1145 users online (162 members and 983 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    472

    CA - Charles Hedlund, 55, brutally murdered, Cajon Pass, 3 Aug 2006

    Manhunt on for fugitive charged in the death of SoCal businessman



    The Associated Press

    Last Updated 5:45 pm PDT Monday, August 7, 2006



    SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) - A convicted rapist wanted in the death of a Washington state woman was being sought by federal authorities who believe he was involved in the disappearance of a Southern California businessman. John Wayne Thomson, 46, was charged with murder Friday in the death of Charles Ray Hedlund, 55, of Lucerne Valley, who was reported missing Wednesday. A body was found Saturday near Hedlund's abandoned pickup truck off Interstate 15, and authorities said they've found evidence in the vehicle that has been linked to Thomson. The truck was discovered a few miles from where the California Highway Patrol found a Honda Civic that Thomson is accused of stealing from Washington state.



    John Wayne Thomson, 46, was charged with murder Friday in the death of Charles Ray Hedlund, 55, of Lucerne Valley, who was reported missing Wednesday. A body was found Saturday near Hedlund's abandoned pickup truck off Interstate 15, and authorities said they've found evidence in the vehicle that has been linked to Thomson. The truck was discovered a few miles from where the California Highway Patrol found a Honda Civic that Thomson is accused of stealing from Washington state.


    Investigators believe the body is Hedlund's but would not know for sure until the medical report is released Monday, said San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Beavers.


    Thomson is also charged with murder in the death Lori Hamm, 36, whose body was found early last week in Cowlitz County, Wash. The FBI was also seeking Thomson for questioning in the July 7 disappearance of James Ehrgott, 73, of Spokane, Wash. Ehrgott's vehicle was found five days later in Centralia, Wash.

    Authorities said Thomson has an extensive criminal record including three felony convictions for rape.

    "He's a violent person with a violent past," Beavers said. "Investigators believe he is carrying a weapon."

    The FBI said Thomson lived in nearby Riverside County, east of Los Angeles, more than a decade ago and could have local connections. "He was last seen in Riverside County earlier this month. He has friends there. It may be a comfort zone for him," said FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller.


    http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/sto...15120611c.html

    ETA: This man already has three felony convictions for rape!





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SO CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by mfmangel1
    Manhunt on for fugitive charged in the death of SoCal businessman



    The Associated Press

    Last Updated 5:45 pm PDT Monday, August 7, 2006



    SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) - A convicted rapist wanted in the death of a Washington state woman was being sought by federal authorities who believe he was involved in the disappearance of a Southern California businessman. John Wayne Thomson, 46, was charged with murder Friday in the death of Charles Ray Hedlund, 55, of Lucerne Valley, who was reported missing Wednesday. A body was found Saturday near Hedlund's abandoned pickup truck off Interstate 15, and authorities said they've found evidence in the vehicle that has been linked to Thomson. The truck was discovered a few miles from where the California Highway Patrol found a Honda Civic that Thomson is accused of stealing from Washington state.

    More at link: http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/sto...15120611c.html
    As of this afternoon John Wayne Thomson is now in custody. He was brought down by two young dock worker guys up in Victorville while he was attemping to car jack a woman's car.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    731
    This was asked by a commentor on the Sacbee article:

    How does someone convicted of 3 felonies get an "get out of jail" card? I hope they catch him soon...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl
    As of this afternoon John Wayne Thomson is now in custody. He was brought down by two young dock worker guys up in Victorville while he was attemping to car jack a woman's car.

    Sorry for being late with this info!

    Thanks for the update!

  5. #5
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446
    Thomson has been apprehended in Victorville, CA!

    Luckily a young man on his smoke break heard a woman screaming and went to her aid. Thomson was in the process of trying to carjack the lady. Another young man also aided in holding Thomson.

    They had no idea who the guy was! I hope they get a nice reward! Naturally the woman they rescued is eternally grateful.

    Source of info was Fox 11 News at 10.

    ETA Just noticed your post from this afternnon, Tom'Girl! Sorry for the duplication!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    651
    Should we be surprised that someone with 3 fellony rape convictions continued on his crime spree? When will the powers that be understand criminals like this only get worse and never give them the chance to prey on society again?

    OB
    this is just my opinion, it may be wrong, user beware!

  7. #7
    SewingDeb's Avatar
    SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,957
    Lots of info on his latest crime spree and how he was caught here:

    http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4148970

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SO CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    Lots of info on his latest crime spree and how he was caught here:

    http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4148970
    Glad you posted one of our local papers SD, we got the breaking news the minute it came through. The two young guys were so cool when they were being interviewed, I really enjoyed them.

    Here's another link that is good from a Riverside paper where an ex-girlfriend lives.

    SNIP:

    Two pressmen from a nearby newspaper grabbed Thomson as he was pulling a woman from her car in the restaurant's parking lot and used plastic zip ties to restrain him until deputies arrived, said witnesses and the men involved.

    "'You guys should feel good about yourselves. You caught one of the most wanted people up here,' " Joe Iskandar, one of the Victorville Daily Press pressmen, quoted Thomson as saying. "We told him to shut up. We thought he was bs'ing us."

    Iskandar and Rey Bantug were taking a cigarette break out on the newspaper's loading dock when they heard screams. Thomson, according to witnesses, had thrown a screaming woman from her car to the ground in the nearby restaurant's parking lot.

    GOOD LONG POST ON ALL THE DETAILS HERE:

    http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_blood08.2712e89.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SO CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    11,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    ETA Just noticed your post from this afternnon, Tom'Girl! Sorry for the duplication!
    Don't be silly gal, I was so excited when it came on yesterday at the scene. The one Asian kid was so upset he said seeing an elderly lady being treated that way..........he was way too sweet. The other kid was real cute, they really worked as a team. One held him down, the other ran in and got the 'Zip' ties.

    I have to admit, now whenever I hear 'Zip' tie you know who I think of

  10. #10
    Liz's Avatar
    Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    25,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl
    Glad you posted one of our local papers SD, we got the breaking news the minute it came through. The two young guys were so cool when they were being interviewed, I really enjoyed them.

    Here's another link that is good from a Riverside paper where an ex-girlfriend lives.

    SNIP:

    Two pressmen from a nearby newspaper grabbed Thomson as he was pulling a woman from her car in the restaurant's parking lot and used plastic zip ties to restrain him until deputies arrived, said witnesses and the men involved.

    "'You guys should feel good about yourselves. You caught one of the most wanted people up here,' " Joe Iskandar, one of the Victorville Daily Press pressmen, quoted Thomson as saying. "We told him to shut up. We thought he was bs'ing us."

    Iskandar and Rey Bantug were taking a cigarette break out on the newspaper's loading dock when they heard screams. Thomson, according to witnesses, had thrown a screaming woman from her car to the ground in the nearby restaurant's parking lot.

    GOOD LONG POST ON ALL THE DETAILS HERE:

    http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_blood08.2712e89.html

    Thanks! That was good article, Tom'sGirl! I noticed they left out the little detail that the two Victorville Press employees were on a "smoke" break. This is one case where smoking saved lives!
    lol!

    Thank goodness for smart thinking by all -- the lady had the wherewithall to blow her horn and scream! And thanks to those 2 guys not being afraid to get involved, plus their fast thinking getting those 'zip ties' to secure Thomson with!

    "A $5 million reward was offered after Thomson fled Washington state. It is unclear whether the money will go to the men who apprehended him Monday."

    Wow! I was thinking that there might be a $100,000 reward and hubby thought that was a lot. Wait till I tell him later today that it's $5 Million! I'd love to see those two guys get the reward! No telling how many more people Thomson may have killed if those two heroes had not apprehended him!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387

    Pleads not Guilty

    <snip>

    Suspected serial killer John Wayne Thomson stood behind a glass wall Tuesday as his lawyer entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.


    The 46-year-old thrice-convicted rapist has been charged with murder, robbery, carjacking, two attempted carjackings and auto theft. He is ordered back to court Nov. 16 for a disposition hearing, where defense attorney Stephan Willms and prosecutor Bob Bulloch will either reach a plea agreement or set a preliminary date.

    <snip>



    Hedlund's blood-spattered truck was found abandoned Aug. 2 on a dirt road near Cleghorn Road and Highway 138 in Cajon Pass. Thomson's ID was found inside the truck.

    Authorities suspect Thomson stabbed Hedlund several times after Hedlund pulled over to help the suspected serial killer, who appeared to be a stranded motorist. He also absconded with about $10,000, Hedlund's recent winnings from Las Vegas.

    Hedlund's brush-covered body was found Aug. 5 west of Interstate 15 in Cajon Pass.

    Thomson could face the death penalty if convicted of the murder. After facing charges in San Bernardino County, he will likely be extradited to Washington State to stand trial for the shooting death of a woman there.

    Washington State police have charged Thomson with the death of Lori Hamm, 36, of Longview, Wash. Her body was found Aug. 1 in the woods of rural Cowlitz County, Wash. She had been shot in the head.

    Authorities also suspect Thomson killed 73-year-old James Ehrgott of Spokane, Wash. His body has not been found, but police discovered the elderly man's car abandoned in a remote campground. Witnesses say they saw a man fitting Thomson's description driving.

    The original charges against Thomson were amended to include a carjacking and two attempted carjackings in Victorville the day he was captured.

    According to court documents, after hitting an elderly man on the head with a hammer, Thomson drove about a half mile in his car. He then tried to carjack a woman, but ran away when her son came running to help her. Authorities said next he accosted a woman sitting in her car listening to the radio. As Thomson yanked her from the car and tried to drive away, two pressmen scaled a wall and tackled him, authorities said.

    Entire Article


    This guy is a flippin' lunatic!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,431
    From April 2014:

    http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20...on-pass-murder

    Inside the San Bernardino Superior Courthouse, Judge Michael Smith sentenced the Washington man to death for fatally stabbing Charles Hedlund, a 55-year-old Beaumont businessman, and nearly severing his tongue after the victim offered the defendant a ride in 2006.

    “The weight of the evidence does support the jury’s verdict of the death penalty,” Smith said, referring to the recommendation that came in December following a lengthy trial.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-26-2017, 12:25 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2016, 01:51 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2016, 07:54 AM
  4. GUILTY SC - Sharon Stone, 46, brutally murdered, Chesterfield County, Jan 2006
    By PonderingThings in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 12:30 AM
  5. GUILTY OH - Miranda Lint, 28, brutally murdered, Middletown, 1 Jan 2006
    By PrayersForMaura in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 09:02 PM

Tags for this Thread