774 users online (106 members and 668 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,107

    "Survivor" groups by race for Cook Islands

    link
    Some may call it exploiting racial tensions. CBS calls it darn good television.
    Jeff Probst popped in on The Early Show Wednesday morning, confirming the reports that the 20 castaways for Survivor: Cook Islands will be grouped by race, with competitors divided into four tribes consisting of whites, blacks, Asians and Hispanics.


    Apparently, "separate but equal" holds only the warmest of connotations for Mark Burnett.



    Like a good host, Probst had nothing but praise for the producers' controversial brainchild, calling the exercise in segregation a valuable social experiment, rather than a stunt to dig up some controversy--and raise ratings.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,098
    DK, I had to check a calendar to make sure it isn't April 1.

    Unbelievable! Though I have thought African-American contestants were sometimes at a disadvantage early in the game because people tend to form alliances with those to whom they immediately feel closest. Maybe this will make things more fair. But I find it troubling, just the same.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Of This World
    Posts
    21,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    DK, I had to check a calendar to make sure it isn't April 1.

    Unbelievable! Though I have thought African-American contestants were sometimes at a disadvantage early in the game because people tend to form alliances with those to whom they immediately feel closest. Maybe this will make things more fair. But I find it troubling, just the same.
    It was DS, not DK, who posted this. I never watch the show, lol.


    Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

    Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

    10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

    Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

    Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    It was DS, not DK, who posted this. I never watch the show, lol.
    Well hello DK
    It is always very nice to see you.
    I have not been watching the show either.I just saw the headline and posted the story.People here thought that it was a big deal when someone from our area was on the show.I did not think that it was a big deal.My aunt was sold a home by her years before she was on the show.My aunt could have cared less about watching her on the show.
    Respectfully,
    DS

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,711
    The D is next to the S on the Keyboard probably just a simple typo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,107
    Interesting...This will either reinforce or break stereotypes. I think that they probably picked the cream of the crop for each race or at least I hope that they did. So, it's anyone's guess who will win. I think each group will have its strengths and weaknesses, just as we all do in "real life."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,375
    The cream of the crop from each race? lol--did you see their picture? there is a really fat white guy and a really fat black girl--why do the producers allow out of shape people on this show?/ this is basically a physical contest--they're not playing checkers here,these are obstacle courses---and this race thing is even more divisive,another bad idea---Survivor was a great show til they started tinkering with the formula--decline in the ratings started with "All-Star' survivor show when pretty Amber and Ugly Boston Rob --since then,the ratings have gone down every year--Well,at least the Cook Islands are a great locale

  8. #8
    2luvmy's Avatar
    2luvmy is offline RIP Ragdoll. You don't get to choose how you're going to die, or when. You can only decide how you're going to live now.
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,219
    While they start out divided by race, I am sure the show has something up it sleeve to combine teams and eventually they will have to merge when the numbers dwindle. It will be an interesting show.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    6,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    The D is next to the S on the Keyboard probably just a simple typo
    Hi Amraann,
    Dark Knight was refering to the post by Nova.Nova refered to me as DK instead of DS.(Post #2.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    23,035
    Quote Originally Posted by 2luvmy
    While they start out divided by race, I am sure the show has something up it sleeve to combine teams and eventually they will have to merge when the numbers dwindle. It will be an interesting show.
    THis is how I see it happening. Just like when the teams were divided by age and sex, that didn't last long at all and then they were merged into two teams. THis is just a different way to start out and an attention getter.
    I hope it is a good show.
    I am ready for the new season to most things getting started.
    IMHO



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton
    The cream of the crop from each race? lol--did you see their picture? there is a really fat white guy and a really fat black girl--why do the producers allow out of shape people on this show?/ this is basically a physical contest--they're not playing checkers here,these are obstacle courses---and this race thing is even more divisive,another bad idea---Survivor was a great show til they started tinkering with the formula--decline in the ratings started with "All-Star' survivor show when pretty Amber and Ugly Boston Rob --since then,the ratings have gone down every year--Well,at least the Cook Islands are a great locale
    No, I haven't seen their photos. I must be blind as I didn't see a link for the photos.

    BTW, I think Amber and Rob make a cute couple. I also feel that Amber "allowed" Rob to do all of the dirty work; hence, allowing her to win the $1M.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton
    The cream of the crop from each race? lol--did you see their picture? there is a really fat white guy and a really fat black girl--why do the producers allow out of shape people on this show?/ this is basically a physical contest--they're not playing checkers here,these are obstacle courses---and this race thing is even more divisive,another bad idea---Survivor was a great show til they started tinkering with the formula--decline in the ratings started with "All-Star' survivor show when pretty Amber and Ugly Boston Rob --since then,the ratings have gone down every year--Well,at least the Cook Islands are a great locale
    Ummm...it's a reality show. The reality is that some people in this world are out of shape, and not every game on that show is physical. There are mental challenges as well.

    I like how they have "ugly" and "fat" people. It's a refreshing change from what you usually see on television.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ~*~ in the beautiful mountains of WV ~*~
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    No, I haven't seen their photos. I must be blind as I didn't see a link for the photos.

    BTW, I think Amber and Rob make a cute couple. I also feel that Amber "allowed" Rob to do all of the dirty work; hence, allowing her to win the $1M.
    Yeah, she was no dummy! I like them too! Love to hear Rob talk and ,whew, he's a cutie! I just love "Survivor". Would love to go on it, but don't think I could stay away from my children so long when they are still so young...but one day....


    Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the seperation of races for this show. It has been my experience in life that the races tend to seperate themselves in real life, why not in a reality show? I'm not saying that in prejudice...it is just a fact that we all tend to gather to what is familiar. I see it at conferences all of the time. Personally, I like to blend and make my rounds to everyone, but to put your head in the sand and say that there is not some self seperation of races is ludacris. I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,026
    Quote Originally Posted by ember
    Yeah, she was no dummy! I like them too! Love to hear Rob talk and ,whew, he's a cutie! And I love "Survivor". Would love to go on it, but don't think I could stay away from my children so long when they are still so young...but one day....


    Anyway, I see nothing wrong with the seperation of races for this show. It has been my experience in life that the races tend to seperate themselves in real life when, why not in a reality show? I'm not saying that in prejudice...it is just a fact that we all tend to gather to what is familiar. I see it at conferences all of the time. Personally, I like to blend and make my rounds to everyone, but to put your head in the sand and say that there is not some self sepration of races is ludacris. I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    Ember,

    It's long been my secret dream to go on Survivor as well, but I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and it just seems like a long time to be away from them right now. Still, I love the show. Survivor and The Apprentice are the only reality shows I have ever gotten into.

    I love the idea of dividing the team racially - I think it will be fascinating and make for an interesting season.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ~*~ in the beautiful mountains of WV ~*~
    Posts
    1,343
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    Ember,

    It's long been my secret dream to go on Survivor as well, but I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and it just seems like a long time to be away from them right now. Still, I love the show. Survivor and The Apprentice are the only reality shows I have ever gotten into.

    I love the idea of dividing the team racially - I think it will be fascinating and make for an interesting season.
    I completely understand, but when our children are old enough to be too embarrassed to have us around, lol, maybe I'll see ya on there!

    I have never watched the Apprentice, can't stand the Donald.... lol, but I do watch American Idol. That and Survivor are my only reality fixes!
    My husband used to be so totally against any reality shows...always said Survivor was stupid...until he got hooked too! Now he beats me to the living room when it's coming on . They are addictive!
    ~*~Think Globally, Act Locally! Please Recycle! ~*~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. "Sahara Davenport" from RuPaul's Drag Race has passed-away
    By shana in forum Celebrity and Entertainment News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM
  2. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:11 AM