776 users online (134 members and 642 guests)  

Websleuths News

School teacher accused of shaking First Grader

Teacher accused of battery

A Clayton County first-grade teacher faces criminal charges for grabbing and shaking the head of a 6-year-old student in her class.

Rose C. Hagy, 49, of Peachtree City is free on $2,000 bond after Clayton Chief Magistrate Michael Baird decided Wednesday that there was enough evidence to charge her with simple battery. The charge is a misdemeanor, and Hagy could face up to a year in jail.

Hagy told Clayton County police that she was trying to "get her student to pay attention to her," according a police report. "I have done nothing wrong," Hagy said Thursday of the Dec. 12 incident. "I am innocent."

No hearing date has been scheduled.

Pointe South Elementary School Principal Frank Tanner observed the incident while walking by Hagy's 15-student classroom just before the Christmas holidays, said Clayton Assistant Superintendent Linda Tanner. "He did observe Ms. Hagy shaking the head of a student," said Tanner, who is not related to the principal.

Linda Tanner said Hagy assured the principal that everything was under control. But the principal returned to his office and reported the incident to school administrators, the Georgia Department of Family and Children Services, the Clayton County Police Department and the child's mother.

State law requires school officials to report suspicions of child abuse even if it involves another staff member.

Full Story from the Atlanta Journal Constitution

Cass, you always come up with some good topics. This one makes me mad, because you send your kids to school to learn, not to get brutalized. Reminds me of when I was a kids and the teachers were still spanking kids or hitting us on the backs of our hands with a ruler.And I went to public school! I hope this teacher gets taken out of the classroom until this is resolved and then gets some help for anger management. This really gives teachers a bad name.

This is one brave and GOOD principal. I commend this man from the bottom of my soul. There are reporting laws but this incident must have run on the borderline or the investigation would not have been so drawn out. He could have simply let it go and talked to the teacher himself on the sly... but he did the right thing. The superintendent should have been as astute as her lower ranked employee and then a judge wouldn't have had to decide this case. I can't believe they are letting her continue to teach while she is under arrest for this pending a hearing.

Rose C. Hagy, 49, of Peachtree City is free on $2,000 bond after Clayton Chief Magistrate Michael Baird decided Wednesday that there was enough evidence to charge her with simple battery. The charge is a misdemeanor, and Hagy could face up to a year in jail.

Hagy told Clayton County police that she was trying to "get her student to pay attention to her," according a police report. "I have done nothing wrong," Hagy said Thursday of the Dec. 12 incident. "I am innocent."

thats it ??!?!?! WTF???
    2000$ Bond??
    When we were kids it was legally aloud to paddle us.
    My mother actually got court orders to prevent it.
    Which was required 10 years or more ago.
    In florida it is still legal for a principal to paddle your child.
    Only two counties (back ass woods) still actually follow that law.
    I am going to type this here just for the official record......
    If I EVER find a teacher (or ANYONE else) laying a hand upon one of my children I will, without hesitation cause them great and extreme bodily harm. I wonder if my bond will be a mere 2000$??
    Only 200 with Bail bondsman.
    As a community these people should hold their heads in shame.
    All except the principal.
    Let me reiterate.. If that were my child... the only trial would be the one for me... Because there would be no one else left to prosecute by the time I was done if someone dared to touch one of my children.
    Ya know the problem is that a teaching degree is almost the easiest degrees to get. (no offense.. as I know MANY teachers whom I respect) But many are just going for the easy job.
    The pay sucks. And even with a full education... Its typically inadiquate. They learn very little about what is legally required of them.. What? one hour about Special ed??Yes, in four years!! Even though legally they are required to teach these children?
    Okay ... this is just small problem.Again I will say that I know many teachers whom I respect and adore.
    But sooo many more who should not be working with any child.

I'm with you!! Aamra

If I EVER find a teacher (or ANYONE else) laying a hand upon one of my children I will, without hesitation cause them great and extreme bodily harm. I wonder if my bond will be a mere 2000$??
    I pity the fool teacher that ever laid a hand on one of my kids. The problem I have with the Jr. High right now is that the offender(s) was also a kid... a little bit more complicated but just as frustrating.

I have only girls and none of them have ever been behavior problems at their school. I think boys tend to have more problems along those lines or teachers tend to favor girls and not cut the boys any slack. I've never had to have a showdown with a teacher over physical discipline, and I'm relieved about that. But I would have zero tolerance for any adult that hit or shook my child, I don't care what my kid did. If my child did something that bad I would take of care of it for sure and she would not do it again. And detention (or even suspension if the infraction was bad enough) would be totally supported by me if the evidence supports a teacher's claim of bad behavior. But I look at it this way... I don't hit my children or manhandle them and neither does their father. I'll be damned if some teacher is going to use some kind of physical violence against them.

Must be our red hair huh? LOL ... I love your doll.

thanks Babs...a rare moment when we agree!

Twinzy made my doll for me.. as she does all of them.
    I am a writer not an artist..... She gets all the credit Thanks twinz!!!
    Really I am a blonde without the L'oreal so i guess I am just a B***
    And damn proud of it BTW.... LOL
    I volunteer at my childrens schools 4 kids... 4 different schools, 4 days a week.
    I find that presence alone helps combat any problems with other children.
    Besides.... I am the PE assistant coach two days a week.

LOL
    They don't want a time out...
    Not that I would ever time out a child for what they did out side of my class.
    But typically they act up where ever if they are prone to do so.
    OOh I have got a couple of gems though.
    One in Fifth grade ...The attitude astounds me!!!
    Another in first grade.
    Don't get me wrong I do not suffer from "not my child" syndrome.
    they are bratts daily... love them! but they are spoiled at times... My own fault!
    I can say that they may be bratty to me but I can take them out and they behave WELL!
    To the point that even my sisters MIL (who HATES me) compliments their behavoir.
    I deal with these kids at school and am amazed that some of them actually talk back like my own would to me BUT NEVER to anyone else.
    I actually told one fifth grade girl "Oh, Your mother must be proud that you speak to other adults like this."
    She hasn't been mouthy since...

I don't manhandle my children. But a well placed spanking is not beneath me..
    I really can't remember the last time I spanked one of them but the threat still exists.
    SHH!!! don't ever tell, but I wouldn't actually follow through as it hurts my hand.
    Really I rely mostly on taking away privilages.
    A loong time out.
    That usually does it..

When my kids went to school in SW Missouri I had to sign a paper that would not allow the Principle to spank. If a parent did not have this form on file Corporal Punishment was used. Mind you this wasnt 20 years ago, my daughter graduated in 2001 and that policy was still in place.
    Welcome to the World Baby Caleb!!!

I'm with you guys! I pity anyone who ever tries to put their hands on one of my children. I don't even spank them, I'm sure as hell not going to let anyone else do it.

I sign the form too that says they are NOT allowed to administer corporal punishment.

It would not be pretty if they went ahead and did it anyway. Of course, my children are perfect and they would never need any punishment of any kind. LOL No, seriously, they're both on the honor roll and get merits for their classroom behavior! We're pretty lucky with these two!!

I agree with you all that if a school staff member touched my daughter ~ I would be right after them.... but, I don't think I would use physical violence or kill anyone as has been suggested. What good would that do my daughter if I was now breaking the law? So I hope there are just some exaggerations here..

I would be all over the school legally and use the media but I would not be violent... I am not saying I wouldn't want to give the teacher a shake myself.. I imagine emotions would be running high!

I agree with you Casshew. Violence is not the answer in these situations. That's the main reason I never have spanked my children. To me, all it does is say to them that I don't know how else to handle a situation, so I'm going to hit you. That's not what I want them to learn. There are other ways to solve problems.

Agreed.

When I say "I pity the teacher" that manhandles a kid of mine, I mean I pity them legally. I would not use physical violence either. I don't believe in using that method with my kids... so to use that method against a teacher that crossed the line would be showing my kids that it isn't OK for the teacher to do it, but it is OK for mom's revenge. The mixed message would be more damaging than the original assault on the child.

I've actually had a couple of experiences where teachers have manhandled Richie.
    Once it was a teacher and another time a bus aide.
    Now keep in mind this my disabled child who cannot always communicate such things.
    I did not become violent with either of them.. Had them fired.
    But between you an I...If I thought I could have gotten away with it ... and the children weren't there I would have busted her freakin jaw.
    I am intellectually aware that this is not the way to handle the situation and I am not a violent person at all.
    The only time in my whole life I have ever phsycially fought someone or threatened to was in self defense.
    However words can not describe how I felt when those people touched my child.
    Anyone who would manhandle a child is scum but even worse to manhandle a disabled child who can't tell on you.
    Lucky for me Richie mimmicks what people say to him..
    LOL so he will come home and mimick if a staff member has said something to him and he does it so well copying that persons unique voice inflections that we always know who he is mimmicking.

I can't say that I am above physically harming someone who would hurt my child.
    At the absolute least they would wish that all I had done was punch them because that is mild compared to what miserey I will inflict upon their lives.