GUILTY WV - Kathleen Atkins, 43, killed by hitchhiker, Cross Lanes, 25 July 2006

Shadow205

Reaction score
LEROY. WV, MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER
Deputies Allege Dale O'Neil Killed Hours After Leaving Jail

Thirty-eight-year-old O'Neil is charged with the murder of 43-year-old Kathleen Atkins.

Police say O'Neil has a history as a violent sexual offender.

<snip>
A shocked family is preparing to bury Kathleen Atkins.

The Cross Lanes woman was beaten to death and her nude body dumped in Jackson County. Atkins was the mother of three boys.

The family is angry because O'Neil was released from jail after a technical flaw in his indictment to failure to register as a sex offender caused the charge to be dismissed last week. O'Neil spend 18 years in prison for raping and kidnapping a Dunbar teen in 1987.

Virginia Johnston, victim's sister: "To mutilate her like that, he shouldn't have been on the streets.

more at the link http://wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/0608/060802-1.shtml

Here is the link to O'Neils listing on the WV sex offender registry http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/WebDetails.cfm?OffenderID=2988

When will the judical system be changed to reflect what we already know....you cannot rehab these things. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You are so right curious1. This man should never have been released.

Shadow205 said:
LEROY. WV, MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER
Deputies Allege Dale O'Neil Killed Hours After Leaving Jail

Thirty-eight-year-old O'Neil is charged with the murder of 43-year-old Kathleen Atkins.

Police say O'Neil has a history as a violent sexual offender.

<snip>
A shocked family is preparing to bury Kathleen Atkins.

The Cross Lanes woman was beaten to death and her nude body dumped in Jackson County. Atkins was the mother of three boys.

The family is angry because O'Neil was released from jail after a technical flaw in his indictment to failure to register as a sex offender caused the charge to be dismissed last week. O'Neil spend 18 years in prison for raping and kidnapping a Dunbar teen in 1987.

Virginia Johnston, victim's sister: "To mutilate her like that, he shouldn't have been on the streets.

more at the link http://wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/0608/060802-1.shtml

Here is the link to O'Neils listing on the WV sex offender registry http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/WebDetails.cfm?OffenderID=2988http://www.wvstatepolice.com/sexoff/WebDetails.cfm?OffenderID=2988
Technical flaw!! He failed to register which was a condituion of his release I am guessing. So what can be technical about that? The only excuse for not registering is so they can go un-noticed and fly under LE radar. So why can't the justice system just throw away the friggin key already?

My view is once a SO always an SO. I don't believe they can be rehabilitated; I think they just get smarter and sneakier. Not all the therapy in the world can help someone who won't help him/herself. But then I could be wrong...anyone know of a "cured" sex offender?

This death is at the hands of the idiots who let this person out. Technicality my *advertiser censored*. I would have said "too damn bad." The family of this mother should sue the state.

The man accused of bludgeoning a Cross Lanes woman and dumping her body near a logging trail in Jackson County updated his sex offender registry with State Police shortly after the killing, authorities said.

Jackson County Sheriff Mike Bright said investigators believe Dale Shawnessy O'Neil killed Kathleen Atkins between 10 a.m. and noon July 26. Bright said O'Neil then drove to the Ripley State Police detachment in the dead woman' car about noon to update his registry.

<snip>

Loggers working near Big Run Road in the eastern part of the county found Atkins' nude body last Friday afternoon. Bright said a trooper who responded to the call spoke with O'Neil while he walked by the crime scene between 5 and 5:15 p.m. The two had a brief conversation and O'Neil left the area by foot.

more at the link http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2006080441/

quote:/ ...Jackson County Sheriff Mike Bright said investigators believe Dale Shawnessy O'Neil killed Kathleen Atkins between 10 a.m. and noon July 26. Bright said O'Neil then drove to the Ripley State Police detachment in the dead woman' car about noon to update his registry... /endquote

How thoughtful of the guy...and this:

“I will not lie to you, prison was making me hate other people and when I found God all that hate turned to love,” Dale Shawnessy O’Neil wrote to former ...

and the paper is subscription only so I didn't get the rest. I don't know about this guy but my belief is that "my" God is a vengeful God...and I firmly believe that if I'm fed up and angry then God is more fed up and more angry. I suppose the only thing that keeps this "on-the-verge-on-becoming-a-vigilante" in check is my religion. Looks like I'd better start praying because I'm really, really angry.

Shadow205: No, I hadn't made the connection...Thanks.

This guy has big b@lls if you ask me. He drives her car to the police station to register. Then he goes to the crime scene and walks by it and even stops and talks to a policeman :furious: Sounds like a "in your face" attitude to me.

So glad that he got caught. He must not have thought prison was so bad or he would have stayed away from crime. They better lock him up for life this time.

Yep, this is exactly what we have been screaming about for so long. We need one law on this...one strike and you are out...that is it. The only cure for these perverts in a shot to the head or cut off their hands, tongue, and privates.

cathieq said:
My view is once a SO always an SO. I don't believe they can be rehabilitated; I think they just get smarter and sneakier. Not all the therapy in the world can help someone who won't help him/herself. But then I could be wrong...anyone know of a "cured" sex offender?
Yes ...a cured sex offender = a dead sex offender.

Mabel said:
Why didn't he get LWOP for his first murder? 18 years for raping and killing a teenager???
Hi Mabel,
I believe his first known victim survived the vicious attack, she was left for dead but miraculously survived....

"The 1987 incident occurred near Barlow and Twilight drives along the Elk River in Charleston in May. O’Neil raped, beat, stabbed and robbed his 18-year-old victim.

While raping the teen, O’Neil cut her neck and wrist. The victim testified she believed he was preparing to kill her."

more about the sentencing here

It appears that Dale S. O'Neil was sentenced to LWOP on 8/31/2007. He is housed at the Northern Correctional Center.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back