GUILTY TX - Brittaney Stembridge, 8 mos, dies in hot closet, Haltom City, 24 July 2006

cathieq

Reaction score
HALTOM CITY – An 18-year-old baby-sitter arrested Thursday after one child died and another was hurt while in her care is suspected of neglecting a third child, police said...

...Stephans was watching five to seven children at the time at Amesbury Apartments in Haltom City...
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/15198848.htm

You have to read the article & the 911 call. It's apparent (IMO) that she didn't do this deliberately. But my problem....the parents...I think I would have had second thoughts on someone so young watching that many kids.....

But she put babies in a closet...with no air conditioning...in Texas...unsupervised. She's in troubule.

"Stephans placed Brittaney Stembridge and the 10-month-old in a bedroom closet and covered them with a blanket on July 24 to help them sleep, according to the affidavit. The teen told police she had turned off the air conditioner in her apartment. "

She covered them with a blanket, put them in a closet and turned off the AC in the apt in the middle of summer there and went out to wash her vechicle. What did she think would happen...I can't wrap my head around this...If she honestly did not realize they would die or be harmed then she still needs to be locked up away from society....she's too stupid to be walking around.:doh:

cathieq said:
You have to read the article & the 911 call. It's apparent (IMO) that she didn't do this deliberately. But my problem....the parents...I think I would have had second thoughts on someone so young watching that many kids.....
I'm sure she didn't plan for the infant to die, but she did deliberately put the babies in the closet. That artical stated that she repeatedly left infants in her bedroom closet so she did not have to hear them cry. She had no business babysitting. Even her own baby was in foster care. I would have been very hesitant to leave a baby w/ her. She seems really immature for 18. I was watching a family of 4 children overnight at 14!! If you can't tolerate a crying baby, what in the heck are you doing babysitting?

Putting the babies in the closet was negligent, stupid and immature, but turning off the air conditioning, covering their heads with a blanket and THEN putting them in a closet when its 100 degrees in Texas is premeditated murder. I'm afraid if she did this to one of my children I would have to strangle her with my bare hands.

Crap. If she did this to my dog, they would be arresting me, if she did this to a child, I would go nuclear and there would be no town left or jail.

curious1 said:
Crap. If she did this to my dog, they would be arresting me, if she did this to a child, I would go nuclear and there would be no town left or jail.
:D :D :D :D :D

I would be in jail if she did this to my little kids, heck Id rip her apart for doing it to someone elses.

:furious: And why wasnt her own baby put in the closet in plus 100 degree heat with a blanket covering it? She did this deliberatly. 5454567656000 reasons why I never used a babysitter for my kids... ugh!

Better yet, why were the parents of these children allowing her to watch them? If her own child was taken away by social services, isn't that a good indication that she's not a good caregiver?

bykerladi I believe her baby was taken away after this incident. I could be wrong.

bykerladi said:
Better yet, why were the parents of these children allowing her to watch them? If her own child was taken away by social services, isn't that a good indication that she's not a good caregiver?

I wouldn't want someone that young, or who was watching that many babies, caring for my infant.

Her baby was taken away prior to this incident. So far, they have not said why her child was taken away.

kahskye said:
I'm sure she didn't plan for the infant to die, but she did deliberately put the babies in the closet. That artical stated that she repeatedly left infants in her bedroom closet so she did not have to hear them cry. She had no business babysitting. Even her own baby was in foster care. I would have been very hesitant to leave a baby w/ her. She seems really immature for 18. I was watching a family of 4 children overnight at 14!! If you can't tolerate a crying baby, what in the heck are you doing babysitting?

It is extreme neglect. With a purpose. She was stating that her existence was more importent than the babies with her intent. She killed them. She put innocent babies in a closet to die.It isn't about babysitting.

Stephans has an 8-month-old son who was placed in foster care immediately after Brittaney Stembridge’s July 24 death, said Marissa Gonzales, spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services. A hearing will be in held in two weeks to determine whether the boy should remain in foster care or be placed in the care of Stephans’ relatives while the case is ongoing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back