LKL Aug. 22: Karr's legal advisors state no DNA taken as far as they know

Hyatt

Reaction score
I just heard Harmon and Patience VZ (the lawyers who spoke to him) say that no DNA sample has been taken from Karr, as far as they know. Can you believe this?????? What the heck is going on here? This is nuts.

JMO

Hyatt said:
I just heard Harmon and Patience VZ (the lawyers who spoke to him) say that no DNA sample has been taken from Karr, as far as they know. Can you believe this?????? What the heck is going on here? This is nuts.

JMO
He was to be re-tested here in the US anyway, so maybe ithey are just going to do it when they take custody of him.

Two things. First, the key words are "as far as they know." Karr has not hired them as his lawyers, and even though they spoke with him yesterday for an extended period, they may not know everything that's gone on because they aren't his legal counsel at this point.

Second, Boulder hasn't yet taken jurisdiction over Karr at this point. I'm not sure what legalities come into play, don't have a law degree myself, but remember on Sunday he was in Thailand and only today did he waive extradition to Colorado. There may well be legal wrangling that somehow plays a role in when and how DNA is taken as far as chain of custody is concerned.

The LAST thing anyone wants in this case is a question about DNA chain of custody.

Louisa said:
Two things. First, the key words are "as far as they know." Karr has not hired them as his lawyers, and even though they spoke with him yesterday for an extended period, they may not know everything that's gone on because they aren't his legal counsel at this point.

Second, Boulder hasn't yet taken jurisdiction over Karr at this point. I'm not sure what legalities come into play, don't have a law degree myself, but remember on Sunday he was in Thailand and only today did he waive extradition to Colorado. There may well be legal wrangling that somehow plays a role in when and how DNA is taken as far as chain of custody is concerned.

The LAST thing anyone wants in this case is a question about DNA chain of custody.
Thanks for that info. I sure would like to know what LE DOES have on him. Did anyone tape the DA's press conference? At one point, Lacy turned to someone and said, in response to a question: "Can I answer that?" Does anyone remember what the question was? She was told not to answer it and didn't.

Somewhere early on as the whole Karr thing broke, someone here suggested that maybe LE had obtained DNA from one of Karr's sons to test--as I believe is similar to something that happened in the BTK investigation...? If that WAS done, how far could it take investigators in knowing how likely JMK's DNA would or would not be a match, anyone know?

I dont think Boulder had been in contact with anyone in Karr's family prior to the arrest.

Backwoods, is that merely a rumor/suggestion? Or was that something that someone read somewhere that has been suppressed since the case broke?

If LE had tested one of Karr's children, the situation would essentially be this:
a child receives half his/her genetic material from the mother and half his/her genetic material from the father. Assuming the DNA in the panties gives LE a full DNA profile (and from what I've read, I'm assuming it does), forensics would be able to have enough to have at least a grave suspicion that JMK was involved--assuming, of course, that they're combining those DNA markers with all the other things they have (the child *advertiser censored* things, the yahoo email address, the correspondence with MT, etc.). I'm guessing it would never be enough alone to make a conviction but would be enough to raise hairs on the back of LE's hands, necks, and arms!

Now, if that's all just rumor, it is of course just a moot point. Don't know how they would have obtained such samples without the cooperation of the ex-wife, and she doesn't seem to be in a cooperative mood if she's searching for pictures to provide an alibi.

Louisa - It was offered as a speculation only, I think, early on in the Karr doings--when it was known that he was in custody and that he had children but before we began to hear much of his family life beyond that.

Tybee - I can't remember how the thing with BTK's DNA groundwork went? Seems like they obtained DNA through a clinic at a daughter's college or something...? Was it without consent?

Not being disrespectful to his ex..but wouldnt LE have to be sure Karr owned the boys before they could rely on their dna.Thats one reason I would think it doubtful their dna was obtained

That's a good point, Dingo. But then, with JMK out of the country, with a day or two before they could secure his own, it might have been worth trying, even if there was doubt about parentage.

Backwoods, thanks for clearing up that it was speculation.

Hyatt, sorry your question got lost in the other DNA talk. Can't say that I remember Mary Lacy specifically asking someone whether she could answer a specific question. A lot of the questions came across as inaudible on the set I was listening on, anyway! Maybe someone caught it?

That Wendy woman who was on LKL, who is friends with Polly's killer Richard. She sounds just like Gnarlene "Marlene" while watching lkl I had my eyes closed just listening and that voice rang in my ears, I knew I had heard that voice before and then it registered in my head as to who that woman sounds just like. If some members are wondering who is Gnarlene she is the huge woman that believes scott P is innocent and she is so inlove with Scott P.

JMK was swabbed in Bangkok, on Thursday, Aug. 17th. Some articles indicated they were going to test it there, another article said they were going to send it back to the U.S. for testing. Here it takes just over three days to do a full DNA test. There, who knows. I have expected to hear the results, but it could be that CO (is too embarassed) may not release the results immediately (unless the DNA is positive). I am not expecting a match, but wouldn't it be a great day if it did match.

Buzzm1 said:
JMK was swabbed in Bangkok, on Thursday, Aug. 17th. Some articles indicated they were going to test it there, another article said they were going to send it back to the U.S. for testing. Here it takes just over three days to do a full DNA test. There, who knows. I have expected to hear the results, but it could be that CO (is too embarassed) may not release the results immediately (unless the DNA is positive). I am not expecting a match, but wouldn't it be a great day if it did match.
The 2 attorneys that were with him today were on LKL. They said that "they had it on good authority" that the swab test never happened, despite what the media is saying.

Okay, among other things that came out of Thailand was this: the authorities there introduced Karr at one point as JonBenet Ramsey!

Let's not forget they also had to retract the claims that Karr asserted he picked JB up at school and that he had sexual intercourse with her.

Right now I'm not trusting too much that comes out of Thailand. I think I'll wait for the U.S. authorities.

JBean said:
The 2 attorneys that were with him today were on LKL. They said that "they had it on good authority" that the swab test never happened, despite what the media is saying.
I can't imagine a DNA test not being taken.

I wondered about it before because they would need a warrent for a sample.

Louisa said:
Okay, among other things that came out of Thailand was this: the authorities there introduced Karr at one point as JonBenet Ramsey!

Let's not forget they also had to retract the claims that Karr asserted he picked JB up at school and that he had sexual intercourse with her.

Right now I'm not trusting too much that comes out of Thailand. I think I'll wait for the U.S. authorities.
This is very wise because if the clown who was the head of immigration is anything to go by then it could all be just rubbish.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back