Cause of death?

AlwaysShocked

Reaction score
Can someone tell me whether the cause of death was determined to be from strangulation or from the blow to her head?

Was the blow to the head AFTER she was already dead?

I had always thought the garroting was done after she was already dead from the head blow, but some TV reports I've heard are putting it the other way.

Anyone remember this detail?

AlwaysShocked said:
Can someone tell me whether the cause of death was determined to be from strangulation or from the blow to her head?

Was the blow to the head AFTER she was already dead?

I had always thought the garroting was done after she was already dead from the head blow, but some TV reports I've heard are putting it the other way.

Anyone remember this detail?
I don't think everyone is agreement on that detail.

Official cause of death as per the autopsy report is asphyxia by strangulation associated with cranialcerebral trauma.

IMPO Meyer is saying that both things contributed to her death even though just one or the other would have killed her.

The autopsy report says:

CLINICOPATHOLOGIC CORRELATION: Cause of death of this six year old female is asphyxia by strangulation associated with craniocerebral trauma.

Talking Heads as well as posters have argued 'which came first' extensively over the years.

"Can someone tell me whether the cause of death was determined to be from strangulation or from the blow to her head?"

Strangulation killed her.

"Was the blow to the head AFTER she was already dead?"

Some say is was, but the pathologists who worked with the investigation say it came first. I can name a few for you.

"I had always thought the garroting was done after she was already dead from the head blow, but some TV reports I've heard are putting it the other way."

It's been argued over for years.

Is it known what she was bludgeoned with? I can't remember.

Apparently Dr Wecht thinks the death WAS an accident, as Karr claimed ... I picked this up from a different thread:

Wecht's book, pb, pg 81

Wecht theorized that the rope had pinched the vagus nerve that descends from the brain down each side of the neck to control the functions of many of the body's organs. Among its purposes is the key role of regulating the heart and lungs. If the nerve's electrical messages are interrupted, cardiac and respiratory function may cease, resulting in what doctors call "electrical death." The heart and lungs could begin to slow down, develop erratic responses, and eventually stop - leaving no evidence to establish an obvious cause of death.

The tighteneing of the noose could have done exactly that to JonBenet. Her death would have been inexplicable to the one who had ignorantly applied the fatal pressure to her neck.

* I find this important to note - on pg 101, Wecht says Meyer has noted a lack of damage to the front of JonBenet's neck. No fractures of the hyoid bone or thyroid cartilages. No damage to the cricoid cartilages in the trachea. The tongue showed no damage or injury. No hemorrhaging in the so-called "strap" muscles of the neck, which proved to Wecht (who is well-versed in strangulation physiology) there was no real intent to strangle JonBenet.

Wecht doesn't believe the strangler meant to kill JonBenet.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40524&page=1&pp=25

Autopsy report here

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/jonbenet1.html

Final Diagnosis:

I. Ligature strangulation
A. Circumferential ligature with associated ligature furrow of neck
B. Abrasions and petechnial hemorhages, neck
C. Petechial hemorrhages, conjunctival surfaces of eyes and skin of face

etc.........next is about the head injuries

Members online

Online statistics

Members online