MD MD - Jonathan Luna, 38, Baltimore, 4 December 2003

This is just awful!!! I couldn't believe it when I heard about this. While I was watching Greta last night they said that he got a call at midnight and left the house. I am sure that the phone call has something to do with his death.

So sad.:(

According to the latest in the Washington Post, Luna was NOT shot. He was stabbed numerous times, and according to the coroner, the cause of death was stab wounds and drowning.

He had left the office and was heading home just before midnight, not the other way around.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38782-2003Dec5.html

I have a friend at Arnold & Porter, Luna's old firm, and I think I may have actually met him at one of her parties, but it would have been years ago. I certainly cannot say that I actually knew Jonathan Luna other than in passing. I feel terrible for his family and his friends.

Jonathan Luna. That is his name. Isn't anyone outraged about this? A prosecuter trying to put scumbags behind bars is brutally stabbed and dumped in the water where he drowned. Hideous.
Misty

Assistant U.S. Attorney Jonathan P. Luna (search) was "brutalized with multiple stab wounds" and left to drown in the Pennsylvania creek where his body was found, a coroner said Friday
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104963,00.html

was this rapper involved? or was it a previous criminal? Hopefully there is some evidence.

yes, I am outraged...by this, and many other acts.

I have no doubt they will catch the perp(s) who committed this hideous crime. This victim was one of the truly good guys out there!

A terrible loss of life!!!
We often forget how many people are out there putting their life on the line to protect society.
I hope the guilty are found soon!

Reports in the Washington Post today say they are looking into Luna's personal life as well as his professional life. Apparently he had made previous trips toPennsylvania, although for what reason it not known.

I doubt it was really this Jonathan Luna on a sex website. He would not have used his real name! And since his credit card was used at a mall hours after his death, we know that robbery was at least a partial motive.

This is odd - one news story says there were almost no defensive wounds, suggesting more than one assailant, another story said Luna fought for his life, that he had many defensive wounds. News stories also say he left his glasses and cell phone on his desk, suggesting that he planned to return to his office. So, was he forced to go to his car, abducted while still in his office buidling? Lured to his car somehow? Lured outside then forced to take his car out of the parking garage?

We definitely have a fascinating murder mystery here.

My question is-how can we even get a handle on the
timeline when there are so many conflicting reports?
In the above links-

One says "Luna left his Baltimore home just before
midnight after getting a mysterious call on his cell phone."

Another says "Luna left his home early in the evening and
went back to his office to work on papers in the plea
bargain. He was there until around midnight."

Confusion right from the start!

The reliable papers - Washington Post, etc., put Luna in his office, leaving there sometime before midnight, driving alone toward PA, passing through an EX Pass on a highway in Delaware heading north toward PA. He withdrew cash from an ATM and got gas and was acting normally - not under duress - during those transactions. He was filmed by a camera at the ATM machine. A gas station attendant did not notice anyone with him, but also did not look directly into the car.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47733-2003Dec8.html

>>Luna left the Baltimore federal courthouse about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday in his silver Honda Accord. Sometime after midnight, he was recorded by an ATM camera in Newark, Del., and seemed to be acting normally as he withdrew money, a law enforcement official said.

A couple of hours later, it appeared to a worker that Luna was alone when he got out of his car at a gas station in King of Prussia, Pa., law enforcement sources said. <<

Luna left his glasses and cell phone in his office. No one knows why. Cell phone equipment (I assume a charger and the handsfree device) were found in his car, but not the phone itself.

The FBI website has a photo of Luna's car.

http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/seekinfo/luna.htm

BTW, another Assistant United States Attorney was mysteriously murdered a two years ago - Thomas Wales, shot in his home in Seattle on October 11, 2001.

http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/seekinfo/wales.htm

Thanks for the clarification on the time.

It is interesting to learn that he was acting normally-
"not under duress" as he withdrew cash
and got gas on his way to Lancaster.

It sounds like he was heading there to meet
someone not knowing what terrible fate was
to befall him when he arrived.

From what I have read, I agree that he was going to meet someone. Perhaps, he withdrew cash to pay for a sexual rendezvous.

Do you think that he was set up by a woman who he had met before? Could she have been married? Perhaps, her husband/boyfriend forced her to call him and arrange a meeting. When he arrived, he was ambushed. It has been reported that his genitals were severely damaged. Sounds like another guy would do this, don't you think?

Whoever did this murder had an intense
hatred of Luna for some reason-It was up
close, personal and fierce!

It wasn't done just to get him out of the way.
This could have been accomplished by one
shot to the head.

If it's true about the genital injuries,
it would seem the motive had to do with
Luna's sexual activities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads