1135 users online (198 members and 937 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    3,642

    FBI: Approach Missing Egyptians with Caution

    The FBI has issued an urgent nationwide alert for 11 Egyptian students who entered the United States last week but failed to show up for their courses at Montana State University.

    An FBI advisory says there are, at present, no known connections to any terrorist group but that the students are to be "approached with caution" and taken into custody. They "are here illegally and wanted for questioning," the advisory says.

    The advisory comes just over a month before the five-year anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks on the United States.

    "This is of very serious concern and is being closely tracked," said Rep. Peter King (R-NY), Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

    The FBI says the Egyptians arrived at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York on July 29 and disappeared. The advisory says the alert is nationwide but that there is specific concern the Egyptians may be on the Eastern Seaboard.

    According to the advisory the 11 missing Egyptians are: Names are listed at the link http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...proach_mi.html
    Retired 08/03/03

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,630
    That's scary! I wonder what they were supposed to be studying in Montana? I imagine they came on student visas and were restricted to only a certain area.

  3. #3
    I wonder how they came to be travelling together on the same day to attend the same university?

    I am sure there will be some sort of outcry that they are being unfairly targetted just because they are from the middle east. A group of Canadian students, or French students, or any other foreign students, after all, would probably not arouse such concern if they were to disappear. Sadly, this is the state of the world post 9-11....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    Quote Originally Posted by sandraladeda
    I wonder how they came to be travelling together on the same day to attend the same university?

    I am sure there will be some sort of outcry that they are being unfairly targetted just because they are from the middle east. A group of Canadian students, or French students, or any other foreign students, after all, would probably not arouse such concern if they were to disappear. Sadly, this is the state of the world post 9-11....
    My son leaves for a semester at sea in a few weeks. He will go to school on a cruise ship with 700 other students. They will be attending all kinds of programs and classes together, both on and off the ship. I assume these kids were doing something similar as a group.They are to be gone for over 4 months.
    my son will go to Egypt, Istanbul, Viet Nam,Croatia, India,Spain, Japan, China and more.
    I'm gittin' nervous.

  5. #5
    Let's see if I get this. You are scared that the missing students are terrorists or that they have come to harm?

    This is to no one poster in particular BTW

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    Let's see if I get this. You are scared that the missing students are terrorists or that they have come to harm?

    This is to no one poster in particular BTW
    You mean me? I am only getting nervous for my son to travel.

    ETA: LOL I just read your post again nevermind.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    You mean me? I am only getting nervous for my son to travel.

    ETA: LOL I just read your post again nevermind.
    I would be nervous about foreign travel these days even though I love it so.

    What a great opportunity for mind expansion for your son. May he be safe, yet have adventures and experiences that will broaden his horizon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    I would be nervous about foreign travel these days even though I love it so.

    What a great opportunity for mind expansion for your son. May he be safe, yet have adventures and experiences that will broaden his horizon.
    I am nervous about it, but it is a great opportunity.
    Thanks for your good thoughts. I appreciate it.

  9. #9
    Traveling in a group is generally safer. What kind of student group is this? What are they studying?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    Quote Originally Posted by windovervocalcords
    Traveling in a group is generally safer. What kind of student group is this? What are they studying?
    He will be taking regular classes that are transferable to San Diego State where he is seeking his degree.


    Semester at Sea adds a global semester to your undergraduate experience. The shipboard curriculum will give you insights into various cultures and societies and teach you to analyze those you observe and encounter. These intellectual tools will stay with you for life, allowing you to understand new places and to relate past experiences to future situations.

    Classes meet daily while at sea, so classroom contact resembles that on a traditional land campus. Most Semester at Sea classes average between 20 and 30 students and emphasize maximum student involvement. During the 100-day fall and spring semesters, the minimum required academic load is 12 credit hours (four courses). For the 65-day summer program, the minimum course load is 9 credits (three courses).

    Outside the classroom, the shipboard setting and the time you will have in each country will foster close relationships between you and the faculty that are not possible on your home campus. Since most of your professors will have lived or traveled in countries on the itinerary, you will benefit from their experiences. You will be better prepared, both personally and academically, to understand and explore new cultures as the ship moves from one country to another.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,165
    Wow, this is weird and scary.

    And on another note not related to this case, someone keeps calling my cell phone and not leaving messages. I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. I checked out the number on google and it wasn't listed but the area code is from Montana! I know no one there. Maybe it's the Egyptian kids.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,587
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    My son leaves for a semester at sea in a few weeks. He will go to school on a cruise ship with 700 other students. They will be attending all kinds of programs and classes together, both on and off the ship. I assume these kids were doing something similar as a group.They are to be gone for over 4 months.
    my son will go to Egypt, Istanbul, Viet Nam,Croatia, India,Spain, Japan, China and more.
    I'm gittin' nervous.
    JBean, this sounds like a wonderful and exciting experience for your son! But I can understand you getting nervous. I was the same way last fall when my son spent 6 weeks out of the country.

  13. #13
    OMG, Maura! Do you think the 2 cases are related?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Maral
    JBean, this sounds like a wonderful and exciting experience for your son! But I can understand you getting nervous. I was the same way last fall when my son spent 6 weeks out of the country.
    It'll be a little over 4 months and the reality of it is, I have never been away from any of my children for that long. they all went to college nearby and are living nearby, so I see them all the time.
    I am excited for him, but I am very nervous..it is a funky time to be traveling.
    Where did your son go?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Dana Point,CA
    Posts
    52,759
    Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    Wow, this is weird and scary.

    And on another note not related to this case, someone keeps calling my cell phone and not leaving messages. I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. I checked out the number on google and it wasn't listed but the area code is from Montana! I know no one there. Maybe it's the Egyptian kids.
    oh now that is just plain old skeery.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Tulsa PD Revamps Approach To Missing Persons Cases
    By SeriouslySearching in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 03:54 AM
  2. OK-Police Take New Approach To Missing Persons Cases
    By hoppyfrog in forum Missing Archives
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 04:14 AM
  3. Replies: 87
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 03:32 PM