PowerWurks...MERGED

KT Can

Reaction score
I know that someone has already found the PowerWurks connection but I just came across the following... don't know if this has been posted already. The domain name was never re-registered which in turn made it available for someone else to purchase... just yesterday. The site owner has some found several interesting newsgroup postings from back in 1996 that reference a powerwurks.com email address.

http://www.powerwurks.com/ Two excerpts from site below (several more at site with source links)...

"Is sex among people under 10 a rarity or common place?" - John Mark Karr, 02/06/1996

UPDATE 1:00PM PST 08/17/06: The most damning evidence yet against Karr has been uncovered with the quote above. The message enquiring about the sex lives of children under ten was posted to k12.chat.elementary, a newsgroup intended for elementary school children.

PowerWurks sounds great, just an organization to help out youth. Except he claims to have a "huge data base", probably a database of children. He also states "All my plans revolve around kids", including his murder plans I suppose. But wait, why would a self-proclaimed youth help organization post this:
The legal age to consent to sex, in many states of the U.S., ranges from 14 to 16. Do you think the age should be raised or lowered and why?

http://members.aol.com/powerwurks/romance.htm

Or send an e-mail to PowerWurks@aol.com

Source link: http://groups.google.com/group/k12.chat.junior/msg/ad29f8c705c09614?dmode=source&hl=en

OK, I agree this is an important piece of info. And it may explain how he got to know one of the Ramseys. Did Burke have computer access? Could he have written in for advice about something? And how many other ways did JMK fish for youngsters.

No matter how this turns out, I think alot of people will be re-examining any contact they or their children had with this guy.

===========================
Date: Tues, Mar 12 1996 4:00 pm
Email: powerwu...@aol.com (PowerWurks)
Groups: alt.parents-teens

Dear Parents,

My name is John Karr and I am the father of three. I talk to kids
worldwide about their problems or just offer my friendship to a young
person who feels like the world has forgotten them. If I can help your
kids or you, in any way, please feel free to contact me.

Please respond via e-mail at PowerWu...@aol.com and visit our website.
Sincerely,
John Karr
PowerWurks
Support/Feedback/Security
PowerWu...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/powerwurks/index.htm

KT Can said:
===========================
Date: Tues, Mar 12 1996 4:00 pm
Email: powerwu...@aol.com (PowerWurks)
Groups: alt.parents-teens

Dear Parents,

My name is John Karr and I am the father of three. I talk to kids
worldwide about their problems or just offer my friendship to a young
person who feels like the world has forgotten them. If I can help your
kids or you, in any way, please feel free to contact me.

Please respond via e-mail at PowerWu...@aol.com and visit our website.
Sincerely,
John Karr
PowerWurks
PowerWu...@aol.com
[url="http://members.aol.com/powerwurks/index.htm"]http://members.aol.com/powerwurks/index.htm[/url]
I did last night on another thread then again today on two other but no one seemed that interested. Thank you for reposting on a separate thread.

dot_clear.gif

From:PowerWurks - view profileDate:Sat, Mar 9 1996 12:00 am Email: powerwu...@aol.com (PowerWurks)Groups: alt.support.loneliness
Not yet rated
Rating: show options

Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Loneliness is alot of things. I believe that a large part of loneliness
revolves around an empty heart that needs to be filled with love. Of
course, love comes in many forms. It can be a nice compliment from a
friend. It can be in the form of a term of endearment. Best of all, it can
be in the form of a caring person saying, "I love you".

If you feel like no one cares about you, that's impossible because I care
about you. If you are cared for and loved, you don't have to be lonely
anymore. If we all stick together, we can conquer anything. You can find
happiness and independence with a super self-esteem. A strong inner-self
has to be born. Love can breathe life into your lonely soul. That is what
I do everyday and I receive the same thing in return.

PowerWurks is a support organization for kids, teens and college students
but all ages are welcome. We provide a safe and private environment where
you can freely and comfortably express your thoughts and feelings on any
subject. No subject is banned from discussion. All conversations are
strictly confidential and that's a promise!!

Please respond via e-mail to PowerWu...@aol.com. Also, visit our website.
Sincerely,
John Karr
PowerWurks
PowerWu...@aol.com

PrivacyOnly 1 message in topic - view as tree
dot_clear.gif
From:PowerWurks - view profileDate:Sun, Feb 4 1996 12:00 am Email: powerwu...@aol.com (PowerWurks)Groups: k12.chat.senior
Not yet rated

Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Do you lock your front door? Do you lock your e-mail? You can with PGP262
encryption. If you value your privacy, you need PGP262 encryption
software. It's FREE.
Or send an e-mail to PowerWu...@aol.com

This "I will care about you when no one else does" is pretty typical MO for these type of predators.

Archives of AOL are not searchable thru any public access site, but I bet there is a ton of stuff by him over on AOL. Back around that time frame there were quite a bit of online predators scoping out the chat rooms.

There was actually another case that ended in arrest that I am aware of off of AOL that involved an actual abduction. I cant remember the guys first name but the last name was something like Tashbeck and the event happened in Texas, but the guy was arrested in California.

dragonfly707 said:
I did last night on another thread then again today on two other but no one seemed that interested. Thank you for reposting on a separate thread.
Yes, thanks to the threadstarter and thanks, Dragonfly for posting this stuff.

It is extremely alarming and disheartening to see it this clearly...how a predator sets the bait for their prey. I hate that kids who are severely in need of adult attention and love would fall into this guy's web.

Anita - What's even more alarming or disheartening is that I am coming across posts from children/teens who evidently answered him. These are just online newsgroup postings so one could only imagine the private email or IM communication this guy could have had with these children...

What a creep. I see he was hiding over on the alt. boards on usenet where no one would ever really bother him. Yuck

KT Can said:
Anita - What's even more alarming or disheartening is that I am coming across posts from children/teens who evidently answered him. These are just online newsgroup postings so one could only imagine the private email or IM communication this guy could have had with these children...
:( After 10 years, it will be interesting to see if any of these kids come out of the woodwork. (Although I really hope that he never had physical contact with any of the kids he "helped", I am suspicious.)

See this has me thinking about a scenario..hear me out. (Or read me out..oh nevermind!)

I haven't followed this case as closely as most of you, but I do have a 10 year old son. Granted, today's internet/computer situation is MUCH different than ten years ago, but we did have internet in 1996 and would probably have let him on it. We were pretty blissfully ignorant in '96.

I am not blaming any of the Ramseys here..just trying to link this guy to them. Could Burke have found a sympathetic ear to complain to? Especially the "10 year old" that JMK posted who wanted a pen pal? Either at his home or a friend's house? Could he have complained about his mom always being wrapped up in JBR's pageants to this guy? Could PR have talked about parenting with him.

It seems to me that either his gig was up with Powerwurks (parents complaining about inappropriate things being sent) or he had found his target. If he really did kill JBR, that is.
wink.gif

You know, I love kids in general..have some of my own. But for a man who, according to reports, took little interest in his own but was spending so much energy trying to help "at risk" READ:VULNERABLE kids, something's not right.

From:an516222 - view profileDate:Thurs, Mar 7 1996 12:00 am Email: an516...@anon.penet.fiGroups: alt.missing-kids
Not yet ratedRating:show options

an516...@anon.penet.fi
PowerWu...@aol.com

If it would help anyone on this newsgroup, I have the complete data base of
the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children. I downloaded it from
their website. Their URL is http://www.missingkids.org If you don't have web
access, I'd be glad to help.
My name is John Karr, creator of PowerWurks; a world wide support
organization for kids, teens and college students. At this time, it is an
e-mail based crisis feedback program. I have alot of plans for the future,
like an 800 hotline and more. All my plans revolve around kids. I am very
concerned about the well being of all young people. I'll do anything I can to
help find a missing child. I have 3 children of my own and I don't know what
I would do if they were taken from me.
Please don't hesitate to ask for my assistance. I can't send the huge data
base to you but I will share any information that might help you.
Please respond via e-mail to PowerWu...@aol.com
For quicker response, *don't* address e-mail to an516...@anon.penet.fi.
Sincerely,
John Karr
PowerWurks
PowerWu...@aol.com
--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to a...@anon.penet.fi
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to h...@anon.penet.fi
If you have any problems, address them to a...@anon.penet.fi

</U></FONT></FONT>
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.missing-kids/tree/browse_frm/month/1996-03/7e4b8d3965e64f69?rnum=11&_done=%2Fgroup%2Falt.missing-kids%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fmonth%2F1996-03%3F

I'm assuming that Colorado LE looked over the Ramsey's pc's during the initial investigation. Hopefully they still have all that and can check those records to see if there is a connection to Karr that way.

If I would have rec'd that email from Karr, I would have sent him back the "puke" emoticon and maybe reported him somewhere. Eww.

Even if he doesn't turn out to be JonBenet's killer, his past will keep LE very busy for quite some time.

Get Your Own Anonymous Address IDOnly 1 message in topic - view as tree

I'm not going to post everything this alleged sicko idiot has put out on the WWW but some of this stuff is ridiculous.

dot_clear.gif
From:PowerWurks - view profileDate:Sun, Feb 4 1996 12:00 am Email: powerwurks@aol.com (PowerWurks)Groups: k12.chat.senior
Not yet rated

The internet is a very dangerous place. An anonymous address can help you
maintain your anonymity. Your mail will be routed through the anonymous
server in Finland and no one will know your real address, hidden safely
behind the anonymous address. You can use this address to send e-mail and
also to post to newsgroups, anonymously. It's FREE.
Or send an e-mail to ping@anon.penet.fi to activate a new anonymous
address
and send an e-mail to help@anon.penet.fi for a complete help file.

Karr sounds like he was also obsessed with the internet. Back in 1996, it seems like he was on the internet 24/7, trolling for kids.

I wonder how many JonBenet Ramsey forums he visited, and what names he used back then.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back