676 users online (63 members and 613 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

"Don't attempt to grow a brain!" from the movie Speed 1994

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111257/quotes

Memorable Quotes from
    Speed

Howard Payne: Jack, nothing tricky now. You know I'm on top of you! DO NOT attempt to grow a brain!

Jack: Harry, there's enough C-4 on this thing to put a hole in the world!

Jack: It's a game. If he gets the money he wins, if the bus blows up he wins.
    Annie: What if you win?
    Jack: Then tomorrow we'll play another one.
    Annie: But I'm not avalible to drive tomorrow. Busy.

Ortiz: Just keep it steady.
    Annie: Oh, thanks for the tip, Ortiz.

[after the elevator falls]
    Young Executive: Jesus. Bob, what button did you push?

Howard Payne: See, I'm in charge here! I drop this stick, and they pick yer friend here up with a sponge! Are you ready to die, friend?
    Harry: **** you!
    Howard Payne: Oh! In two hundred years we've gone from "I regret but I have one life to give for my country" to "

I am assuming that the words "don't try to grow a brain', were taken from this movie.

Could possibly the SBTc be an expression from a movie?

Last night I watched a dateline episode on the case and they mentioned that line from Speed and at least another one (could have been 2 more) from the note that seemed to come from movies. Seemed that whoever wrote the note was a crime movie buff

do you remember what the others were?

I am not sure because I am not an avid listener, but I bebleive Dr. Laura also uses the phrase "grow a brain" quite often.

The reason I think this is because my Mom uses the phrase a lot and she is an avid listener.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

Beyond, I remember another was from the movie Ransom. There was one more but I can't remember the name of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111257/quotes

Memorable Quotes from
    Speed

Howard Payne: Jack, nothing tricky now. You know I'm on top of you! DO NOT attempt to grow a brain!

Jack: Harry, there's enough C-4 on this thing to put a hole in the world!

Jack: It's a game. If he gets the money he wins, if the bus blows up he wins.
    Annie: What if you win?
    Jack: Then tomorrow we'll play another one.
    Annie: But I'm not avalible to drive tomorrow. Busy.

Ortiz: Just keep it steady.
    Annie: Oh, thanks for the tip, Ortiz.

Young Executive: Jesus. Bob, what button did you push?

Howard Payne: See, I'm in charge here! I drop this stick, and they pick yer friend here up with a sponge! Are you ready to die, friend?
    Harry: **** you!
    Howard Payne: Oh! In two hundred years we've gone from "I regret but I have one life to give for my country" to "

I am assuming that the words "don't try to grow a brain', were taken from this movie.

Could possibly the SBTc be an expression from a movie?
    No question, RN author was a kidnap crime movie buff, BUT was the true author dictating over a cellphone? Thomas could never get those records!

I don't register any connection with SBTC and Speed. Speed Brake Thrust Controllers from NASA? There are so many! Good luck sleuthing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMush99
    Beyond, I remember another was from the movie Ransom. There was one more but I can't remember the name of it.
    Dirty harry?

I don't think it was Dirty Harry. They were movies that were out that year. I remember someone saying that the Ramsey's really didn't watch movies too often so they wouldn't know any lines from movies. I have to be completely honest here, I'm a big movie watcher and I never remember lines from movies, my hubby does though. Even a movie he saw one time.

It might have been Mission Impossible. I'm going to try to see if I can find out what the other movie was.

Quote Originally Posted by RJML
    Last night I watched a dateline episode on the case and they mentioned that line from Speed and at least another one (could have been 2 more) from the note that seemed to come from movies. Seemed that whoever wrote the note was a crime movie buff
    There were three quotes, or takeoffs on movie lines. Dateline said the Ramseys weren't movie buffs, and wouldn't have watched these types of movies anyway.

I found it, it's Ruthless People. I feel better now.

ETA: I was wrong about the movies being the year she was killed. I have so much information in my head from these last couple of days I don't what is what, LOL. Sorry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdieBoo
    I am not sure because I am not an avid listener, but I bebleive Dr. Laura also uses the phrase "grow a brain" quite often.

The reason I think this is because my Mom uses the phrase a lot and she is an avid listener.
    There were "lines" from three different movies as I recall, and not the types of movies the Ramseys would watch, even if they were movie attenders, which they aren't.

Buzz, check the 118000 strap thread, I left you a post there about the movies.

1. Overview
    2. Dirty Harry (1971)
    3. Nick of Time (1995)
    4. Ransom (1996)
    5. Ruthless People (1986)
    6. Speed (1994)

http://jonbenetramsey.pbwiki.com/Movie%20Comparisons

great site for movie comparisons

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast