ME ME - Kurt Newton, 4, Chain of Ponds, 1 Sept 1975

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/96dmme.html

Kurt Ronald Newton
Missing since September 1, 1975 from Chain Of Ponds, Maine.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: June 28, 1971
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'8; 45 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
<LI>Clothing: A navy blue jacket, a blue sweatshirt, multi colored cordaroy pants, mismatched socks and brown high shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Newton's family was camping at the Natanis Campground in Chain Of Ponds, ME on September 1, 1975. Newton was last seen riding his Big Wheel near his family's site; he wandered away from the road and has never been seen nor heard from since. His tricycle was found at a dump site eight-tenths of a mile from his family's campsite.

Reactions: mrz
Today, Septmeber 1, 2007, marks the thrity second anniversary of Kurt's disappearance. Please keep him and his family in your prayers. If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Kurt Ronald Newton, please call the Maine State Police at 207-289-2155 or your local police department (you can remain annonymous).

Is there a link that works for him now? The link in the first post does not work for me.

Thank you. I remember that face but the name did not ring a bell. My heart goes out to his family who have been left wondering all these years.

Years ago, I read an account of this case. It was in an old Yankee Magazine dated 1980. I thought it happened at Baxter State Park in Main. I had forgotten the name of the little boy, until I found this. Anyway the story has haunted me since.

Very sad.

Mystery surrounds boy's disappearance

Thirty-five years ago Tuesday, Ron and Jill Newton of Manchester lost their 4-year-old son Kurt while camping at the remote Natanis Point Campground in this wilderness township six miles below the Canadian Border at Coburn Gore.

Today marks the 35th anniversary of the day the cute blond toddler was officially declared missing on Sept. 1, 1975.

Much more: http://www.sunjournal.com/franklin/story/902543

Does anyone know if the Parents were cleared? TIA.

Kurt Ronald Newton
Missing since September 1, 1975 from Chain Of Ponds, Maine.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: June 28, 1971
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'8; 45 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: A navy blue jacket, a blue sweatshirt, multi colored corduroy pants, mismatched socks and brown high shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Newton's family was camping at the Natanis Campground in Chain Of Ponds, ME on September 1, 1975. Newton was last seen riding his Big Wheel near his family's site; he wandered away from the road and has never been seen nor heard from since. His tricycle was found at a dump site eight-tenths of a mile from his family's campsite.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Newton's whereabouts, please contact:

Maine State Police
Detective Mark Lopez
207-657-5710

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

NCIC Number: M-000164660

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Child Protection Education of America
The Doe Network: Case File 96DMME
ColdCaseInvestigations.com

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/96dmme.html

http://officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?t=11354

this poor little boy did disappear like my son,it is not possible he is dead if they did not find the boys corpse, any clothes,shoes,traces
I do believe he was abducted like my son
no updates about him or the family?

I think he was abducted. He was terrified of the woods. His big wheel bike was found by the edge of the woods. He never would have wondered in the woods. His parents believe he was taken across the border to Quebec. I think mostly like he was, and raised there by another family. He was a very cute child with bright blonde hair. Also when they put up posters on the Quebec side, there was not even a response. Quebec was (and still is) resentful of any US interference. This happened in the wrong decade. Had it happened now, a much better chance of finding him.

Portland Press Herald, Feb. 5 2012

Age progression side-by-side at bottom of article.

Still missing: Parents never give up when children disappear

"On Sept. 1, 1975, Kurt Ronald Newton of Manchester vanished from Natanis Point Campground in Chain of Ponds in western Maine near the Quebec border. He was 4 at the time. Today, he would be 40.

Kurt was last seen riding a Big Wheel tricycle near his parents' campsite, according to the Charley Project.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Steve McCausland said efforts to find Kurt were historic in scope.

"One of the largest searches of the decade was mounted up there to try to find him," he said. "All they found was his tricycle."

After the search concluded, Kurt's parents mailed missing-child posters with Kurt's photo to every school district in the United States.

His parents, Ronald and Jill Newton, declined to be interviewed."

Has anyone ever contacted LE about having this boy added to NamUs?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=167200408

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
December 13, 2012 5:24 PM

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — More than 1,000 children are reported missing each year in Maine. The vast majority are quickly reunited with loved ones, often within hours. Over 40 years, only three missing-person cases involving young children remain unsolved.

<snipped>
Another child, 4-year-old Kurt Ronald Newton, of Manchester, disappeared four years later from a campground near the Canadian border. That case also led to a massive search, but the boy was never found. He father declined to talk about it for this story.

Since 1971, seven Maine children reported missing have not been found

[snip]

Newton wandered away from his family’s campsite at the Chain of Ponds Public Reserve Land near Coburn Gore on the Quebec border, according to media reports. He was last seen riding his tricycle at the campsite while his mother was out of sight washing muddy shoes.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/1...rare-in-maine/

Just read about Kurt. Does anyone know more about any tips, sightings, etc? Such a sweet little boy. How sad for his family.

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/article/features/mysteries/vanished#_

"The Newton family was camping at Coburn Gorge in northern Maine over Labor Day weekend in 1975 when Kurt, age 4, disappeared. What followed has been termed &#8220;the most extensive woods search in the history of Maine.&#8221; But all the thousands of volunteer searchers ever found were unanswered questions."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back