DA Did not know

Trino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/15313010.htm

Although the Boulder, Colo., District Attorney's Office had enough evidence to obtain an arrest warrant for Karr for first-degree murder, it was only after the warrant was issued that investigators started asking questions that would form the basis of a successful homicide prosecution, experts say.

For example, it was not until Wednesday morning, after Karr was in Thai custody, that a representative of Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy's office called Hamilton County, Ala., schools to seek a handwriting sample of Karr for comparison to the ransom note left by JonBenét's killer.

Similarly, Lacy's office still has not contacted the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to compare anything from Karr -- DNA, handwriting, a palm print, footprint or even shoe size -- to the evidence found at the scene of the killing.

"There is a lot of work to still be done on this case..."

-DA Mary Lacy at a press conference 08-17-06

dragonfly707 said:
"There is a lot of work to still be done on this case..."

-DA Mary Lacy at a press conference 08-17-06
And just think someone could have at least done a little before flying off on a wild goose chase.

I still think he is a pedophile and that in itself warrants further investigation. If he is cause for JonBenet's murder it will take DNA for me.This man has no business teaching or being around children, including his own.Remember there are other victims when a pedophile is concerned. They are there.

Quoting from this article...

"There is a lot of trouble they are going through and I don't believe they would be doing it on a lark," Mueller said.

This is my feeling. They HAVE to have something that the media and public are unaware of to cause this huge frenzy for no reason.

That Article sites no source in the DA's office.

It only points out places the DA has not looked or people NOT contacted.
I am sure based on the little known about him thus far that the article means they have done nothing. Althought that is clearly the biased slant it went with.
Saying who they did not contact doesn't indicate who they also could have contacted.

Furthermore the DNA could have been done at another lab.

Thanks Amrraan, They better be on top of this.

Like they said it is a career maker or breaker for Mary. She might have a lot to do on this casxe, but I still think she would be chastized if she caused a world furor like this with out knowing something positive that could tie him to the murder.

Scandi

The article DID say who the DA contacted:

For example, it was not until Wednesday morning, after Karr was in Thai custody, that a representative of Boulder District Attorney Mary Lacy's office called Hamilton County, Ala., schools to seek a handwriting sample of Karr for comparison to the ransom note left by JonBenét's killer.

lol--well,it looks like they jumped the gun alright--she seemed pretty arrogant at the news conference--looks like her careerwill be over soon---but at least this Karr creep won't be molesting any young Thais,if Karr is indeed a molester and not just a voyeuristic pervert

Peter Hamilton said:
lol--well,it looks like they jumped the gun alright--she seemed pretty arrogant at the news conference--looks like her careerwill be over soon---but at least this Karr creep won't be molesting any young Thais,if Karr is indeed a molester and not just a voyeuristic pervert
I am always curious as to why one takes such joy in anothers career ending..I mean that-its nothing to do with u being the same person who had the gay comments..thats coincidence. You sound happy?
I do not think she had a choice but to arrest him based on the details he had..or I should say, that based on the information he provided there was cause for an arrest.
Noone knows how the whole thing went down..and look at it conversely. She has jb's killer within her grasp and lets him go to another city or wherever he would be going next. The whole world would ask for her head if that got out.
I dont think she is being wrong by being safe over sorry.
He is presumed innocent and she was the first to say-I did not experience her as remotely arrogant-if anything I thought she made it very clear they had probable cause-not a conviction-and in fact, they do have probable cause.
The media has made it bigger than life not the DA.
There was enuf to get a warrant..thats it. There is alot to do before its a conviction and if he isnt the guy, he will go free. (from the murder charge).
I am going to wait and see because I was the first to lose patience with the DA who tried scott peterson and in the end they made the case work.
I agree that this dude is a whacko but whacko's kill children too. I would rather they find out he didnt do it then not have jumped and a killer is loose somewhere.

