Liquids Banned in Carry-On Plane Luggage

My title clerk here at work took her granddaughter to Phoenix this morning at about 7 am.

She flew out of Denver. The airport had already clamped down and they took her toothpaste.

I will be happy to check my bags and limit my carry on to a paperback book and my purse. In fact, the more I think about it, walking around the airport waiting to board, loaded down with carry on is a real pain in the butt.

I know this is a hassle and I feel for those that were trying to fly today.

But I will gladly do whatever to cooperate and hope that everyone else does too. The thought of being on a plane with terrorists frightens me to where I hate flying anymore.

Dh's company decided to rent him a car instead of him having to go through all that stuff thank goodness.

Hey, we could start a disposable clothing line...we'd be rich!

You know, I've already been going through a pretty rough depression period (I have major recurring depression), but this latest thing really has me down. My step daughter is due to give birth any day (Tuesday was her due date) and I keep thinking how can anyone bring a child into this horrible world? No, I'm not saying people shouldn't, but if I was young enough to have a child, I just don't think I could do that. Part of me just wants to crawl in bed, pull the covers up and stay there.

Okay and I have to add some humor - I keep hearing folks flipping out about not being able to take shampoos and such on board and I think "where the heck are you going that there won't be any grocery stores, pharmacies or department stores that sell that sort of stuff?!" I know it's a pain to have to get stuff when you arrive, but aside from those flying today, now everyone should know they'll need to either put it in the big bags or just know you have to shop when you arrive.

Oh Malapoo, I'm so sorry to hear you are blue. Maybe something that would make you think only about the happy things in life is to concentrate on your new little grandbaby when she comes and try to just help her along in every way you can as she grows up. I think its a girl LOL, but maybe a boy.

I learned a little secret that helps me along in life. If I notice or see or have the opportunity to read about something that is depressing or simply awful, I skirt it and don't let it clog up my brain. I read that here on the forum once, that if you clog you brain with unnecessary 'garbage' it hurts your ability to think properly. So like when I go to new posts and see threads about outlandish things - like finding a dead baby in a bag - I skip it as I don't even want to know about it. You have to decide what is garbage to you and what isn't.

Actually I think I learned that from Gabby!

Keep in touch Scandi

ETA: Eegaads What I meant to say is that I would feel so terrible about a little baby that had been smothered in a bag and left to die that I would think about it a lot if I read news of it. So then I place that in a 'garbage' category to not read so my brain will not be cluttered.

Malapoo said:
You know, I've already been going through a pretty rough depression period (I have major recurring depression), but this latest thing really has me down. My step daughter is due to give birth any day (Tuesday was her due date) and I keep thinking how can anyone bring a child into this horrible world? No, I'm not saying people shouldn't, but if I was young enough to have a child, I just don't think I could do that. Part of me just wants to crawl in bed, pull the covers up and stay there.

Okay and I have to add some humor - I keep hearing folks flipping out about not being able to take shampoos and such on board and I think "where the heck are you going that there won't be any grocery stores, pharmacies or department stores that sell that sort of stuff?!" I know it's a pain to have to get stuff when you arrive, but aside from those flying today, now everyone should know they'll need to either put it in the big bags or just know you have to shop when you arrive.
Malapoo, don't let life get you down. I'm sure our parents, grandparents, etc thought the world was coming to an end during the World Wars and the Great Depression.

As to the humor, you're right. If you're going to a hotel, then use the shampoo they supply instead of slipping it into your luggage to take home. And folks, don't tell me you've never done it, I know better. Anything else, pack it in your checked luggage, it won't hurt to walk a little to get your baggage. I see so many people loaded down with carry on bags struggling at the carousel to get the rest. Once they think about it, they'd probably be relieved to pack it all and lighten the load.

My problem is the no electronic devices allowed thing. I read on another board that this was also occurring. So, how can you take your laptop, phone, digital camera with you on vacations/business then? They'd break those or maybe even steal from you if you put that in the checked luggage.

I need my iPod to drown out the loud children that are ALWAYS on my flights. I can't stand loud crying.

They just showed a little diarama about the liquids being used as bombs that explained how they do it.

They either mix the liquids in a bottle before hand {when the one part is a gel, and then shake it right before it is used} or mix the liquids once they are on the plane.

Then you hold that bottle with the mixture in one hand and hold up a cell phone to it with the other. I'm sure you have to press a button to activate the phone, but that's all she wrote.

The gentleman said they don't need a very powerful force as all they have to do is blow a small hole in the skin of the plane. This causes decompression which leads to the pilot loosing control of the plane and then to the plane breaking up.

Scandi

my husband works in london 3 weeks, then here with me in louisiana a week. he called this morning, and after reassuring me for an hour, he joked about it. he said he be just as happy not to have to bring anything.

i do know they are very long flights, so he will 'suffer' a bit. he doesnt have a problem with that, as long as he has a book and plenty of pepsi, hes happy. he usually drags a ton of stuff back and forth.

hes coming home saturday, we shall see how it goes. hope they serve pepsi onboard LOL

anthrobones said:
My problem is the no electronic devices allowed thing. I read on another board that this was also occurring. So, how can you take your laptop, phone, digital camera with you on vacations/business then? They'd break those or maybe even steal from you if you put that in the checked luggage.

New TSA Carry-On Baggage Rules

Effective Thursday, Aug. 10, travelers are no longer allowed to bring the following items on board the airliner:
--All liquids of any kind, including drinks
--Gels
--Lotions and creams, including hand lotion and sunscreen
--Contacts may be brought on board in their cases, but the cases cannot contain liquid.
--Hairspray
--Toothpaste
--Shampoo and conditioner
--Liquid makeup
--Perfume
--Anything else that has a liquid or gel-like consistency.

If you bring any of these items through airport security, TSA agents will confiscate them from your carry-on luggage; however, you may still place them in checked luggage. Some exceptions are granted for passengers traveling with an infant or small child. Baby formula, juice, bottled breast milk and baby food are allowed, but they will be tested by the TSA to ensure they are not explosives. Prescription drugs, insulin and some nonprescription medication are also allowed with proper identification. The new procedures cover all flights, both international and domestic. Currently, laptop computers, cell phones and other electronic devices are allowed, but that is subject to change.

Malapoo said:

People probably said/felt the same thing about the world in 1943. The wheels keep on turning, though.

And, yeah, I would think most people can find a drug store once you get to where they're going to replace their shampoos, lotions, etc. As it is, I alwyas pack that crap in my checked bag anyway.

I read this and the first thing I thought of is what if you have an infant??

Are you going to refuse feeding yur baby during a flight over this??

Amraann said:
I read this and the first thing I thought of is what if you have an infant??

Are you going to refuse feeding yur baby during a flight over this??
You can bring the bottles of formula on if you test drink it in front of TSA first.
Or you could breast feed.
Edited to add: Maybe this will cut down on the screaming babies on flights.

Ok so when you throw up from the nasty taste they will assume its toxic??

Malapoo, I'm sorry about your recurring depressive episodes. I have that, too.

What I find most alarming about today's events is my underlying feeling that there really isn't anything we can do to stop all of this terrorism. Who, in their right mind, would have concocted a plan to disguise a bomb in a soda bottle and detonate it with a disposable camera? Certainly not me! So this plan has now been eliminated, along with most reasonable carry-on luggage... but these terrorists will just to Plan C, or Plan D. Their minds don't work like our's. Remember the man who was arrested because he was about to light a match on the bottom of his shoe? These people will just keep plotting and planning until they find another avenue for success. They won't stop, and while we can stop some of them, we can't stop all of them. It's very scary, IMO.

I'm flying to CA Saturday morning. I'll be printing out the current carry-on banned list tomorrow. Glad I wasn't one of the unfortuate ones that were traveling today. By Saturday, the system should be working in place and hopefully most people will have packed accordingly. Of course, there's always a few :banghead:

And although security lines may take longer, it's a small price to pay, IMO. It'll be different, but I traveled a lot right after 9/11 as well; just a process we have to go through.

Wouldn't the contacts be ruined if they are in a case without liquid?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back