Help Pleeeese!

S

sheba1

My Dad has called me with a problem with his computer and I don't know how to fix it. When he clicks on any of his desktop icons, a box comes up that asks which program he wants to use to open it!!! Using Remote Control, I took a look, and no, it's not his dementia, LOL Of course I click on Internet Exporer, and checked the "always use this program", clicked Apply and OK, but as soon as I tried to open is IE, same thing. How do I fix this so that @ all the icons open the program by clicking on them (like my puter) and b) so that works all the time?

I'm not puter savy and he is less so at 83 with dementia so he often doesn't remember which program to use to open the thingy and calls long distance that he can't get on the internet. The long distance is starting to cost a fortune every time he uses his compter, it's a long distance call :doh:, , so can someone help me please? THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Oh, sorry, one more problem. When I send him a link to a file or website on MSN, it won't open, I checked to make sure the box was checked off to allow links under the Tools, Security tab, and it is, but he still can't recieve files?

sheba1,

When DH gets home, he'll probably know. I'll post what he says if you don't have the answer already.

I'm interested in knowing how in the heck you remote controlled into his computer!!! Do you have a special program for that? I had Norton (the anti-virus company) remote into my computer once when I had a nasty virus, but it cost me a smooth $75 bucks!

julianne said:
sheba1,

When DH gets home, he'll probably know. I'll post what he says if you don't have the answer already.

I'm interested in knowing how in the heck you remote controlled into his computer!!! Do you have a special program for that? I had Norton (the anti-virus company) remote into my computer once when I had a nasty virus, but it cost me a smooth $75 bucks!

It's quite easy actually, you can either use Microsoft or MSN. We use MSN, under Actions, third box down says Ask For Remote Assistance, it's the last option in that box. The recepient gets a message that you asked for Remote assistance, and you Accept or Decline. The sender then gets a box that says so and so has accepted, do you wish to give them control of your computer, and you click yes. You both have to have the same program, eg. Windows SP or '98. It's the only thing he's mastered so far, is to ask for remote assistance and play poker, LOL
THANKS FOR ASKING HUBBY, I'LL KEEP CHECKING BACK :) :blowkiss:

I think I found the answer in Control Panel>File Types, I'll have to wait until he comes back on and asks for remote assistance, then check if the proper boxes are checked. I'd appreciate if your hubby can confirm that though, and still need an answer re the sending links through MSN!

Sheba..

Sorry for the delay! I asked mr julianne about the links, and he said to do what you had already posted---he said to go under the tools box, and then the security tab.:confused: It's strange that it isn't working! I'm gonna try to figure it out, though!

Thanks for the remote tips! I'm going to try that.

You've probably figured it out by now--you definately sound computer savvy! I'll still check, though...there's gotta be an answer online.:blowkiss:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back