Thread: Despondent 91-Year-Old Man Kills Wife, Self

Despondent 91-Year-Old Man Kills Wife, Self

news link

PORTLAND, Ore. A 91-year-old man despondent over his wife's need to move to a nursing facility shot her to death and then killed himself in Clackamas County.

The couple had been married for 62 years, and police say the man could not bear to be away from his wife.

"This is an extraordinarily tragic event that culminated in a murder-suicide," said Detective Jim Strovink, spokesman for the Clackamas County sheriff's office.

Anthony Joseph Liberto, 91, and his wife, Beverly Lolita Liberto, 85, met on a dance floor in Portland 64 years ago. He drove a bread truck for Franz Bakery, and she worked in real estate. They were an active couple, continuing into retirement with their dancing and also playing golf.

But three years ago, Beverly Liberto was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. As her disease progressed, she needed more and more help with basic daily care.

Three months ago, police say, Anthony Liberto put her in a nursing facility. But he couldn't bear to be without her and returned within the day to take her back. Police say he simply picked her up and left.

Thanks, dark_shadows, for posting this. Obviously, the meaning of life for this man ended with the death of his wife. Will they meet again in another life?

That's very sad. I don't harbor anger towards him, though, as I usually do when it comes to people who take the lives of others. Maybe I should, but I don't.

iambehaving is offline ~Life may not be the party we expected, but as long as we are here we might as well dance.~
    Julianne.. I actually felt the same way when I read this article. Not that murder is ever the answer. but after 62 years of marriage he must of felt no other choice. I wonder why both of them living together in a nursing home wasn't an option? My gut feeling is that he did this so they could start a new life together beyond all the pain that was left for them both here. So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWolf
    Thanks, dark_shadows, for posting this. Obviously, the meaning of life for this man ended with the death of his wife. Will they meet again in another life?
    Hi WhiteWolf,
    Thank-you for the post.
    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Thanks for this bittersweet post. I too hope they will find each other on the dance floor once again.

Quote Originally Posted by iambehaving
    I wonder why both of them living together in a nursing home wasn't an option?
    Do you know how expensive these places are? They aren't cheap.