GUILTY FL - Christina Wells Welch, 19, dies from '86 child abuse injuries, 15 March 2006

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
NEW PORT RICHEY - It was nearly 20 years ago that 2-month-old Christina Ann Wells' young parents took the infant to a hospital, her tiny body bruised and broken.

She survived. The parents went to jail.

In the years that followed, Christina was given a new family, a new name - Christina Marie Welch - and a new life.

She never completely healed, physically or mentally.

Her death at age 19 in March - ruled a homicide in May - is raising more questions about the shaken baby syndrome she suffered almost two decades before.

Pasco County sheriff's officials announced Friday that the agency is investigating whether the injuries from years ago caused her recent death, after the autopsy in May determined the cause to be complications from blunt-force trauma.

"We have no evidence at this point that there was any recent abuse
http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBWZVQGHQE.html

Well, murder doesn't have a statute of limitations, but...

I have a hard time believing that this girl died 19 years after the abuse BECAUSE of the abuse... Permanent brain damage I believe. I'd like to know the circumstances around her death. It was ruled a homicide... why? And what if she was hit in the head recently?

Besides that, as the article mentions, there is a major problem with double jeopardy in charging the parents with murder.

I don't have that difficult time believing that it could be a result of the earlier abuse. My son had a brain hemorrhage at the age of 9 that was caused by a weak vessel in his brain that he'd apparently had since birth. When it finally burst he was doing nothing but sitting in the school cafeteria watching a program.

We were told that many people have hidden defects deep in their brains that may or may not cause a problem later in life. I can very easily see that some of them could be caused by childhood injuries.

The typos and duplicated contradictory statments in that article kind of worry me.

Seems like a witch hunt. IMO the parents should have NEVER been released.
But they were and this is double jepardy... not only that but I don't believe all these cases are shaken baby. This one I think so but it seems that every child who dies without other cause (like a car accident) is a shaken baby and I am not comfortable with that inlight of Dr's always claiming to know so little about the brain. It sometimes seems like people feel a need to have some grand answer and I am not sure there always is one.
Are many being accused when they are innocent? It just seems like Justice has lost its goal lately. Rather then guilty until proven innocent, its lets find someone to blame. I want to know what other birth related brain defects appear like shaken baby syndrome?

Mabel said:
I don't have that difficult time believing that it could be a result of the earlier abuse. My son had a brain hemorrhage at the age of 9 that was caused by a weak vessel in his brain that he'd apparently had since birth. When it finally burst he was doing nothing but sitting in the school cafeteria watching a program.

Mabel, I'm sorry to hear about your son. But having a problem because of a weak vessel you're born with and dying because of being shaken as a child are two COMPLETELY different situations, IMO.

Mabel said:

We were told that many people have hidden defects deep in their brains that may or may not cause a problem later in life. I can very easily see that some of them could be caused by childhood injuries.

Oh, Mabel~~I am so sorry!! :( :( :( Bless your heart.

omg mabel. i'm so sorry! i worry about things like that every day. it's stressful. :(

bykerladi said:
Mabel, I'm sorry to hear about your son. But having a problem because of a weak vessel you're born with and dying because of being shaken as a child are two COMPLETELY different situations, IMO.

I'm sorry, I should have posted that my son did survive and, although it was quite a struggle for a while, he's now a perfectly healthy 25 year old. I appreciate all the comments though. :blowkiss:

The point I was trying to make, bykerladi (cool name) is that it is, IMO, entirely possible that being shaken as an infant could have caused an injury such as a damaged vessel that might, many years later, cause death. I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

http://www.adn.com/2010/04/17/1229724/2-decades-after-shaking-baby-father.html

NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. - Soon after Christina Welch turned 18 in the spring of 2005, her biological parents asked permission to pay her a visit. Mike and Tina Wells broke down when the bed covers were pulled back and they saw the state of the girl: so severely brain damaged as a baby that she never learned to walk, talk or sit up by herself.

---
Prayers for Christina and adoptive family, hope this guy never has another good day for as long as he lives.:furious:

May sweet Beanie (Christina's adoring adoptive mother's pet name for her) finally get to run and play and laugh with the angels. Blessings to her adoptive mother in her loss.

Maureen and the late Jim Welch , angels on earth. Christina was blessed to have them care and adopt her. People say there are so few heroes due respect, but they exist in people like the Welches,

and You and your dh, Miss Izzy.

i think its pathetic that she had to die to finally get justice......a year for permanently disabling her? come on!!!! arghhhhhhh. they killed her long before she stopped breathing. :(

May sweet Beanie (Christina's adoring adoptive mother's pet name for her) finally get to run and play and laugh with the angels. Blessings to her adoptive mother in her loss.

I agree with your comments Missizzy. God Bless Beanie who can now run and play. Her adoptive mom is an angel herself.

I'm glad to see the who did this finally pay. Not enough but finally pay. I don't care what kind of life he had after he shook Christina as a baby. He still caused took this girls life at such a young age.

Run Beanie, run laugh and play. You're free now.

Prayers to Christinas family for their loss.

From April 2010:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/17/decades-shaking-baby-father-jailed/

Soon after Christina Welch turned 18 in the spring of 2005, her biological parents asked permission to pay her a visit. Mike and Tina Wells broke down when the bed covers were pulled back and they saw the state of the girl: so severely brain damaged as a baby that she never learned to walk, talk or sit up by herself...

"I didn't know I hurt her that bad," he said to Welch...

Last month, Christopher Michael Wells, now 42, pleaded no contest to second-degree murder and got a 15-year prison sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back