A loner

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
The press corps had begun to fade away when Karr, in a surprise, sent word that he wanted to speak directly to the media, and he was hustled back into the room.

Creepy bloke, but did he do it?

John Mark Karr, 41, lived on the ninth floor of a rundown apartment building in a Bangkok district full of similarly rundown buildings and guest houses. For Karr, it was an inexpensive place to reside; apartments in his building rent for as little as $160 a month. Other residents describe him as a dour loner who didn't let anyone into his peripatetic life, traveling in and out of Thailand. An Internet café clerk in Karr's building said he was a regular customer who kept a close eye on users in neighboring booths, as if he was afraid they were spying on him. "He never wanted to chat," said Nii, the clerk. "Actually I was afraid of talking to him. He always seemed to be a bad mood. He rushed in, then rushed out."

More here: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1228182,00.html

I've stayed in Bangkok three for periods of time and one can be completely anonymous, should one so choose.

It seems that being a loner is the first thing mentioned when a serious criminal is apprehended. However, please keep in mind that half the people in Alaska are loners, and they are not all criminals.

Trino said:
It seems that being a loner is the first thing mentioned when a serious criminal is apprehended. However, please keep in mind that half the people in Alaska are loners, and they are not all criminals.

Likewise myself (i believe, at least!).

i hoofed it virtually alone most of the time for 2 years passing through Hong Kong, The Philippines, China, Thailand, Australia, UK, Ecuador, Venezuela, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia, Chili, Peru, Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, Portugal, Germany, The Netherlands.

and i'm not weird!

am i? :confused:

Floh said:
Likewise myself (i believe, at least!).

i hoofed it virtually alone most of the time for 2 years passing through Hong Kong, The Philippines, China, Thailand, Australia, UK, Ecuador, Venezuela, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia, Chili, Peru, Costa Rica, Mexico, USA, Portugal, Germany, The Netherlands.

and i'm not weird!

am i? :confused:
Hi Floh, no you are definetly not wierd.;) I do not think the fact that he seems to move around a lot is odd. It is just the 'way' he is that is freaky. Think it is strange that he seems to only work with girls. Also seems to have a history of not sticking with any thing or one. We are all loners to a degree, are'nt we ? But most people have some consistancy.
There is a lot we have yet to learn regarding Karr and i feel he is going to be grilled regarding other murders. One of these muders "TIES" to John Benet. At the moment however, freaky he appears he has not been convicted of anything.;) .

I don't think that Karr was a loner by choice: According to the Rocky Mountain News emails, from childhood he consistently viewed young girls as his peer group and I think that you could see his entire marital life, career moves, and fixations as attempts to fulfill his bizarre priorities. I thought that it was interesting that he lost his last job at a boy's school after just two weeks, not because he was overly friendly, but because he was a strict and unbending teacher. I don't think that problem came up when he was teaching girl students.

Yeah, I think he would have been totally different teaching girls to boys. Nice to girls and mean with boys.From what I have heard he was not a particularly 'good' teacher. Then again there are plenty of average teacher working everyday! One principal i saw interviewed said he did not like Karr"s teaching style and he had poor class control. I guess he prefers womens company to mens.also read somewhere that he delivered his 3 sons at home.(HOW BIZARRE!)with no medical assistance.He sold cars at one time and drove a De Lorean with gull wing doors.Hardly the type of car to just blend in when you drive it ! So many things are out there about him , that he seems a real unusual guy. I still believe he may be just a crazy case and not anything to do with JBR.Time will tell.

kazzbar said:
From what I have heard he was not a particularly 'good' teacher. Then again there are plenty of average teacher working everyday! One principal i saw interviewed said he did not like Karr"s teaching style and he had poor class control.

From what I have read, he was a decidedly LOUSY teacher, not even close to average. His longest stint was what......two weeks? And I don't believe he was a regular classroom teacher in the U.S., only a substitute. In many states, a sub doesn't have to have a teaching degree, just so many hours in an education curriculum. His degree was from an online 'university'. Did he student teach anywhere? I'm actually relieved that his lousiness was caught quickly.

