Q/A for 8/23

HollywoodBound

Reaction score
I've heard over and over again that the foreign DNA found on JBR was degraded and had only 10 markers. What degrades DNA? Does it degrade over time on its own or does something have to come in contact with it for it to degrade and have less markers?

HB, I shall try to answer your queries.

DNA degrades over time, yes. It also degrades if it comes in contact with bacteria. BUT, if it HAD come in contact with bacteria, JB's DNA would have also been degraded. It wasn't. Therefore, we can assume it was done over time.

SuperDave said:
HB, I shall try to answer your queries.

DNA degrades over time, yes. It also degrades if it comes in contact with bacteria. BUT, if it HAD come in contact with bacteria, JB's DNA would have also been degraded. It wasn't. Therefore, we can assume it was done over time.
Thanks SD. I may not always agree with you but I really appreciate the answers :)

How is JMK being charged on two counts of kidnapping- first-degree kidnapping, second-degree kidnapping?

I've seen the question asked about the murder charges and understand that, but am perplexed on the kidnapping charges? :confused:

Anybody know this?

This is what I found when I searched for the legal definitions under Colorado state law:
Kidnapping
130.​
First degree kidnapping. Any person who does any of the following acts

with the intent thereby to force the victim or any other person to make any
concession or give up anything of value in order to secure a release of a person
under the offender's actual or apparent control commits first degree kidnapping:
18-3-301 (1)
a) Forcibly seizes and carries any person from one place to another; o(1r) (a)
b) Entices or persuades any person to go from one place to another; o(1r) (b)
c) Imprisons or forcibly secretes any person. (1) (c)
Whoever commits first degree kidnapping is guilty of a class 1 felony if the
person kidnapped shall have suffered bodily injury; but no person convicted of
first degree kidnapping shall suffer the death penalty if the person kidnapped was
liberated alive prior to the conviction of the kidnapper.
(2)
First degree kidnapping is a class 2 felony if the kidnapped person was liberated
unharmed.
18-3-301 (3)
131.​
Second degree kidnapping. Second degree kidnapping is a class 2 felony if

the person kidnapped is a victim of a sexual assault or a robbery.
18-3-302 (3)
Second degree kidnapping is a class 3 felony if the kidnaping is accomplished
with intent to sell, trade, or barter the victim for consideration or does not
include sexual assault or robbery but is accomplished by the use of a deadly
weapon or any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to
reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon or if the kidnapping is
accomplished by the perpetrator representing that he or she is armed with a
deadly weapon.
18-3-302 (4)
Any person who kidnaps a child not his own and under the age of eighteen years
of age commits a class 4 felony, if the person kidnaped is not a victim of sexual
assault or robbery, and the use of a deadly weapon is not employed.

I don't know if anyone has asked this, but what the heck is up with Rita Cosby's voice? Is she hoarse or has she been taking testosterone?? ;)

englishleigh said:
I don't know if anyone has asked this, but what the heck is up with Rita Cosby's voice? Is she hoarse or has she been taking testosterone?? ;)
Maybe she's going through a sex change!!:eek:

lilpony said:
Maybe she's going through a sex change!!:eek:

ROFL...I don't know but her voice has been like this for a week and you'd think it would have gotten better by now, unless she is constantly talking all the time, and she may be.

englishleigh said:

Is it worse this week? :D Sometimes Rita's voice drives me to distraction. I have always thought her voice was raspy, but talking alot probably makes it worse.

I read somewhere that her voice is raspy or hoarse due to a medical problem. Can't remember the specifics but she got sick and something happened that made one side of her vocal chords paralyzed.

Edit to add: This illness I am speaking of happened a long time ago.

Did the Ramsey's discover the Ransome note before they found JBR? If that is the case why in the heck did they not search every room in the house first? They would have known right there she was murdered.

JDB said:
Did the Ramsey's discover the Ransome note before they found JBR? If that is the case why in the heck did they not search every room in the house first? They would have known right there she was murdered.
Yes...the finding of RO precipitated the 911 call...which reported a "kidnapping".

SleuthingSleuth said:
Yes...the finding of RO precipitated the 911 call...which reported a "kidnapping".
Thanks and what was the Ramsey's excuse of not searching the entire house.

I listened to the story that JMK told the woman in CA., that he hid under the bed while Patsy tucked in JonBenet and read her a story. Well, this certainly can't be true. Patsy told LE JonBenet was sound asleep!

JDB said:
John claimed he ran through the house a bit, and especially checked on Burke's room.

He also admitted that even though the RO warned them not to call the police or else, first thing he told his wife to do was call the police.

SleuthingSleuth said:
He also admitted that even though the RO warned them not to call the police or else, first thing he told his wife to do was call the police.
Who BTW was hysterical while he himself was calm and collected.
No surprise that she forgot to mention to the police that they coming to the house could cause their daughter to be killed.

I wonder if JR was still reading the RN when PR called their friends? Wouldn't he have enough common sense to tell her not to call anyone else.

Were they ever questioned about what JR was doing while PR was calling friends?

JDB said:
Why would the Ramseys search the house if they believe their daughter was kidnapped?

Of course, there is no excuse as to why the Boulder police didn't do a thorough search.

kayebee said:
Why would the Ramseys search the house if they believe their daughter was kidnapped?

Of course, there is no excuse as to why the Boulder police didn't do a thorough search.
kaybee If you recall when Laci went missing that was the first thing done. The house and yard and even under the house was searched.

Blondieskatz said:
I wonder if JR was still reading the RN when PR called their friends? Wouldn't he have enough common sense to tell her not to call anyone else.

Were they ever questioned about what JR was doing while PR was calling friends?
I look at it this way - your child is missing, and there is a ransom note. You better bet I'm going to read that thing straight through all the way before I decide what my next course of action is going to be.

Supposedly John was on his knees on the floor in the back hallway under the lights where the light was better with the note spread out in front of him so he could read it faster (yes, I'm the queen of consecutive use of prepositional phrases). You would definitely think that he would have had a chance to read it through by the time Patsy was done with 911 and wanted to call the Whites and the Fernies and Rev. Rol.

I think they tried to say that they hadn't read the note all the way through before they made calls as an excuse for why they weren't concerned about their daughter being decapitated when they invited everyone over - but that makes no sense to me.

This ransom note is your only link to where your daughter is and who has her and how to get her back. Are you really not going to read it all the way through before you decide what to do next? Her life depended on it. If that note had been real, JonBenet's head would have been cut off very soon after the police arrived in their squad cars. Who would take that risk? Who would allow their other child to leave the house when they don't know where the baby is and who has her?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kac1991
Back