710 users online (84 members and 626 guests)  

Websleuths News

VA - Ricky Gray on trial in the Harvey family murders

RICHMOND, Va. Jury selection has ended for the day in the trial of a man accused of taking part in the murders of two Richmond families.

Twenty-nine-year-old Ricky Gray pleaded not guilty today to all five counts of capital murder.

He's charged in the New Year's Day deaths of Bryan and Kathryn Harvey and their daughters, four-year-old Ruby and nine-year-old Stella.

Out of a pool of 25 potential jurors questioned by defense attorneys and prosecutors, six were dismissed. Jury selection is expected to last through most of tomorrow.

More: http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=5277599
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

Florida's Treasure Coast
    Man Pleads Not Guilty in Va. Slayings

You'd think they'd plead guilty just to avoid the needle.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."

Jury convicts New Year's killer in 30 minutes

Couple, 2 kids found with throats slashed in burning home

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- A man was convicted Thursday of the random mutilation killings of a musician and his family, a verdict that took just 30 minutes to reach and could bring the death penalty.

Lawyers for Ricky Jovan Gray, 29, presented no witnesses and acknowledged he confessed to the New Year's Day slayings of musician Bryan Harvey, 49, his wife, Kathryn, 39, and daughters Stella, 9, and Ruby, 4.

Seeing photographs and hearing details of how they died -- bound, beaten and stabbed, with their throats cut, in basement of their burning home -- left one juror in tears and others looking shaken. They could recommend that Gray be executed after the trial's penalty phase, which was to begin Thursday afternoon.

How can someone plead "not guilty" and then have your lawyer acknowledge you confessed?

Set up for appeals?

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

While I am not pro-death penalty in every murder case, this is truly one that deserves it. Absolutely horrendous. And all they took of any value was a computer....And four precious lives.

And they are probably responsible for even more murders, as we heard when this case initially occurred. Disgusting.

Ricky Javon Gray, sentenced to death for the slayings of two young sisters in Richmond more than a decade ago, is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to take up his appeal.

Gray’s lawyers are asking the justices to take the case, in part, to determine the obligations of state courts to provide adequate review of alleged constitutional violations and the obligation of federal courts to resolve such allegations when state court review is inadequate.

They allege Virginia courts “unreasonably failed to provide Gray with a meaningful opportunity to develop and present allegations challenging the constitutionality of his death sentence.”

The Virginia Attorney General’s office has until June 23 to respond to the 32-page petition filed on May 20, challenging a 2-1 ruling by a panel of the Richmond-based 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The appeals court stayed its ruling in February stopping Gray’s execution set for March 16.