GUILTY NE - Rosalyn Clarke, 17 mos, beaten to death, Bellevue, 21 Aug 2006

BellevueMom

Reaction score
I just wanted to get some takes on this, here is some additional info that isn't being shared by the media.​
Chantal is a single mom who has devoted her life to her 5 kids. She has babysat other kids off and on for years as a way of supporting her family. She is not on public assistance and takes great pride in that fact. I know of several families that she has babysat for, and she is a friend of mine. We aren't 'best friends' but we have known them for several years, my kids have played with hers, and we've gone out with them occassionaly. I know her family pretty well (parents, sibling etc.) and these are normal folks. I have been in her house unannounced and NEVER ONCE seen any of her kids, or the kids she was watching, in any kind of dangerous situation, nor have I seen anything uin her that would indicate abuse. I realize this isn't a definative impression, but you'd think at some point, something in the last few years would have jumped out as a warning flag that she's abusive or something.​
The relatives quoted in several media outlets as being Chantal's relatives, are actually her ex's parents and they support her completely and have the kids at this time. If anyone would have room or grounds to verify abuse or a pattern of abusive tendencies, it would be these people. Although I realize I could be wrong, I'm finding it hard to believe this was anything except a horrible accident. I'm sure they will release more info as the case progresses, but needless to say this is horrible for everyone involved. I realize the police would not likely launch these accusations without some hard evidence, but the autopsy was inconclusive so I'm not sure how they could have come up with anything definitive. I know she was questioned for about ten hours at the police station throughout the night after it happened, and then again for several hours yesterday. At the end of the questioning they arrested and charged her. She could not get a lawyer because she can't afford one, and can't get one appointed unless she's formally charged with a crime.​
This charge, Child Abuse Resulting In Death, would indicate an intent to abuse the child right? I mean this is insinuating this wasn't an awful accident? It was originally reported as a death resulting from the child choking on something in the van, although cause of death is officially undetermined at this time. So does anyone know the Nebraska criteria for this charge? I'm concerned that in light of another woman in the last year in Omaha that killed a child in her care (bashed a poor baby's head in the floor) that they are overzealous to prosecute, even if it might not be what actually happened here. Keep in mind that as a single mom with 5 kids and very low income, she's had to move around a bit, she fits the profile for someone who could be abusive by social service standards, so could that be presenting a bias???​
I'll do some digging and see what I can find, but please keep this family and Rosie's family in your thoughts and prayers. I can't even imagine.​
Thoughts?
BellevueMom​
Thirty-year-old Chantal Randall has been arrested in connection with the death of 17-month-old Rosylan Clarke. Ms. Randall was the child's baby-sitter. Rosie died on Monday afternoon. Randall is accused of Child Abuse Resulting in Death. Rosie was taken to the hospital on Monday afternoon and a preliminary autopsy was inconclusive. Omaha and Bellevue police have been conducting a joint investigation in the case.

In California "abuse" does not have to contain "intent." An injury could be accidentally perpetrated on a child and still considered abuse via "cruel and unusual punishment," "neglect," "failure to appropriately supervise or seek appropriate medical attention," and even "dangerous behaviors within close proximity to a child."

To lose a child due to an accident - regardless of what caused the accident - would be devistating at the very least. To then be punished for an accident would be the ultimate in misery.

If she didn't want the child to die, that death is punishment enough for whatever anyone is blaming her for.

How long can they hold her without officially charging her? Apparently all they've done is arrest her under suspicion of the crime, but she hasn't been charged officially yet. She was arrested at ten PM on Wednesday and is still in custody.

Anyone know this? It's Nebraska if it matters any.
BellevueMom

I would have a lot of questions. What kind of internal injuries were present- and how can the autopsy be inconclusive if there were internal injuries?
What are the parents of the children like? What condition was the child in when dropped off at daycare, and what were the parents like when they dropped it off?

Bellevue Toddler Who Choked To Death Identified

Investigators told KETV NewsWatch 7 that they were called to a home on Monday afternoon where 17-month-old Rosalyn Clarke was not breathing. Several officers performed CPR, but they were not able to save the child. She died at Midlands Hospital.

