768 users online (112 members and 656 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starving kids' mother still in custody

She says they went 5 days with no food because she had no money

...Bryant, who will undergo psychological testing, admitted to police that she had not fed her children for five days. She, too, had not eaten. Bryant was a nurse's aide but has not worked in three years after a traffic accident...
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/4093814.html

The mom is still in jail..the kids are being treated. But was this a crime of negligence or stupidity....did she deliberately starve these kids?

Through my employment I did meet one family who hadn't eaten in 2 days...they'd called & visited every agency available - and that includes Social Services & churches, etc...They were offered help but it wouldn't be immediate...No soup kitchens or hot lines available in this rural area - no family....They were living out of the car in 90 degree heat. So some co-workers and I cooked & took them food...but only when a group of old, angry women went with them to social services did they get the help they needed.

I don't know about this either, I mean if she didn't have any money then I don't think she just denied them the food. I have seen people not get help who clearly should and people who don't need it get everything.

A 12 year old boy wouldn't drop to 42 pounds in five days. She starved them over a period of time. I think she was desperately in need, but there are places to get help.

The boy weighed 42 pounds when he and his 12-year-old sister were taken to the University of Texas Medical Branch on Tuesday evening. The girl was treated at the hospital and then placed in foster care. The boy is expected to make a full recovery and also be placed foster care.

The Boy was 8 and I am not sure 42 lbs for an 8 YO is extremely underweight.

I think it depends on the childs build. So its hard to say. I would think it was deliberate starvation if the mother was eating but she went without too.
    IMO this women is being punished because she is poor.

Was the information about where to locate food readily available?
    Clearly she isn't the brightlest bulb in the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann

I think it depends on the childs build. So its hard to say. I would think it was deliberate starvation if the mother was eating but she went without too.
    IMO this women is being punished because she is poor.

Was the information about where to locate food readily available?
    Clearly she isn't the brightlest bulb in the pack.

Yes, he's 8. I think I read that too fast. Thanks!!!!

I think if she would have asked at school, they would have assisted her in where she could seek aid.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann

I think it depends on the childs build. So its hard to say.
    My thin build 8yo weighs 53lbs. On the other hand, my huskier build 5yo weighs 43lbs.

That women either deliberately starved her kids or is totally incompetent. There is no church that would turn away a mother who needs to feed her children.

My 8yr old boy weighs 49lbs. On the other hand my 6yr old boy weighs 47lbs. So I guess it just depends on the kid. 2 years ago there was a friend of mine who divorced her husband and had no money no job I got her hired on at the school as an aide that I worked at and we all know that your first check takes at least a few weeks to get so we were noticing that she was taking empty water bottles in the bathroom at school and filling them and putting them in her purse for something to drink later at her new apt. She didnt have electricity or water yet & no money to get it. A co-worker and I talked to the preacher of the school (Episcopal pre-school) and he gave us some vouchers to give her to get her electric turned on and her water. We also went to the grocery store and bought her $30 of food each. It wasnt much I know but it got her through until her first check came in. Sometimes when you are down on your luck & there is nothing you can do, then there is nothing you can do.

Even if she was poor, the schools have lunch programs (and some have breakfast programs) so that children can eat.

schools have that, just not during summer break. I remember where I grew up and the local pools during the summer would always pass out free lunches, but where we live now they don't.

When we were stationed at Fort Knox back in 2003 I remember all the parks on the base had these little trucks that would pass out brown bag lunches to all the kids at the park. I don't know if they do that in civilian world or not.,

Quote Originally Posted by cathieqThrough my employment I [i
    did [/i]meet one family who hadn't eaten in 2 days...they'd called & visited every agency available - and that includes Social Services & churches, etc...They were offered help but it wouldn't be immediate...No soup kitchens or hot lines available in this rural area - no family....They were living out of the car in 90 degree heat. So some co-workers and I cooked & took them food...but only when a group of old, angry women went with them to social services did they get the help they needed.
    I know exactly what you mean. About 25 years ago, a friend of mine (single mother with a young son) was completely down and out due to some unforseen circumstances. She had filled out all the paperwork to apply for food stamps (there was always a two week waiting period) and she asked me for a ride to the courthouse on "food stamp day" (always on Fridays) and then to the grocery store because she didn't have a car. When we got there, the office was busy handing out food stamps to a huge group of Cambodian refugees and the woman behind the counter told my friend (in a rather snotty tone), "We didn't have time to process your paperwork. You'll just have to come back next Friday." My friend held it together until we got in the elevator and then she just broke down. She finally confessed that they'd had no food in nearly a week other than boiled noodles with margarine and she was just trying to hang on until they could get food stamps. Heck, my husband and I didn't have much money either, but we gave her some meat from our freezer and bought her 10 lbs of potatoes, milk, eggs, bread and some canned vegetables to hold her over until the next "food stamp day." I was always thankful that her son was way too young to realize what was happening.
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    There is no church that would turn away a mother who needs to feed her children.
    Sorry to tell you this, but the biggest church in my hometown routinely turns away people in need, stating, "We aren't here to serve the poor." Pretty sad, in my opinion.
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

I just wonder if this is a criminal act. (Of course starving your child is)

But I mean willful on this womens part. Justice is served when we lock up those who willfully harm others.
    Maybe the available resources are not readily so where she lives.

Its not exactly like its advertised on TV where to go if your starving.
    She was out of work for an injury.. Maybe she really could not work?
    Or wasn't resourceful enough to think of a work soultion that she could try?

I am not saying its ok to starve the children but I think its wrong to punish someone for simply being stupid without proving her actions were willful to cause harm. She did call an ambulance when her child became ill. IMO if she walked into a hospital day previous and said we have no food or money in most cases with no insurance she would have been turned away.
    Maybe some rare person would have directed her about what to do to get help... But then again maybe she also needed a car or a means to get to said hospital and felt she could not call an ambulance until it really was an emergency.
    Is she smart?? NO but I don't think that equates to criminal neglect or any purpose is served by sending her to jail.
    If given the resources to help her I am guessing she would be a good mom.
    There was nothing about drug use or men in and out of the home.
    Possibly if she went that route she would have had food and the article would have been about how the child had been beaten to death by a guy she knew for 3 months???

I just have that queasy little feeling that this was not a willful act...It's easy for those of us with the smarts - the gumption - the determination to do whatever we have to do in order for our families to survive. Would I forage through trash to feed my kids if that's all I knew to do? Of course! Would I walk up to a stranger and literally beg for something to feed my kids...to heck with me - just feed my kids...would I do that? Of course! Would I break the law - if that what it took? Of course! But there are just as many out here in the world who do not have the smarts - the gumption to do that. Determination doesn't figure into the picture if you don't have the gumption in the first place.

I do know that you just don't waltz into DHS (as we call it) and walk out with the aid you need. You have to be checked and rechecked...and told to come back...If you don't have transportation, once again we're back to the old smarts-gumption-determination thingy...

But at least now they are all eating....so would I go to jail and let my kids be put in foster care in order that they might eat? Of course!

While intent to starve your children is definitely a crime, I just don't feel like this woman maliciously starved hers.

We don't know the extent of her disabilities from said car accident, if she could have found some kind of job or not. Perhaps it wasn't stupidity that caused her not to obtain food, maybe part of it was pride, for one. I do agree that she's probably not the sharpest tool in the shed, but not completely stupid.

I was a single mom, & part of the "working poor". Thank God for family, as my parents often gave me groceries. I was too proud to ask for it, but they knew I needed the help. I was told I could have gotten some government assistance, but was too proud for that, too. Maybe she just felt she was between a rock & a hard place & just chose badly...very badly.

I'm glad her kids will be well-fed, now. I would hope that she's grateful for that, as well. I can imagine the feelings of failure.

"There, but for the grace of God, go I".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast