"Don't attempt to grow a brain!" from the movie Speed 1994

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111257/quotes

Memorable Quotes from
Speed

Howard Payne: Jack, nothing tricky now. You know I'm on top of you! DO NOT attempt to grow a brain!

Jack: Harry, there's enough C-4 on this thing to put a hole in the world!

Jack: It's a game. If he gets the money he wins, if the bus blows up he wins.
Annie: What if you win?
Jack: Then tomorrow we'll play another one.
Annie: But I'm not avalible to drive tomorrow. Busy.

Ortiz: Just keep it steady.
Annie: Oh, thanks for the tip, Ortiz.

[after the elevator falls]
Young Executive: Jesus. Bob, what button did you push?

Howard Payne: See, I'm in charge here! I drop this stick, and they pick yer friend here up with a sponge! Are you ready to die, friend?
Harry: **** you!
Howard Payne: Oh! In two hundred years we've gone from "I regret but I have one life to give for my country" to "

I am assuming that the words "don't try to grow a brain', were taken from this movie.

Could possibly the SBTc be an expression from a movie?

Last night I watched a dateline episode on the case and they mentioned that line from Speed and at least another one (could have been 2 more) from the note that seemed to come from movies. Seemed that whoever wrote the note was a crime movie buff

I am not sure because I am not an avid listener, but I bebleive Dr. Laura also uses the phrase "grow a brain" quite often.

The reason I think this is because my Mom uses the phrase a lot and she is an avid listener.

Beyond, I remember another was from the movie Ransom. There was one more but I can't remember the name of it.

Beyond Belief said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111257/quotes

Memorable Quotes from
Speed

Howard Payne: Jack, nothing tricky now. You know I'm on top of you! DO NOT attempt to grow a brain!

Jack: Harry, there's enough C-4 on this thing to put a hole in the world!

Jack: It's a game. If he gets the money he wins, if the bus blows up he wins.
Annie: What if you win?
Jack: Then tomorrow we'll play another one.
Annie: But I'm not avalible to drive tomorrow. Busy.

Ortiz: Just keep it steady.
Annie: Oh, thanks for the tip, Ortiz.

Young Executive: Jesus. Bob, what button did you push?

Howard Payne: See, I'm in charge here! I drop this stick, and they pick yer friend here up with a sponge! Are you ready to die, friend?
Harry: **** you!
Howard Payne: Oh! In two hundred years we've gone from "I regret but I have one life to give for my country" to "

I am assuming that the words "don't try to grow a brain', were taken from this movie.

Could possibly the SBTc be an expression from a movie?
No question, RN author was a kidnap crime movie buff, BUT was the true author dictating over a cellphone? Thomas could never get those records!

I don't register any connection with SBTC and Speed. Speed Brake Thrust Controllers from NASA? There are so many! Good luck sleuthing.

MrsMush99 said:
Beyond, I remember another was from the movie Ransom. There was one more but I can't remember the name of it.
Dirty harry?

I don't think it was Dirty Harry. They were movies that were out that year. I remember someone saying that the Ramsey's really didn't watch movies too often so they wouldn't know any lines from movies. I have to be completely honest here, I'm a big movie watcher and I never remember lines from movies, my hubby does though. Even a movie he saw one time.

It might have been Mission Impossible. I'm going to try to see if I can find out what the other movie was.

RJML said:
Last night I watched a dateline episode on the case and they mentioned that line from Speed and at least another one (could have been 2 more) from the note that seemed to come from movies. Seemed that whoever wrote the note was a crime movie buff
There were three quotes, or takeoffs on movie lines. Dateline said the Ramseys weren't movie buffs, and wouldn't have watched these types of movies anyway.

I found it, it's Ruthless People. I feel better now.

ETA: I was wrong about the movies being the year she was killed. I have so much information in my head from these last couple of days I don't what is what, LOL. Sorry for that.

BirdieBoo said:
I am not sure because I am not an avid listener, but I bebleive Dr. Laura also uses the phrase "grow a brain" quite often.

The reason I think this is because my Mom uses the phrase a lot and she is an avid listener.
There were "lines" from three different movies as I recall, and not the types of movies the Ramseys would watch, even if they were movie attenders, which they aren't.

Buzz, check the 118000 strap thread, I left you a post there about the movies.

1. Overview
2. Dirty Harry (1971)
3. Nick of Time (1995)
4. Ransom (1996)
5. Ruthless People (1986)
6. Speed (1994)

And as we know Nick of Time was playing on the tv Christmas night in Boulder.
Bill Cox, one of the Whites house guests was watching it.

Nick of Time being about the kidnapping of a 6 yr old girl.

From Dirty Harry:

If I even think you're being followed, the girl dies. If you talk to anyone, I don't care if it's a Pekinese pissing against a lamppost, the girl dies...No car. I give you a certain amount of time to go from phone booth to phone booth. I ring four times. You don't answer by the fourth ring, I hang up and that's the end of the game. The girl dies...Cop!...I hope you're not stupid.

From the Ramsey RO:

Speaking to anyone about your situation such as police or F.B.I. will result in your daughter being beheaded. If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies. If you alert bank authorities, she dies. If the money is in anyway marked or tampered with, she dies. You will be scanned for electronic devices and if any are found, she dies.

Just came to my mind, anyways...

Tonight we tried an experiment. Reading the note aloud. It timed 2 minutes 15 seconds to read.

Does anyone know what the length of time it takes to trace a call, remember this was back in 1996.

The "ransom note" sounds more like an oral message than one intended to be written.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back