Arrest Shocks Families Of Accused, Child

An autopsy has uncovered something suspicious in the death of a toddler, police said. Chantal Randall, 30, was arrested and faces charges of child abuse resulting in death related to the death of 17-month-old Rosalyn Clarke. On Wednesday, Omaha police said preliminary autopsy results show Clarke died of internal injuries. The final report is not yet public.

Affordable Daycare

Chantal Randall, the babysitter accused in the death of 17-month-old Rosie Clarke, ran an unlicensed daycare out of her Omaha apartment.

So did April Rogers, a woman accused of killing a 6-month-old last December. Her trial begins next month.

These two recent cases highlight a frustrating and frightening dilemma for low and middle income families: a shortage of affordable, quality daycare.

The Nebraska Law defines child abuse as: “Abuse or neglect shall mean knowingly, intentionally, or negligently causing or permitting a minor child to be:

a) Placed in a situation that endangers his or her life or physical or mental health;

See the law for most other states here

FLORIDA: Statute prohibits willful or threatened act that harms or is likely to cause harm of physical abuse, neglect, sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, abandonment, or emotional/mental injury. Statute contains exemptions for religion, poverty, or corporal punishment.
This makes it sound like you can't say "Come on or I'll leave without you."

What does the last line mean - exemptions for poverty?

I'm waiting for a book that says "What you can legally do to discipline your kids" so I'll know for sure.

Right now, my daughter will be rotten and I'll say "The law says I have to feed you, it doesn't say you have to like it!" It's effective.

Well. I came out in support of Chantal when this all happened. However. The final autopsy shows time of death as several hours before she arrived at the hospital. That would have been while she was in Chantal's care. It also shows death due to blunt force trauma and a ruptured liver. That isn't an injury sustained during a CPR attempt, nor could it have happened while in the parent's care as it would have resulted in immediate and major problems that would have been noticed immediately. Prosecutors say she has admitted to numerous things that are too hideous to type. She is charged with second degree murder and held on a 2 Million bond.

Our focus now is making sure her children are cared for by their family and are helped through this time. She is due in January with her sixth child. Her family is wracked with grief right now and desperate to help these kids.

I don't know what else to say about this development. I was willing to defend her when the facts were vague, but now I just cannot. I can't get Rosie's picture out of my mind, and knowing what her last moments had to have been like makes me physically ill.

Please say some prayers for everyone involved.

BellevueMom

Bellevue Mom... I am sorry that you are so close to this situation. Those kids will need you and others around them. Prayers for you and the families involved.

BellevueMom said:
Please say some prayers for everyone involved.

BellevueMom

I'm really sorry. This must be so hard for you. (((hugs)))

Prosecutor: Woman Admits Abusing Child

Prosecutors said Randall admitted to punching the toddler in the stomach "as hard as she could," which sent the child across the room. Prosecutors said the child was covered with bruises.

Retelsdorf said Randall also admitted to putting a quarter in the child's mouth to make it looked as if she choked to death, the lawyers said.

Randall is charged with second-degree murder and her bond was set at $2 million.

An Omaha mother of seven children is going to prison for at least 11 years after being convicted in the death of 17-month-old Rosalyn Clarke.
"This was a blink of an eye, split second reaction to her pulling my hair, something minor," said Chantal Randall at the Omaha Correctional Center Tuesday afternoon.
The 31-year-old woman who pleaded no contest to child abuse resulting in death was sentenced Tuesday to between 25 and 35 years in prison. She could be eligible for parole in 11 to 16 years.

Randall told police she hit 17-month-old Rosalyn Clarke in the abdomen, then spent hours holding the child.
The child suffered blunt-force trauma to the liver and died from her injuries, investigators said.

more at link

http://jamiesnews10.blogspot.com/

Chantal Randall
Offense: Child abuse resulting in death
Sentence: 25 - 35 years
Incarceration Date: 1/29/2008
Parole Eligibility Date: 2/21/2019
Earliest Possible Release Date: 2/21/2024

here's an idea, why didnt she take her to the hospital?

btw why does it say 'babysitter'. its the baby's mom

No, it was a child she was providing daycare for.

I just wanted to get some takes on this, here is some additional info that isn't being shared by the media.

