A chance encounter led to Karr's arrest - merged

i.b.nora

I am polka dot
Reaction score
How John Mark Karr Was Caught

"ABC News has learned that as of three weeks ago, U.S. law enforcement officials knew they might have a new suspect in the young beauty-queen's death. But they learned his identity only about a week ago."

So much for ANY investigative work prior to his arrest. Read the whole article.

i.b.nora said:
How John Mark Karr Was Caught

"ABC News has learned that as of three weeks ago, U.S. law enforcement officials knew they might have a new suspect in the young beauty-queen's death. But they learned his identity only about a week ago."

So much for ANY investigative work prior to his arrest. Read the whole article.
So no chance for DNA, no talking to the ex-wife, probably not even figuring out the child *advertiser censored* charges until after he was caught. Sheesh.

More from the article:

The Secret Stakeout

"U.S. law enforcement officials told ABC News that a little over a week ago Tracey sent Karr another kind of mail — a photograph delivered to a Thai post office box. Agents arranged a control delivery and were ready to spot their suspect.

How did the FBI nail Karr?

Sources told ABC News that the man who came for the mail delivery arrived on a 21-speed bicycle — a bicycle the mysterious man from the e-mails had recently mentioned purchasing. His identity was still unknown.

They followed Karr to his residence and finally learned his name — a name that in three short days has become infamous. John Mark Karr — the brand-new suspect in the decade-old case.

Karr is currently detained in Thailand and is on a 24-hour suicide watch."

So, did the Georgia police that have been credited with helping to get this guy, lick the stamp on the package?

I have a feeling that it is the main stream media including print and tv journalists who have done the bulk of the investigative work so far.

Other websites are saying that weeks before Patsy died they asked her if she wanted to meet the man suspected in killing her daughter. I wonder how they planned to orchestrate that move if they didn't even know his name until a week ago. It makes you wonder how much homework they put into this before calling every media outlet in the world prior to his arrest. OTOH, if Slimeball Tracey is the one who turned Karr's name over to the authorities, I don't expect much.

And Tracey sends Karr a photograph? And if nobody (not even Tracey) knew the guy's name and address, how was it addressed? Occupant? Resident? Guy Who Rides a Bicycle? (Like that wouldn't describe half of Thailand.)

And photograph of what or who?

I have this sinking suspicion that Tracey has been playing mind games with Karr for months after he found out how sick he was. Anything to further his "cause".

I also wouldn't be surprised if MT "leaked" information re the case that the public didn't know so that Karr would fall deeper into the hole he was digging. JMHO.

The information doesn't add up. First she's drugged and her death is accidental, then we find out that is hear-say, then the Thai police back tracked off their statement. Henry Lee says their were no drugs in her.

Now this suspect is saying he had sex with her. According to what's in the autopsy - that didn't happen.

Then later I heard that he gave explicet details pertaining to the condition of her body that only investigators knew about.

With his ex family stating he wansn't in Colorado that Christmas and knowing that he was an avid follower of this case, planning to write a book about it - I highly doubt they got their man.

Starling (Howdy i-b- nora :)

Starling said:
(Howdy i-b- nora :)

Hey Starling!!! What a nice surprise! Think about you alot. Especially on Tuesday nights. Drop by and say hello!

Here is another article outlining the superior investigation techniques that went into the capture of this guy:

Karr investigation began after arrest

As far as I can determine, this is a Michael Tracey, Ollie Gray and his creepy sidekick, possibly Lou Smit and of course, Jameson production. I have my private thoughts of how Mary Lacy fits into it.

Starling, I agree... I don't think they have their man either. Here's my favorite new quote:

I've had enough. So I will just come right out and say what others in this business apparently will not:

Mary Lacy, that's not your boy.

John Mark Karr as much killed JonBenet Ramsey as Mickey Mouse did. This is a fool's errand you're on, and it won't end pretty.

If you haven't noticed, the guy is a lunatic.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_4929054,00.html

I wonder how accurate these articles are. Mark Sandrock, from the Daily Camera met Karr in Paris in 2002 (he was responsible for initiating the email correspondence between Karr and Tracey). Unless Sandrock wasn't aware of his name....

I seriously think he could be the killer. After all these years, it would be wonderful to see some justice.

SuperDave said:
It's falling apart like the treehouse I built in 1990!
Forgot to include the quote.. Cracking line. That sums up this whole mess completely

How it started was only fate:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2334411&page=1

John Mark Karr: The Accidental Suspect

Aug. 20, 2006 — It may have been a chain of coincidence that ultimately led to the arrest of John Mark Karr. This weekend the Colorado newspaper man who apparently put that chain in motion explained how it all happened.

In the summer of 2002, Michael Sandrock, a 48-year-old newspaper columnist and runner, claims he casually met John Karr outside a bookshop in Paris. They struck up the type of conversation that American travelers in Europe typically do, introducing themselves in generalities.

Sandrock, a sportswriter en route to cover a race it Switzerland, introduced himself as a journalist with the Daily Camera, a local newspaper in Boulder. Karr introduced himself as "John" — no last name — and said he was a writer from Amsterdam. During the next few days, the two would discuss in detail the mysterious death of six-year-old beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...r,1,141582.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

Two quotes from this article that picqued my curiosity:

"As the conversations intensified, Karr seemed to be holding back, smiling knowingly as he prodded Sandrock to speculate on who had done it."

"I said something about the intruder, and he kind of smiled a little bit," he said. "I always had a feeling if I had pursued it more, he was ready to tell me something. He needed to definitely talk to someone."

This was like the time that I got away with the Senior prank in High school. It wasn't enought to get away with it......others had to KNOW that I got away with it. Otherwise, there is no pleasure in it.

It seems to me that this guy was trying to get caught for years....almost dating back to the point where it became clear that they weren't looking for him. It was almost as if he was trying to come clean to the crime, without actually saying it, and no one would listen to him and connect the dots. I think he was feeding them bits and pieces, almost waiting for the 'Aha' moment when the recipient acknowledges that he did it.

It almost seems like Karr was surprised that he wasn't caught. I think, honestly, that 10 years of the world not knowing what he did was eating at him. Many of these so-called masterminds just can't stand it when they actually do pull off the perfect crime and get away with it. Look at the BTK killer....why contact anyone after so long and chance getting caught? Because people had forgotten about him. We are up against the 10 year anniversary of the case and I think it is fair to say that everyone (DA, police, investigators, US) had all settled into their Ramseys did it camp or intruder did it camp and assumed that the case had gone cold, never to be solved. I think the common consensus for the RDI camp was that any chance at knowing the truth was gone. I think for the IDI camp, any hope of the police rooting them out was gone. I think the police had two people assigned to the case and I think that was just for show.

I think, honestly, the death of Patsy is what made Karr come out and start trying to get himself caught...again, assuming it is actually he who did it. I think he was both intent on getting his credit for it and for having elluded police for so long. I think he also felt he wanted to clear Patsy once and for all. I also think this was Karr's way of revisiting the scene of the crime.

I still think the DA has much we don't know about.

Cal

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back