2 Fox News People have been kidnapped

Pharlap

Former Member
Reaction score
Just on Fox.
They have been kidnapped from Gaza.....:eek:
Fox won't release names....
Was comfirmed by Fox 2 people.....

GAZA (Reuters) - Palestinian gunmen kidnapped two foreign journalists working for the Fox News television channel in Gaza on Monday, a witness said.

The witness, a Palestinian who worked with the two journalists, said one of them, a producer, was an American, and the other, whose nationality he did not know, was a cameraman.

The Fox News bureau in Jerusalem said it was checking the report.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the abduction.

The witness said two vehicles blocked the journalist's transmission truck in the center of Gaza City and a masked man put a gun to the bodyguard's head, forcing him to the ground.

The kidnappers then sped away with the two journalists.

Similar incidents in the past in Gaza have ended with the release, usually within hours, of kidnapped foreign journalists or aid workers.

Many of the abductions were carried out by Palestinians pressing a grievance against the Palestinian government or its security forces.

http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060814/2006-08-14T171252Z_01_L14273140_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-MIDEAST-GAZA-KIDNAPPING-DC.html

Do you mean they just kidnapped 2 reporters? How awful. I just put Fox on and it's 11: 43 and no other news yet.

Thanks for the thread by the way. I'm trying to think who they would be. They have a gal there I know.

Scandi

Fox just did a news update and didn't mention it. I wonder why, as it must be very close to their hearts!

Scandi

They've either got to be negotiating for their return or they got them back and are keeping a low profile about it.

Scandi

I just read that a Fox employee in Gaza (who declined to be identified) says it's Steve Centanni and his cameraman. No confirmation from Fox.

Cynical Suz said:
I just read that a Fox employee in Gaza (who declined to be identified) says it's Steve Centanni and his cameraman. No confirmation from Fox.
Didn't know what he looks like....pic here...
After I saw the pic, then I knew who he was, daaa :truce:

Also no update about this.......on Fox net or cable..

http://www.gogomag.com/sc3/

It's always awful when something happens to reporters whilst on the job, they really do put themselves in some precarious positions.
I hope they are okay, any more news on them yet?

It is about 10pm Pacific time, and I just heard an update where the Fox reporter mentioned their being taken today, and their release is now being negotiated. That is what I thought was happening, and I bet the State Dept told Fox earlier today to keep the news about it quiet until they had a handle on it. I think these Fox reporters have been smiling through their teeth all day!

It is a risk these guys willingly take, to report live from a war zone in active combat. But their dedication to their job and doing what they can to give the world the true story about what is going on, is more important to them than being all comfy at the main office, doing other stories.

I know we all send them our thoughts of a safe return and our healing thoughts if they have been wounded.

I just got home. Has anyone confirmed it is Steve and his cameraman?

Scandi

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Masked Palestinian gunmen ambushed a car carrying a Fox News crew in Gaza City on Monday and kidnapped two journalists, including one American, witnesses and Fox said.

"We can confirm that two of our people were taken against their will in Gaza," Fox News said in a statement.

A Fox employee in Gaza, who declined to give his name because he was not authorized to release information about the incident, said American reporter Steve Centanni and New Zealand cameraman Olaf Wiig were kidnapped. The men, along with a bodyguard, were parked near the headquarters of the Palestinian security services when two trucks filled with masked gunmen pulled up and boxed them in, the Fox employee said. The gunmen took the two men out of their sports utility vehicle, which was marked "TV," and drove away, he said.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060815/D8JGKQOG0.html

There is a website callled TMZ.com that is showing a picture of Steve and saying it is him.

scandi said:
It is about 10pm Pacific time, and I just heard an update where the Fox reporter mentioned their being taken today, and their release is now being negotiated. That is what I thought was happening, and I bet the State Dept told Fox earlier today to keep the news about it quiet until they had a handle on it. I think these Fox reporters have been smiling through their teeth all day!

It is a risk these guys willingly take, to report live from a war zone in active combat. But their dedication to their job and doing what they can to give the world the true story about what is going on, is more important to them than being all comfy at the main office, doing other stories.

I know we all send them our thoughts of a safe return and our healing thoughts if they have been wounded.

I just got home. Has anyone confirmed it is Steve and his cameraman?

Scandi

Does anyone else find it ironic that these kidnappings occurred shortly after Jill Carrol's interview about her ordeal was broadcasted on GMA this morning?

On GMA this morning they just said due to the circumstances that are happening in the world right now it may take a little longer than usual to get these 2 back.

I just found this on Michelle Malkin's website:

Internal memo from Fox VP John Moody to staff:
"The rumors are true: two of our employees have been abducted in Gaza. We will report this fact via our Israel correspondents. Do NOT do any other segments on it. Do not book guests on this topic. Do not comment officially and of course, not on the air, about it. DO pray for their release. I will keep you posted."

Complete article at http://michellemalkin.com/archives/005730.htm

Fox News Meets With Officials About Abducted Journalists
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip -- Palestinian security forces hunted for two abducted Fox News journalists Tuesday, and the Palestinian president and prime minister were intervening in an attempt to gain their release.

President Mahmoud Abbas and Ismail Haniyeh, the prime minister of the Hamas-led government, scheduled meetings with the news organization's Jerusalem bureau chief, Eli Fastman, and its chief correspondent in Israel, Jennifer Griffin.
http://www.10news.com/news/9681638/detail.html

Thanks Mygirlsadie,

I sure hope they are not being brutalized. I'm trying to think who else the Palestinians have kidnapped, but these guys are members of Hammas, right?

I wonder why they didn't take the bodyguard?

Scandi

Just bumping this.
Any news?
Have they been released does anyone know?

Thanks IdahoMom.
It only happened just over a week ago, so I guess it's no surprise nothing has happened yet.
Betcha it feels more like months to Steve and Olaf though.
Hope they get out alive, I really do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back