Woman comes home to find house cleaned

gidget641

Trust me I am not a people person
Reaction score
NOW WHY CAN'T THIS EVER HAPPEN TO ME???

Woman comes home to find house cleaned

August 11, 2006 (CHARLESTON, W.Va.) - When Debbie Phillips tried to report a crime, police just snickered. "I told him that someone came into my house and cleaned," the president of the Putnam County School Board said. "He just laughed."

The problem wasn't that her home smelled a little fresher or looked a little tidier. The problem was that Phillips had no idea who the mystery cleaner was.

Her husband denied cleaning up the joint. So did her next-door neighbor. Everyone she asked denied responsibility.

more at link ABC7CHICAGO.COM

When they find the culprit, could you please ask them to come visit me. I have plenty of home for them to clean!!!

I don't have a whole lotta house (just 1,660 sq. ft) but I have a teenager, a toddler and hubby which = a whole lotta cleanin up after.

so I promise if they clean my house I WON'T call the cops! LOL

This is so funny.....but it should make everyone aware that people know where to find the keys you hide outside even if you don't tell them.......

Ya those fake rocks sure aren't obvious. So many rocks I have seen have words put on them lol.

For those of you who just gotta clean, my address is..................:D

yeh the fake rocks are sooo obvious to everyone...except the people who you want to know about them...

About Two years ago my Brother in law and sister in law had Grandma and Grandpa coming over to Baby sit. They told them to let themselves in with the extra key that was in the key rock by the bushes to the right of the front door. (The baby was with my DH) The baby would be dropped off shortly.

Well the outlaws could not find the key so they call ME at work (not their son or daughter in law) I try to explain exactly what it looks like with no luck. My DH shows up baby in tow and gets on the phone with me and he just is not understanding what to look for. The neighborhood delinquent happens by just then...AND SHOWS THEM WHERE THE KEY IS!!!

We now all have keys to each others homes and no key rocks!

I can understand that this is "a hoot", but I would be un nerved if I came home and knew that someone came in and cleaned and I had no idea who had access to my house or why they "decided" to do me a favour.

Sound like a relative or something........

If you click on the link it says that the neighbor across the street hired a cleaning lady and she went to there house instead and cleaned it....

Why can't I have someone mistakenly clean my house....lol

They found out what happend when the person in question showed up a second time. A neighbor with a similar address and a key hidden in pretty much the same spot had hired a cleaning lady and she had gone to the wrong address. :)

CyberLaw said:
I can understand that this is "a hoot", but I would be un nerved if I came home and knew that someone came in and cleaned and I had no idea who had access to my house or why they "decided" to do me a favour.

Sound like a relative or something........

I would have been unnerved also, however, all is explained at the link. turns out it was the wrong house the cleaning lady went to, but the key was left in a similar place. :warning:!!!

this cleaning lady wasn't to know she was in the wrong house. a mistake had been made and, apparently, the house she let herself into needed cleaning. which she duly did. bless.

i hope the wrong-house lady was satisfied with the work and considers employing the cleaning lady - as i would imagine she lost her job with the person who originally hired her to clean their home because that person must not have thought an awful lot of the cleaning lady's work! :(

and consequently would very reasonably not have paid her - we all know that there would have been a need for payment for the work as far as the cleaning lady was concerned and i hope it didn't bite her too deep to miss out.

curious1 said:
They found out what happend when the person in question showed up a second time. A neighbor with a similar address and a key hidden in pretty much the same spot had hired a cleaning lady and she had gone to the wrong address. :)

I wonder if she's gonna have to pay? :D

Jeana (DP) said:
I wonder if she's gonna have to pay? :D

See my post above!

morally - i feel so. because, let's be realistic here: people who do cleaning jobs do it for the money and certainly not the love.

it's just fair to be paid for work. and mayber this lady really helped out fantastically.

realisticall as to being paid for her work? doubt it. but hope she will further be employed.

mindi77 said:
If you click on the link it says that the neighbor across the street hired a cleaning lady and she went to there house instead and cleaned it....

Why can't I have someone mistakenly clean my house....lol

I would be thrilled if this happened to me! LOL.

True, I hope the women does the right thing(not enough people do) and pay for the service that the cleaning lady provided.

CyberLaw said:
True, I hope the women does the right thing(not enough people do) and pay for the service that the cleaning lady provided.
When I read "do the right thing" why did I immediately think she ate the food and drank the wine? ha ha

Just curious... why would that be "the right thing"? This lady did not ask for her house to be cleaned. The cleaning lady made the mistake of going to the wrong house and cleaning it. While I understand she still did provide a service, it was her error in going to the wrong house. If the lady whose house was cleaned did not ask for the service, she should not have to pay for it. While I agree that it would be nice if she did offer to pay something, I don't feel that she is obligated to do so.

Just wondering....

I may be able to argue "unjust enrichment", but I would have to look into how that applies in the "State Law"and under which area of law.

In a nutshell, an unrequested benefit........I won't bore you with the details.

But getting aside from the legal aspect.

It is the right thing to do, because it is "ethical"

Some people have a "strong" ethical sense and can look at a situation and know that it would be wrong to not pay for the services rendered as these services were not done on speculation, but work for compensatory pay.

You may (I am being polite) be seen as "exploiting" another person mistake. I just don't have that in me to do that. Taking "advantage of anohter person.

It is not like she intended to work for free. She received a "service" as opposed to goods. You can return goods, but not a service.

Also, I am sure, probably more then sure that this women cleaned this house to pay her rent, feed her kids and earn a living. It is not like she is working in a comfy office.

So the women who owns the house, who came home to a nice clean house, who probably makes more money because she is not a "maid" can pay her her full pay or "comprimise" a payment and argue that even though she did not ask her to clean her house, she benefited from your "free" labour so here is some money to help support your family.

I could probably take this into court and win.......because "labour" was involved.

80% of pay would be acceptable, I may go to 75%. It was an "honest" mistake, but again a mistake none the less. So that is where the 20% to 25% comes in to play.

God i wish I could come home and find someone else had cleaned my house.

Melly said:
Just curious... why would that be "the right thing"? This lady did not ask for her house to be cleaned. The cleaning lady made the mistake of going to the wrong house and cleaning it. While I understand she still did provide a service, it was her error in going to the wrong house. If the lady whose house was cleaned did not ask for the service, she should not have to pay for it. While I agree that it would be nice if she did offer to pay something, I don't feel that she is obligated to do so.

Just wondering....

If I could afford a cleaning lady, I would be very upset if one came into my home by mistake and would much rather have a person who could understand and make out simple directions. The home owner probably went through alot of distress thinking that some lunatic was stalking her or something and was totally disrespected by the male police. The cleaning lady will probably learn a good lesson and may even work for someone else and get paid by the hour even though it was all a mistake. The ethical thing to do is to do your job right and if in doubt don't be too proud to ask directions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back