I also read that he delived a set of twins at home, his second wife's first pregnancy. They were both girls and died the very same day they were born. You would think that if that happened, the next times you would be in a hospital just to be on the safe side.
I guess I'm a horrible person because when I heard he had three sons, my first thought was "It's a good thing they weren't girls or he would have been messing with them!"
OB

Old broad, that was the first thing I thought when I read he had sons too. I do not think he ever worked as a permanent class teacher.I think most of his resume is B*******. I hope it is because who know how many little girls he has 'loved':doh: :doh:

Old Broad said:
I also read that he delived a set of twins at home, his second wife's first pregnancy. They were both girls and died the very same day they were born. You would think that if that happened, the next times you would be in a hospital just to be on the safe side.
I guess I'm a horrible person because when I heard he had three sons, my first thought was "It's a good thing they weren't girls or he would have been messing with them!"
OB
Personally, I think his only reason for marrying and trying to procreate so quickly was to create victims. He apparently blamed his wife for the miscarriage. Then they had 3 sons in rapid succession, which a neighbor stated he seemed to have little or no interest in interacting with.

I would also not be surprised if this guy turns out to have a form of high-functioning autism ala Aspegers (sp?).

Do we have much info about his sons? Has his ex remarried? Did he pay child support or have contact with his kids, or was he too busy with someone else's kids?

kazzbar said:
also read somewhere that he delivered his 3 sons at home.(HOW BIZARRE!)with no medical assistance.
Childbirth at home, unassisted by medical pros is not that bizarre. A lot of homebirth advocates argue that it's actually statistically safer (from an infection-risk and mortality standpoint) to deliver outside of a hospital. It also ties into the belief that childbirth is not a medical event unto itself, but that medical interventions which were once only used in emergencies are now considered the norm (and have thus "medicalized" childbirth).

I haven't birthed at home because I'm:chicken: , but I hate for the notion of homebirth (even as far out and "weird" as it is to most people) to get tied in with the kind "weird" Karr is, kwim?

/derail
Lisa :)

I think it just shows that he is a controlling creep that totally monopolized his wife. I am not saying that all home births are bizarre but I think the circumstances around this one probably were!

Another bizarre thing about Karr mentioned earlier on the Glenn Beck show is that he was obsessed with Sonny and Cher. I don't know where he heard that though.

kazzbar said:
I think it just shows that he is a controlling creep that totally monopolized his wife. I am not saying that all home births are bizarre but I think the circumstances around this one probably were!
Oh, I totally get him being a controlling creep, and that the circumstances around their homebirth were probably odd!

I worry too much, because last night I started thinking that my post may have sounded either know-it-all or argumentative (I didn't want to use smilies because the subject is just not a smiley one, but since that's how one usually lets others know their "tone" is nice, it may have read wrong).

Lisahas2cats said:
Oh, I totally get him being a controlling creep, and that the circumstances around their homebirth were probably odd!

I worry too much, because last night I started thinking that my post may have sounded either know-it-all or argumentative (I didn't want to use smilies because the subject is just not a smiley one, but since that's how one usually lets others know their "tone" is nice, it may have read wrong).

Hey , Lisa it's cool.I sounded like I was being very judgmental.Sometimes i post and think, err, that was awful. It just seems that Karr probably was such a control freak he even delivered his own poor dead twins. I am assuming that this was done with out a midwife being there to aid. If this is the case then this is why I think it 'odd'.I am making assumptions because i do not know.Maybe it was done with some help there ,in a loving environment.this is how I would imagine home births to be.i personally had 2 csars so have no idea.!

Lisahas2cats said:
Childbirth at home, unassisted by medical pros is not that bizarre. A lot of homebirth advocates argue that it's actually statistically safer (from an infection-risk and mortality standpoint) to deliver outside of a hospital. It also ties into the belief that childbirth is not a medical event unto itself, but that medical interventions which were once only used in emergencies are now considered the norm (and have thus "medicalized" childbirth).

I haven't birthed at home because I'm:chicken: , but I hate for the notion of homebirth (even as far out and "weird" as it is to most people) to get tied in with the kind "weird" Karr is, kwim?

/derail
I think that you're right about homebirthing. It is a completely honorable and safe practice if done with care and preparation.

I suspect that Karr insisted on home delivery to maintain control over an underage girl. Of course, one can't but wonder if the death of these two girls (under whatever conditions) might have accentuated his flight from reality.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back