES. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I wish we could bind their hands up and put them in a diaper and leave them there for days and see how they feel! This absolutely burns me up!!! :furious:

Me too Jeana. I say let the punishment fit the crime. They should have the same done to them.

I found this interesting from the article that you posted:

LaFountain was originally described by police as Samoraj's live-in boyfriend, but the gender classification at the jail was changed from male to female following a routine strip search, Pinellas sheriff's spokesman Mac McMullen said.

Me to Shadow! You would think she'd just say "hey, I'm a chick," but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :waitasec:

There's already a thread about this......in crimes in the news...

Pharlap said:
There's already a thread about this......in crimes in the news...

That's where this is too. Can you help me out? Post a link for me? I'll merge them. Thanks!!

Melissa Mary Samoraj

Housed: Gadsden Correctional Facility
Sentence Date: 03/17/2008

Offense: Aggravated Child Abuse
Sentence: 5 years 4 months

Offense: Child Neglect
Sentence: 5 years

Offense: Obtain a Controlled Substance by Fraud - Oxycodone
Sentence: 5 years

Sentences are concurrent
Current Release Date: 02/27/2012

Raymond Blake LaFountain