Separated Twins doing well

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
Posted on Wed, Aug. 09, 2006

"I got tears in my eyes, because they looked so good," a surgeon said. But the girls have a long way to go.

By Jennifer Dobner
Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY - Swathed in gauze, twin sisters Kendra and Maliyah Herrin were rolled from the operating room and moved to separate beds for the first time yesterday after 26 hours of surgery in which doctors separated the 4-year-olds and reconstructed their internal organs.
~snip~

The girls had been born in a perpetual hug, their little bodies fused at the midsection so that they were practically face-to-face. They shared a liver, a kidney, a pelvis, one set of legs, and part of their intestines.
~snip~

The operation was believed to be the first time surgeons separated conjoined twins with a shared kidney, said Rebecka Meyers, chief pediatric surgeon at Primary Children's Medical Center.

Matlak was the first to cradle Kendra after separation, lifting her gently from the operating table to move her to another room for reconstruction surgery.

"It was a great moment," Matlak said. "In one sense, she was mine."

-> more at link:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/living/health/15228971.htm

----------------------------------

I love this Dr. Matlak, especially his comment stating, "In one sense, she was mine." That says a lot to me about him. :)

The Herrin have their work cut out for them with a 6-year-old daughter and twin 14-month-old boys, besides the twin girls that were just separated!

God bless them one and all!

The family is posting Web updates at http://www.herrintwins.com

Did anyone here catch the segment on these separated twins on 20/20 tonight? AMAZING!!!

Liz said:
Did anyone here catch the segment on these separated twins on 20/20 tonight? AMAZING!!!

Unfortunately, I missed it. Did they have un update on their condition?

Mabel said:
Unfortunately, I missed it. Did they have un update on their condition?

Oh, I'm sorry you missed it Mabel! There was not really any update other than they have a long road ahead of them. Those little girls, Kendra and Maliyah, are truly beautiful and adorable, inside and out. Smart as little whips! I found it incredulous the way they were able to adapt to the many challenges they faced in their daily lives, as conjoined twins; and they pulled it off with what seemed like ease. They absolutely melted my heart and I fell in love with them immediately!

As you probably know, they were essentially one child from the waist down and two from the waist up. 10 surgeons and 26 hours or surgery they endured!

I pray that their recovery from surgery, is as impressive as the way they have conquered all the obstacles they've faced in their lives thus far!

They truly epitomize "MIRACULOUS" & "AMAZING"!

Liz said:
Oh, I'm sorry you missed it Mabel! There was not really any update other than they have a long road ahead of them. Those little girls, Kendra and Maliyah, are truly beautiful and adorable, inside and out. Smart as little whips! I found it incredulous the way they were able to adapt to the many challenges they faced in their daily lives, as conjoined twins; and they pulled it off with what seemed like ease. They absolutely melted my heart and I fell in love with them immediately!

As you probably know, they were essentially one child from the waist down and two from the waist up. 10 surgeons and 26 hours or surgery they endured!

I pray that their recovery from surgery, is as impressive as the way they have conquered all the obstacles they've faced in their lives thus far!

Even my dear hubby who doesn't usually watch emotional stories like this, was completely involved in watching this with me!

We were both in awe and in tears over these precious little girls and their parents. They are utterly amazing.

A true miracle! :angel:

mfmangel1 said:
Even my dear hubby who doesn't usually watch emotional stories like this, was completely involved in watching this with me!

We were both in awe and in tears over these precious little girls and their parents. They are utterly amazing.

A true miracle! :angel:

Exact same here with the hubby ( after I told him he just had to see these girls!) and the tears!

Yes indeed, truly little miracle twin :angel:s!

Mom and Dad were pretty darn impressive, too, at least we thought so.

Twins Breathing on Own After Separation

By JENNIFER DOBNER
The Associated Press
Saturday, August 12, 2006; 9:33 PM

SALT LAKE CITY -- Conjoined twins separated during a 26-hour surgery were breathing on their own Saturday, a milestone just days after the operation.

Kendra and Maliyah Herrin, 4, were removed from ventilators about 3:45 p.m., said Primary Children's Medical Center spokeswoman Laura Winder, who called it "wonderful progress."

Dr. Rebecka Meyers, chief pediatric surgeon at Primary Children's Medical Center who coordinated the separation of 4-year-old conjoined twins Kendra and Maliyah Herrin that began Monday morning and concluded Tuesday, talks at a news confer

--> more:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/12/AR2006081201025.html

Sounds like they're doing great thus far! :) If you are inclined, please pray they keep improving daily!

You can read more updates at their family website
http://www.herrintwins.com

Liz said:

Liz, what a great post. I heard about the story, but didn't see the show about it either. Your description is fantastic. Please update us if you hear anything else!!

My prayers have been with the twins.May God grant them a beautiful recovery.

There will be an update right after the commercial break on the Herrin Twins!

Tune in NOW on the east coast! :)

thanks for that link---we saw the story before the operation--glad to see an update on them--they are both so cute--let's hear it for the surgeons!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back