FBI: Approach Missing Egyptians with Caution

Shadow205

Reaction score
The FBI has issued an urgent nationwide alert for 11 Egyptian students who entered the United States last week but failed to show up for their courses at Montana State University.

An FBI advisory says there are, at present, no known connections to any terrorist group but that the students are to be "approached with caution" and taken into custody. They "are here illegally and wanted for questioning," the advisory says.

The advisory comes just over a month before the five-year anniversary of the September 11 terror attacks on the United States.

"This is of very serious concern and is being closely tracked," said Rep. Peter King (R-NY), Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee.

The FBI says the Egyptians arrived at John F. Kennedy Airport in New York on July 29 and disappeared. The advisory says the alert is nationwide but that there is specific concern the Egyptians may be on the Eastern Seaboard.

According to the advisory the 11 missing Egyptians are: Names are listed at the link http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/08/fbi_approach_mi.html

That's scary! I wonder what they were supposed to be studying in Montana? I imagine they came on student visas and were restricted to only a certain area.

I wonder how they came to be travelling together on the same day to attend the same university?

I am sure there will be some sort of outcry that they are being unfairly targetted just because they are from the middle east. A group of Canadian students, or French students, or any other foreign students, after all, would probably not arouse such concern if they were to disappear. Sadly, this is the state of the world post 9-11....

sandraladeda said:
I wonder how they came to be travelling together on the same day to attend the same university?

I am sure there will be some sort of outcry that they are being unfairly targetted just because they are from the middle east. A group of Canadian students, or French students, or any other foreign students, after all, would probably not arouse such concern if they were to disappear. Sadly, this is the state of the world post 9-11....
My son leaves for a semester at sea in a few weeks. He will go to school on a cruise ship with 700 other students. They will be attending all kinds of programs and classes together, both on and off the ship. I assume these kids were doing something similar as a group.They are to be gone for over 4 months.
my son will go to Egypt, Istanbul, Viet Nam,Croatia, India,Spain, Japan, China and more.
I'm gittin' nervous.

Let's see if I get this. You are scared that the missing students are terrorists or that they have come to harm?

This is to no one poster in particular BTW

windovervocalcords said:
Let's see if I get this. You are scared that the missing students are terrorists or that they have come to harm?

This is to no one poster in particular BTW
You mean me? I am only getting nervous for my son to travel.

ETA: LOL I just read your post again nevermind.:p

JBean said:
You mean me? I am only getting nervous for my son to travel.

ETA: LOL I just read your post again nevermind.:p
I would be nervous about foreign travel these days even though I love it so.

What a great opportunity for mind expansion for your son. May he be safe, yet have adventures and experiences that will broaden his horizon.

windovervocalcords said:
I would be nervous about foreign travel these days even though I love it so.

What a great opportunity for mind expansion for your son. May he be safe, yet have adventures and experiences that will broaden his horizon.
I am nervous about it, but it is a great opportunity.
Thanks for your good thoughts. I appreciate it.

Traveling in a group is generally safer. What kind of student group is this? What are they studying?

windovervocalcords said:
Traveling in a group is generally safer. What kind of student group is this? What are they studying?
He will be taking regular classes that are transferable to San Diego State where he is seeking his degree.

Semester at Sea adds a global semester to your undergraduate experience. The shipboard curriculum will give you insights into various cultures and societies and teach you to analyze those you observe and encounter. These intellectual tools will stay with you for life, allowing you to understand new places and to relate past experiences to future situations.

Classes meet daily while at sea, so classroom contact resembles that on a traditional land campus. Most Semester at Sea classes average between 20 and 30 students and emphasize maximum student involvement. During the 100-day fall and spring semesters, the minimum required academic load is 12 credit hours (four courses). For the 65-day summer program, the minimum course load is 9 credits (three courses).

Outside the classroom, the shipboard setting and the time you will have in each country will foster close relationships between you and the faculty that are not possible on your home campus. Since most of your professors will have lived or traveled in countries on the itinerary, you will benefit from their experiences. You will be better prepared, both personally and academically, to understand and explore new cultures as the ship moves from one country to another.

Wow, this is weird and scary.

And on another note not related to this case, someone keeps calling my cell phone and not leaving messages. I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. I checked out the number on google and it wasn't listed but the area code is from Montana! I know no one there. :p Maybe it's the Egyptian kids.

JBean said:
My son leaves for a semester at sea in a few weeks. He will go to school on a cruise ship with 700 other students. They will be attending all kinds of programs and classes together, both on and off the ship. I assume these kids were doing something similar as a group.They are to be gone for over 4 months.
my son will go to Egypt, Istanbul, Viet Nam,Croatia, India,Spain, Japan, China and more.
I'm gittin' nervous.
JBean, this sounds like a wonderful and exciting experience for your son! But I can understand you getting nervous. I was the same way last fall when my son spent 6 weeks out of the country.

Maral said:
JBean, this sounds like a wonderful and exciting experience for your son! But I can understand you getting nervous. I was the same way last fall when my son spent 6 weeks out of the country.
It'll be a little over 4 months and the reality of it is, I have never been away from any of my children for that long. they all went to college nearby and are living nearby, so I see them all the time.
I am excited for him, but I am very nervous..it is a funky time to be traveling.
Where did your son go?

PrayersForMaura said:
Wow, this is weird and scary.

And on another note not related to this case, someone keeps calling my cell phone and not leaving messages. I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number. I checked out the number on google and it wasn't listed but the area code is from Montana! I know no one there. :p Maybe it's the Egyptian kids.
oh now that is just plain old skeery.

sandraladeda said:
:eek: OMG, Maura! Do you think the 2 cases are related? :D ;) :angel:
LOL.... yeah, they must be related, they have the same geographic location!!!
:p

I honestly don't know who keeps calling. My boyfriend says just call the number back. I said no, what if it is someone I don't want to talk to... some old flame or something ... or worse, a salesman :doh:
I am getting SALES CALLS on my cell phone now... just yesterday from an 888 area code "you've won a fabulous vaction". Yeah right I did, and don't call my cell phone ever again! You're wasting my minutes!!!! :p

It is an student exchange program with an Egyptian University that lasts for 30 days. They learn English as a second language, US History, Montana history and also that of the Great Northwest. Then they take little trips off campus, like for instance they are going to the Yellowstone National Park in a few days to learn about and see it.

So it is a learning experience for language, history and also the cultural aspects of Montana and the United States in General.

Noiw to all you Steve Martin fans out there, don't go out anywhere acting and speaking like an Egyptian! Baa Haa Haa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :p

Scandi

They were to study english, the same as the 9/11 hijacker who flew the plane into the Pentagon was supposed to before also "disappearing" upon arrival to the U.S.

scandi said:
It is an student exchange program with an Egyptian University that lasts for 30 days. They learn English as a second language, US History, Montana history and also that of the Great Northwest. Then they take little trips off campus, like for instance they are going to the Yellowstone National Park in a few days to learn about and see it.

So it is a learning experience for language, history and also the cultural aspects of Montana and the United States in General.

Noiw to all you Steve Martin fans out there, don't go out anywhere acting and speaking like an Egyptian! Baa Haa Haa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :p

Scandi
I now have a combo of the Bangles' "Walk Like An Egyptian" and Martin's "King Tut" stuck in my head, thanks, LOL! :slap:

Dark Knight said:
They were to study english, the same as the 9/11 hijacker who flew the plane into the Pentagon was supposed to before also "disappearing" upon arrival to the U.S.

I had a man ask me today if I spoke spanish. Of course, it wasn't that clear.When I said no he became exasperated. I was a little taken aback. He acted like I was the faulty one in my environment. I explained some of the workers could speak spanish and he left but I am still thinking about this.

Where does he get off blaming me or acting exasperated because I don't speak spanish. I get by with french but this is an english speaking country.Notice I didn't cap any country. Our country is a little too free in inviting or allowing foreigners to reside under a false premise.

The egyptians may have little or nothing to do with harm to Americans but the fact that they disappeared should be a huge concern.

We are becoming a nation of too politically correct under the guise of ineptitude by certain officials.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back