IN - Judge Gives Unusual Sentence To Teens

Old Broad

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5275898

PORTAGE, Ind. An Indiana judge fed up with teenage traffic violators is hitting them where it hurts _ in the driver's seat.

Porter Superior Judge Julia Jent is sentencing the teens to the embarrassment of riding the school bus.

Jent got the idea after a girl in her court for a moving traffic violation appeared not to take seriously either the offense or the possible fine.

The judge said she knew she had reached the teen when she ordered her to park her car and ride the school bus and the girl started crying outside her courtroom.

More at link.

I like this judge!
O B

Well it is nice to read when a "judge" can take away the priviledges of a teen, it is far, far more useful than anything else.

But I would hope that the parents had the forsight to do this, that it did not tak a judge to "take away the car", the parents should have done that anyways.

It is pretty sad to think it would take a judge to take away privileges that really should've been taken away by parents but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I must've been a horribly uncouth teenager because it didn't embarrass me at all to ride the bus. I did have to drive quite often due to extracurricular activities. What would've embarrassed me more was having my mother walk me to class, which she threatened to do at one point unless I shaped up. I shaped up and pronto!

The judge also stated that there would be more trouble if it was found parents were dropping the kids off at school. It's sad that the judge had to look ahead at parents doing this rather than let the kid deal with what they'd done. IMO it has gotten so out of hand with kids. They think they're to good to ride the school bus, how are they going to be prepared for the real world out there when they won't have mommy and daddy handing them everything they want.
When I was a kid I was jealous of the kids who rode the bus lol, I just lived a block away and walked to school.

OB

CyberLaw said:
Well it is nice to read when a "judge" can take away the priviledges of a teen, it is far, far more useful than anything else.

But I would hope that the parents had the forsight to do this, that it did not tak a judge to "take away the car", the parents should have done that anyways.

Goes with my theory that some parents don't want to parent. They want teachers to do it, judges to do it and their own automobiles to do it when they forget.

Jeana (DP) said:
Goes with my theory that some parents don't want to parent. They want teachers to do it, judges to do it and their own automobiles to do it when they forget.
I completely agree. I met a woman this weekend who is an 8th grade health teacher. She gets calls from parents telling her that their child is coming in to school dressed inappropriately. The parent actually had the nerve to request that she (the teacher) note that the child is in violation of the dress code and send them home. Um, how about the parent not let them out of the house like that in the first place?!? And where did the kid get money to buy "inappropriate clothes?" :eek:

Masterj said:
I completely agree. I met a woman this weekend who is an 8th grade health teacher. She gets calls from parents telling her that their child is coming in to school dressed inappropriately. The parent actually had the nerve to request that she (the teacher) note that the child is in violation of the dress code and send them home. Um, how about the parent not let them out of the house like that in the first place?!? And where did the kid get money to buy "inappropriate clothes?" :eek:
I don't know the whole story here, but I think it's good parenting to have teacher back-up when enacting consequences. It's always best when parents and teachers are on the same page.

When I was in 8th grade, I was able to procure inappropriate articles of clothing for myself...of course, the only place I was able to wear them was in my room or a friends room...couldn't get away with it at home OR school. Which is kind of the point...

southcitymom said:
I don't know the whole story here, but I think it's good parenting to have teacher back-up when enacting consequences. It's always best when parents and teachers are on the same page.

When I was in 8th grade, I was able to procure inappropriate articles of clothing for myself...of course, the only place I was able to wear them was in my room or a friends room...couldn't get away with it at home OR school. Which is kind of the point...
My Mom wouldn't let me wear jeans to middle school, so I changed into them at the bus stop. It wasn't against school rules, but it was against her rules. She never did catch me.

Awww poor spoiled baby. That's no punishment! Crying over riding the bus? Boy, is this society raising a bunch of privilaged, spoiled weenies or what?

Try having NO bus and having to walk to school. On top of getting yourself up, dressed, fed, clean up after yourself and do it all over again in the afternoon.

Heck I was sooo glad when we moved somewhere were there was a bus! Feb gets cold when you are walking!

I didn't even get a car until my last year of highschool but you can bet mommy and daddy didn't buy it. I worked my butt off to get it.

Sorry, this is such a pity and such a crock. No wonder our youngsters think they can do what they want with goofy sentences like that.

How about a defensive driving course and community service? How about cleaning the sides of the roads? How about having to give speeches to others about the dangers of traffic violations. You want to give them humility right? A free ride on a nice dry, albeit loud, bus is a joke!

Bham!

Now don't you know that we aren't suppose to teach humility anymore??
You CANNOT do anything that would hurt their fragile ego's or make them in any way shape or form embarrassed in front of their peers?
GOD forbid the little angel's are told anything that even remotely upsets them.

BhamMama said:
Awww poor spoiled baby. That's no punishment! Crying over riding the bus? Boy, is this society raising a bunch of privilaged, spoiled weenies or what?

Try having NO bus and having to walk to school. On top of getting yourself up, dressed, fed, clean up after yourself and do it all over again in the afternoon.

Heck I was sooo glad when we moved somewhere were there was a bus! Feb gets cold when you are walking!

I didn't even get a car until my last year of highschool but you can bet mommy and daddy didn't buy it. I worked my butt off to get it.

Sorry, this is such a pity and such a crock. No wonder our youngsters think they can do what they want with goofy sentences like that.

How about a defensive driving course and community service? How about cleaning the sides of the roads? How about having to give speeches to others about the dangers of traffic violations. You want to give them humility right? A free ride on a nice dry, albeit loud, bus is a joke!

AMEN! The problem is that the judge is too late. Someone should have been around when those kids were little enough to deal with them when they were forming their personality traits. Fortunately, we're talking about moving violations here and not robbery or drug dealing, but the root problem is the same in either case - parents not doing their jobs.

For a teenage girl be "demoted" from riches to rags, at school no less, embrassed, humiliated I hope her attitude changes when she has to ride the bus with people who probably don't like her much. She is probably one of "those" kids who is a snob, because she is not of the same "socio-economic" class and makes sure everyone knows it.

The parents will drive her to school, I put money on it. They just don't think they will get caught or they feel they are above the law. I don't think that they will "allow" their daughter to ride the school bus. Watch them rent their own school bus specifically to take the daughter to school. I would not put it past them. I hope this girl learns at least something from this.

Well at least if she did not, god fobid, have an accident in her car while she was speeding, but she has lots of "car friendly" safety devices. She has a better chance of surviving an "accident" with air bags and of course she remembers to "buckle up" as the annoying bell reminds you. All of these safety devices to ensure that "if you make a mistake you do not die" or have a lesser chance of dying. People are human and humans are known to "make mistakes". That is why we do have safety devices.........

Humans makes mistakes.......safety devices usuallly don't. Safety devices serve as a back up to "the mistakes humans are known to make"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back