Trino said:

The article DID say who the DA contacted:

This does not mean they had no samples of his handwriting to compare to the note. It means they didnt contact that school..they may have gotten samples from him. He may have written letters to Patsy not just emails??
Anything is possible. One thing I feel certain of is that they did not just pick him up for no reason. There is a reason even if its the details of her body. Thats big and I would think they have to arrest him to be fully allowed to question him. They would want him to have a lawyer or know his rights and so on.
But they are not fools-a case that is obvious is hard to prove not just a case that is like this..so they have done what they had to do and hopefully the world will understand its better to have erred on the side of caution.

Karr just started a job in Thailand, and if one considers the sex change clinic,
it doesn't appear he was about to leave. If LE traced Karr to Thailand, it would seem an easy task to monitor him while a more thorough investigation (handwriting/DNA) was done.

Trino said:
Karr just started a job in Thailand, and if one considers the sex change clinic,
it doesn't appear he was about to leave. If LE traced Karr to Thailand, it would seem an easy task to monitor him while a more thorough investigation (handwriting/DNA) was done.
then all the more likley they had a good reason to arrest him..
and none of knows anything about the sex change clinic or anything for that matter-its just people talking - I do not understand how the clinic itself could be releasing that info. They have an obligation to protect patient confidentiality.
I will wait and see-they deserve that much. I am sure there will be plenty of amrchair critics no matter what they do.
As for that job-je had just been fired...he doesnt have a history of long term employment..he gets fired pretty quickly.

newtv said:
then all the more likley they had a good reason to arrest him..
and none of knows anything about the sex change clinic or anything for that matter-its just people talking - I do not understand how the clinic itself could be releasing that info. They have an obligation to protect patient confidentiality.I will wait and see-they deserve that much. I am sure there will be plenty of amrchair critics no matter what they do.
As for that job-je had just been fired...he doesnt have a history of long term employment..he gets fired pretty quickly.
Do Thai clinics operate under the same guidelines as US clinics in this regard?

Oh, please. The Boulder DA's office only recently determined the identity of JMK. Also remember, this is Boulder we're talking about, not some metropolitan with loads of cash. In other words they only have so much manpower and their first order of business was to apprehend the man while they knew where he was. As for asking for old writing samples, I am not the least bit surprised that even if they had current writing samples, they would just now consider getting older samples from JMK's past. After all, as obsessed as the man appears to be, it is quite possible that he has purposefully practiced writing in such a way as to match the ransom note. And he had plenty of time to do so. Nearly 10 years, to be exact. Whether they are right or wrong remains to be seen of course.

shadowraiths said:
Oh, please. The Boulder DA's office only recently determined the identity of JMK. Also remember, this is Boulder we're talking about, not some metropolitan with loads of cash. In other words they only have so much manpower and their first order of business was to apprehend the man while they knew where he was. As for asking for old writing samples, I am not the least bit surprised that even if they had current writing samples, they would just now consider getting older samples from JMK's past. After all, as obsessed as the man appears to be, it is quite possible that he has purposefully practiced writing in such a way as to match the ransom note. And he had plenty of time to do so. Nearly 10 years, to be exact. Whether they are right or wrong remains to be seen of course.
very good points u make here, saying what i was trying to say..they are doing what they can based on probable cause..whether its going to go anywhere well-thats Karrs doing really. If he has a big scam going that will unravel too.

I agree. I also think their decision to apprehend the guy was based upon probable cause. And given his behavior during the Bangkok press conference (if that is any indication of how he came across in the emails), I am not the least bit surprised. The guy comes across as extremely creepy to me. And I don't think he's doing this as a ploy for media attention (as has been proffered). I think the guy has a serious screw or two or ten loose... or as I've characterized him in my blog article, he seems like an obsessed post-mortem stalker. That is, assuming he is not the perp and I personally do not think he is. Though I've been known to be wrong on more than a few occassions.

Either way, I certainly would not want to be in the DAs shoes. If she's wrong you can bet she'll be skewered by both the media and the public. And if she turns out to be right, you can bet people will wonder why she took so long to go after the guy. Whatever the case, it's easy to sit in the stadium while the gladiator gets gored.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back