Chantal is a single mom who has devoted her life to her 5 kids. She has babysat other kids off and on for years as a way of supporting her family. She is not on public assistance and takes great pride in that fact. I know of several families that she has babysat for, and she is a friend of mine. We aren't 'best friends' but we have known them for several years, my kids have played with hers, and we've gone out with them occassionaly. I know her family pretty well (parents, sibling etc.) and these are normal folks. I have been in her house unannounced and NEVER ONCE seen any of her kids, or the kids she was watching, in any kind of dangerous situation, nor have I seen anything uin her that would indicate abuse. I realize this isn't a definative impression, but you'd think at some point, something in the last few years would have jumped out as a warning flag that she's abusive or something.

The relatives quoted in several media outlets as being Chantal's relatives, are actually her ex's parents and they support her completely and have the kids at this time. If anyone would have room or grounds to verify abuse or a pattern of abusive tendencies, it would be these people. Although I realize I could be wrong, I'm finding it hard to believe this was anything except a horrible accident. I'm sure they will release more info as the case progresses, but needless to say this is horrible for everyone involved. I realize the police would not likely launch these accusations without some hard evidence, but the autopsy was inconclusive so I'm not sure how they could have come up with anything definitive. I know she was questioned for about ten hours at the police station throughout the night after it happened, and then again for several hours yesterday. At the end of the questioning they arrested and charged her. She could not get a lawyer because she can't afford one, and can't get one appointed unless she's formally charged with a crime.

This charge, Child Abuse Resulting In Death, would indicate an intent to abuse the child right? I mean this is insinuating this wasn't an awful accident? It was originally reported as a death resulting from the child choking on something in the van, although cause of death is officially undetermined at this time. So does anyone know the Nebraska criteria for this charge? I'm concerned that in light of another woman in the last year in Omaha that killed a child in her care (bashed a poor baby's head in the floor) that they are overzealous to prosecute, even if it might not be what actually happened here. Keep in mind that as a single mom with 5 kids and very low income, she's had to move around a bit, she fits the profile for someone who could be abusive by social service standards, so could that be presenting a bias???

I'll do some digging and see what I can find, but please keep this family and Rosie's family in your thoughts and prayers. I can't even imagine.

Thoughts?
BellevueMom

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/3713881.html
Thirty-year-old Chantal Randall has been arrested in connection with the death of 17-month-old Rosylan Clarke. Ms. Randall was the child's baby-sitter. Rosie died on Monday afternoon. Randall is accused of Child Abuse Resulting in Death. Rosie was taken to the hospital on Monday afternoon and a preliminary autopsy was inconclusive. Omaha and Bellevue police have been conducting a joint investigation in the case.

im really sorry bellvuemom. she might have just lost it......but the thing i cant wrap my head around is her just sitting there for hours with the baby, instead of getting her help.

BellevueMom,

I am so sorry to hear about little Rosie. I hope and pray LE finds out the truth of whatever happened with Rosie and hope your friend has good counsel.

We have had a similar case come up a while back in my town. In that case the child's mother has led a very "colorful", unstable life, bouncing from fella to fella and household to household with her children. A mother from the church where the bio mom attended church as a child was providing free daycare in order to try and assist the child's mother while she searched for employment. The child's mother was associated with a man who is a bit unsavory and has some history with violence.

The child went to the church mom's house and while there could not be awakened after nap time. the death was ruled a homocide and Church/babysitter mom has been arrested. She has been in jail awaiting trial ever since. She and her family and friends firmly insist she is innocent of wrongdoing.

The bio mom, meanwhile has been around town trying to raise money to recoup funeral costs etc which I have on good authority were paid by the church at the time of the funeral.

Anywho, my point is that your friend, if accused of wrongdoing in the death of little Rosie, may have a looooong road ahead of her. The woman I described above has been seperated from her children for over a year now awaiting the opportunity to go to trial to prove her innocence. Your friend's life could be in one heck of an uproar for a very long time before the case is resolved.

BellvueMom - I am so sorry you have had to deal with this and hope I haven't rubbed salt into the wound. It wasn't my intention and I just realized that my stark listing of the sentencing came off very harsh. I apologize if I caused you any pain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back