775 users online (102 members and 673 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WV - Kathleen Atkins killed by sex offender, Dale S O'Neil

LEROY. WV, MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER
    Deputies Allege Dale O'Neil Killed Hours After Leaving Jail

Thirty-eight-year-old O'Neil is charged with the murder of 43-year-old Kathleen Atkins.

Police say O'Neil has a history as a violent sexual offender.

<snip>
    A shocked family is preparing to bury Kathleen Atkins.

The Cross Lanes woman was beaten to death and her nude body dumped in Jackson County. Atkins was the mother of three boys.

The family is angry because O'Neil was released from jail after a technical flaw in his indictment to failure to register as a sex offender caused the charge to be dismissed last week. O'Neil spend 18 years in prison for raping and kidnapping a Dunbar teen in 1987.

Virginia Johnston, victim's sister: "To mutilate her like that, he shouldn't have been on the streets.

more at the link http://wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitnes...060802-1.shtml

Here is the link to O'Neils listing on the WV sex offender registry http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/...ffenderID=2988
    Retired 08/03/03

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    When will the judical system be changed to reflect what we already know....you cannot rehab these things.

You are so right curious1. This man should never have been released.
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205
    LEROY. WV, MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER
    Deputies Allege Dale O'Neil Killed Hours After Leaving Jail

Thirty-eight-year-old O'Neil is charged with the murder of 43-year-old Kathleen Atkins.

Police say O'Neil has a history as a violent sexual offender.

<snip>
    A shocked family is preparing to bury Kathleen Atkins.

The Cross Lanes woman was beaten to death and her nude body dumped in Jackson County. Atkins was the mother of three boys.

The family is angry because O'Neil was released from jail after a technical flaw in his indictment to failure to register as a sex offender caused the charge to be dismissed last week. O'Neil spend 18 years in prison for raping and kidnapping a Dunbar teen in 1987.

Virginia Johnston, victim's sister: "To mutilate her like that, he shouldn't have been on the streets.

more at the link http://wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitnes...060802-1.shtml

Here is the link to O'Neils listing on the WV sex offender registry http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/...ffenderID=2988
    Technical flaw!! He failed to register which was a condituion of his release I am guessing. So what can be technical about that? The only excuse for not registering is so they can go un-noticed and fly under LE radar. So why can't the justice system just throw away the friggin key already?

My view is once a SO always an SO. I don't believe they can be rehabilitated; I think they just get smarter and sneakier. Not all the therapy in the world can help someone who won't help him/herself. But then I could be wrong...anyone know of a "cured" sex offender?

I pray for her 3 sons, how sad they must be.

cathieq,

I don't know if you made the connection or not. This is the body that was found and at first thought to be Melanie Metheny which you statred the thread on in missing http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41360
    Retired 08/03/03

This death is at the hands of the idiots who let this person out. Technicality my ass. I would have said "too damn bad." The family of this mother should sue the state.

Police allege man killed woman, then updated sex offender registry

The man accused of bludgeoning a Cross Lanes woman and dumping her body near a logging trail in Jackson County updated his sex offender registry with State Police shortly after the killing, authorities said.

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Bright said investigators believe Dale Shawnessy O'Neil killed Kathleen Atkins between 10 a.m. and noon July 26. Bright said O'Neil then drove to the Ripley State Police detachment in the dead woman' car about noon to update his registry.

<snip>

Loggers working near Big Run Road in the eastern part of the county found Atkins' nude body last Friday afternoon. Bright said a trooper who responded to the call spoke with O'Neil while he walked by the crime scene between 5 and 5:15 p.m. The two had a brief conversation and O'Neil left the area by foot.

more at the link http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2006080441/
    Retired 08/03/03

quote:/ ...Jackson County Sheriff Mike Bright said investigators believe Dale Shawnessy O'Neil killed Kathleen Atkins between 10 a.m. and noon July 26. Bright said O'Neil then drove to the Ripley State Police detachment in the dead woman' car about noon to update his registry... /endquote

How thoughtful of the guy...and this:

“I will not lie to you, prison was making me hate other people and when I found God all that hate turned to love,” Dale Shawnessy ONeil wrote to former ...

and the paper is subscription only so I didn't get the rest. I don't know about this guy but my belief is that "my" God is a vengeful God...and I firmly believe that if I'm fed up and angry then God is more fed up and more angry. I suppose the only thing that keeps this "on-the-verge-on-becoming-a-vigilante" in check is my religion. Looks like I'd better start praying because I'm really, really angry.

Shadow205: No, I hadn't made the connection...Thanks.

This guy has big b@lls if you ask me. He drives her car to the police station to register. Then he goes to the crime scene and walks by it and even stops and talks to a policeman Sounds like a "in your face" attitude to me.

So glad that he got caught. He must not have thought prison was so bad or he would have stayed away from crime. They better lock him up for life this time.

Yep, this is exactly what we have been screaming about for so long. We need one law on this...one strike and you are out...that is it. The only cure for these perverts in a shot to the head or cut off their hands, tongue, and privates.

Quote Originally Posted by cathieq
    My view is once a SO always an SO. I don't believe they can be rehabilitated; I think they just get smarter and sneakier. Not all the therapy in the world can help someone who won't help him/herself. But then I could be wrong...anyone know of a "cured" sex offender?
    Yes ...a cured sex offender = a dead sex offender.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo
    Yes ...a cured sex offender = a dead sex offender.

Amen, amen, and Amen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LButler
    Amen, amen, and Amen!!!
    Thats the only therapy they deserve

Why didn't he get LWOP for his first murder? 18 years for raping and killing a teenager???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast