GUILTY FL - Elly Lorey, 89, starved to death, Boca Raton, 18 Sept 2005

Shadow205

Reaction score
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A suburban Boca Raton woman and her husband were arrested for first-degree murder Wednesday after detectives found they'd kept the woman's 89-year-old mother in a darkened room in their upscale home and allowed her to starve death.
A grand jury indictment was returned Tuesday against Kerstin Fenn, 50, a yacht broker, and her husband, Toby Fenn, 47, a Palm Beach County tennis pro, for the murder of Elly Lorey, according to the Palm Beach county Sheriff's Office.

Detectives say the couple notified the sheriff's office of her death in September 2005. When deputies arrived at the couple's home at 21538 Woodchuck Court, they found Lorey dead and emaciated on a futon in the den.

Investigators say she was kept in a small room in which the air conditioning vent was sealed with cardboard and electricity and water were not running. She was not properly fed or hydrated, they said. Investigators believe the abuse started around December 2004.

The Fenns are being held without bond at Palm Beach County on the murder charge as well as a charge of aggravated elderly abuse.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/treasurecoast/content/local_news/epaper/2006/08/23/0823.html

Shadow205 said:
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A suburban Boca Raton woman and her husband were arrested for first-degree murder Wednesday after detectives found they'd kept the woman's 89-year-old mother in a darkened room in their upscale home and allowed her to starve death.
A grand jury indictment was returned Tuesday against Kerstin Fenn, 50, a yacht broker, and her husband, Toby Fenn, 47, a Palm Beach County tennis pro, for the murder of Elly Lorey, according to the Palm Beach county Sheriff's Office.

Detectives say the couple notified the sheriff's office of her death in September 2005. When deputies arrived at the couple's home at 21538 Woodchuck Court, they found Lorey dead and emaciated on a futon in the den.

Investigators say she was kept in a small room in which the air conditioning vent was sealed with cardboard and electricity and water were not running. She was not properly fed or hydrated, they said. Investigators believe the abuse started around December 2004.

The Fenns are being held without bond at Palm Beach County on the murder charge as well as a charge of aggravated elderly abuse.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/treasurecoast/content/local_news/epaper/2006/08/23/0823.html
Makes me absolutely ill to think that elderly and children are so disposable in today's society.:mad:

These two were bent on torture! With their finances, the Fenns could have easily hired someone to help with her mom's care. This was premeditated murder - nothing less. Someone needs to take them out on one of those "yachts", hog-tie and drop 'em overboard. But then that would be trashing the environment.

This one makes me sick!!!! Why would anyone want their own mother to suffer? Why not just put her in a nursing home if they didn't want her around? Unbelievable!!!:furious:

Why not just put her in a nursing home if they didn't want her around?

Because they didn't want to spend the $$$.

This make me ill.

Never mind indicting them. Let's just take them out and shoot them. No, that's too kind. How absolutely disgusting that these so-called people are still breathing the same air as human beings.

I put money on "they never" thought" that anyone would look at this death as anyless less "then an old frail women" dying.

They would answer a few questions, sign a few forms and that is it.

People like this have no empathy for others, the only thing, and I mean the only things that matters to them is themselves and money and more money.

Disgusting! I watched my family take care of my grandparents during their final years and it makes me so mad to see people treat their elderly parents this way. There is no punishment that I could see fit for this type of trash. My grandparents were cherished by our family. While it was sometimes difficult for my parents and family caring for them, they still look back on it and are thankful they were able to give them the care and comfort they deserved.

Totally disgusting.. I can't fathom how anyone could do this to their mother.. :furious: Lets just save the tax payers money and put these two in a nice dark cell and throw away the key.. oh and we can save money by not heating, cooling or feeding these 2 sub-humans. And they should be made to donate all money and assest to a charity that cares for the elderly. Probabtion if they ever get out should be years of work with the elderly- supervised of course! No more easy sentances for these creeps.

Kerstin V. Fenn

Sentence Date: 09/18/2009
Date In Custody: 10/14/2009

Offense: Abuse Elder/Disabled-Injury
Sentence: 5 years

Current Release Date: 06/14/2011
ACTUAL TIME SERVED: 1 year 8 months

Toby Fenn

Sentence Date: 09/18/2009
Date In Custody: 10/05/2009

Offense: Abuse Elder/Disabled-Injury
Sentence: 5 years

Current Release Date: 06/11/2011
ACTUAL TIME SERVED: 1 year 8 months 6 days

No WAY! For the abuse and indignity she suffered??

I truly appreciate the sentence updates you post on cases, Belinda, but sometimes I think I shouldn't read them because of things like this. A year and eight months...for deliberately torturing and starving your own mother to death...to save a dime. It just makes my blood boil.

its NOT ABUSE!!!! its premeditated slow murder.. GOD i wish.. karma was quicker.....wheres the MOB whern ya need em? murderers

One year and eight months.... the same amount of time they left this woman in her room to slowly die? That is pathetic. I am guessing they were fed daily, had running water and electricity for those 20 months?

This case disturbed me so very much. I don't understand the ridiculously light sentence. They tortured that woman to death. What kind of crap is elder abuse? Totally doesn't fit the crime. 1st Degree Premeditated Murder fits the crime. I lost my mother-in-law last June at 83 and I would have given anything to have had her even a minute longer. Every time we went out, we had to take her oxygen tank with us and I would have to run around to get a cart for her to ride on, which was somewhat difficult as I am rather limited myself. I didn't care. Every minute spent with her was a joy. I wish this could be true for all elderly people. I just don't understand......

This case disturbed me so very much. I don't understand the ridiculously light sentence. They tortured that woman to death. What kind of crap is elder abuse? Totally doesn't fit the crime. 1st Degree Premeditated Murder fits the crime. I lost my mother-in-law last June at 83 and I would have given anything to have had her even a minute longer. Every time we went out, we had to take her oxygen tank with us and I would have to run around to get a cart for her to ride on, which was somewhat difficult as I am rather limited myself. I didn't care. Every minute spent with her was a joy. I wish this could be true for all elderly people. I just don't understand......

BBM.

Not saying anything about THIS case but, some elderly people are really awful. Specifically my mother. I would not starve her to death but I do not ever want her living with me. She will have to go to a nursing home. She was never nice to us, is very selfish and demanding, never happy with anything. We take her out for lunch and it's complain complain complain! She tells us where to park, where to sit, what to order then pouts if we don't follow her directions. Complains the room is too cold (no matter the temperature). It's a guarantee the food won't be to her liking. So she doesn't get taken to lunch any more. Christmas gifts are never good enough. She doesn't like her grandchildren. She is only 69 but thinks she is 89 and wants to be waited on. For years she has asked my sister to make her plate at holiday meals! There is nothing physically wrong with her, she just wants to be catered to.

You are very very lucky to have a mother-in-law that brought joy to your life. She must have been a wonderful woman.

Gee, that sounds just like my mother! I broke contact with her 3 years ago. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, was truly the most wonderful person I have ever met. She loved me just as much and was such a wonderful mother to me for the 30 years I knew her. She was such an amazing blessing to my life. But, I know what you are saying. Some mothers are real 'muthas' LOL. Even if she was hell on earth, she didn't deserve to be stashed in a room and starved to death. Surely there were other options. We have a duty, no matter what, to care for our parents when they get older, even if that means putting them in a nursing home because we can't live with them. I have an older brother who lives with (scabs off) my mother, but I know he will never step up to the plate. Anyway, I guess that's enough rambling. Sorry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back